8th Ed BA Tactica.

Morticon

I'll add to the chorus:

- Stormravens are awesome.  I'm pretty happy I had 3 from the Angel's Fury formation, but I wonder how long until the

- I dropped 10 DC with plasma pistols into a Khorne Deamon Prince's backside, over charged them and he fell... expensive, but helpful.  They charged the pack of dogs next to the prince and didnt do very well

- When I play the Twin Lascannon Razorback with a Tactical squad with a heavy flamer inside, I play like Tau: the razorbacks drive around the backfield blasting thing while the tactical squads jump out and flame stuff up when needing to rebuff a quickly closing enemy

- Land Raiders are no joke.  5x Twin Lascannon Razorbacks is a good counter

- 3mm magnets for arm-to-shoulder joints & jump packs

More to follow as I test things out...

I'm itching to build a company champion from leftover parts. Aside the fact that he looks really cool, is he of any use at all?

That's a good question... my first inclination is: no and it depends.

Space Marines in general seem to be middle of the road at everything.  They don't dominate the fight phase.  So you work to whittle them down with mobile firepower, then use the fight phase to clean up the remainder.  In this instance, the Champion isnt adding to softening up the target, and when they are softened up, your captain and Primaris LT can play the Champion role in breaking the enemy.

In the shooting element of the game, isnt it the inverse against shooty armies?  You want to fix and close with the enemy to chop them up.  In this case, the dudes you are running around with will do the leg work.. the Champion filling an unnecessary niche role in that the added benefit doesnt cover the added cost.

And if you want to go all fluffly... I suppose it depends on the edition?

I could be wrong on all of this... but it's my first gut reaction.

I am thinking company champion with a small unit of jump veterans or Van Vets, out even an assault squad, to act as a pseudo challenge soaker. With the rerolls and equipment, they're good for hitting other characters in combat at a cheap price. Hopefully you got the charge because of jump packs.

But that's all untested. But they do help fill out a vanguard detachment

Edited by Father Mapple

I ran one with a jp last game, wasn't terribly effective but he did tie up a unit of grey hunters and saved a lot of damage on his shield. Put it this way i probably won't take him again

He was lurking around with an ancient and squad of death company which were blasted off the board by a knight so you guys might have better results

Had my first game on Saturday. Played against Necrons.  if you want infantry to die, focus them down hard.  I let my opponent reanimate 1 squad like 3 times. Oh and don't waste lascannon/missile/melta on their vehicles with that dam quantum shield, gotta plink them to death.

Necrons are really tough, and if they get you to play the attrition game, you will definitely lose. Focus Fire for the win.

Anyway, got a game tonight, where I'm going to try out a hidden gem of a unit I think will do very well, and may be one of the few units efficient enough to take on hordes.

Company Vets (5)

Vet Sarge with Storm Bolter, and PW of your choice.

4 Vets with Storm Bolter/Chainsword.

Unit puts out 32 Str 4 attacks that hit on 3+ the turn they get to both shoot and charge, plus 3 attacks from the sarges pw. All for the pittance of 90+ cost of PW.

Enough to wipe a guardsmen squad in a single round, and really dent those bigger blobs.

Gonna try out 2 or 3 of them tonight in Twin AC razorbacks, Dakka Dakka my friends.

I got my first real game with the BA in, and managed to play them very much how I used to play in 5th.  Jump infantry and tanks.

Really like Baal predators.

Vanguard did great for me.  Only had 3 storm shields since I can't seem to find more in my stuff.  Vanguard (along with supporting characters) managed to assault a Daemon prince, 2 helbrutes and some havocs and wiped them out.

Sanguinary guard did not do as well, but they got separated from the support characters during the game.

Vindicators don't seem as worthwhile anymore.

Necrons are really tough, and if they get you to play the attrition game, you will definitely lose. Focus Fire for the win.

Anyway, got a game tonight, where I'm going to try out a hidden gem of a unit I think will do very well, and may be one of the few units efficient enough to take on hordes.

Company Vets (5)

Unit puts out 32 Str 4 attacks that hit on 3+ the turn they get to both shoot and charge, plus 3 attacks from the sarges pw. All for the pittance of 90+ cost of PW.

Enough to wipe a guardsmen squad in a single round, and really dent those bigger blobs.

Gonna try out 2 or 3 of them tonight in Twin AC razorbacks, Dakka Dakka my friends.

Give them jump packs so they can deepstrike within 12" and you're golden.

Company Vets (5)

Fun unit, if a little fragile. Would look awesome though. 

It's a slightly gimmicky loadout so I'm going to wait for the codex before I build anything like that!

Company Vets (5)

Fun unit, if a little fragile. Would look awesome though. 

It's a slightly gimmicky loadout so I'm going to wait for the codex before I build anything like that!

I'm just using my bolter/chainsword DC models, since otherwise they aren't seeing much table.

I want to start a non mechanized Patrol detachment using Burning of Prospero, so what are good weapons for Devastators? One unit of Missile Launchers and the other unit, what, Plasma Cannons, Laser Cannons?

Lascannons are good against large targets like vehicles and monsters. They can reliably strip wounds from tough targets quickly. Missile Launchers don't hit quite as hard but are still quite good and are decent against massed targets as well. Jack of all trades, master of none.

Plasma is also a good all-round option provided you have a character who can allow the squads to reroll 1s. Overcharged plasma almost equals lascannons in its ability to put down vehicles and monsters but has the rate of fire to target infantry too. They are particularly good against multi-wound infantry like Terminators, SG, Primaris etc. But you do need to overcharge plasma to be effective which means investing in a Captain to babysit the squad. It also means you don't really want the squad moving as a -1 to hit make overcharging too risky.

If you are planning a firebase for your army then a Plasma Dev unit and a Razorback with Lascannons or Assault Cannons are a good start. Add a Dreadnought for extra firepower and a bit of CC punch against anyone trying to Deep strike near them. Lastly add a Captain for rerolls to all 3 units and you have a solid amount of firepower with some rerolls and a counter-charge element that can rain fire on your enemies while the jump packers advance to deliver the killing blow.

I feel like Lascannons are definitely close on the list of things to use. Though Missile Launchers are a bit more generalized, the punch of a lascannon seems to be a better option. A -3 AP and D6 really puts the hurt on things.

Missile Launchers are great generalist weapons but you really need to concentrate on stripping wounds in my opinion. Having played with a bunch of missile launchers, the lascannon was much better for taking out any multi-wound model.

Edited by Spagunk

I have an interesting idea. Not sure if it has been mentioned before in this thread....

Devastator Squad. 4 Heavy Flamers. Rhino.

Zoom up close, and unload 4D6 S5 weapons onto a horde, plus the 10 S4 shots from the 5 Bolters in the unit.

Delete.

I ran two of these this weekend in razorbacks. It's pretty nice, but next time i'm only bringing one. 

Hmm I wonder if I should consider one instead of a Predator..?

It all depends on the type of list you're building. Do you want a list heavy in bodies? Heavy in Mech? Alpha Strike? Generalist list?

There are a lot of variables that go into list building in 8th. Even more so than previous editions. When deciding to use Razorbacks over Baals & Preds you need to keep in mind that your list will be focused differently. Are you using the vehicles to take down the big baddies and infantry to go against their infantry? Or using the vehicles for anti-infantry and your infantry for anti-tank/monster? 

Then as I mentioned earlier you need to decide how your list is going to play. Are you going to grab and hold objectives with defensive gun lines? Alpha strike your opponent in the hopes of crippling their force? 

These thoughts should be running through your head when you're building a list. Think about what types of opponents you will be playing. What units they might bring. What counters those units? 

Expect your opponent to have flyers. Flyers are back in a big way now. Make sure you have something that can take them down and expect a -1 to hit against them. 

If you're playing for fun. Disregard everything I posted above here. Find models you really like the look of and play those.

I plan on running 1 of each myself Luther along with a relic Sicaran for my long range support!

What sort of points / power level do you think you'd need to fit them all in??
Pretty sure jorre has entered a 1500 point event

Anyone try whirlwinds yet? They serm pretty good just based on reading their stats.

I have! The S7 ones are great.  2dam, and -1 is solid, despite the lower amount of shots.  No LOS and epic range is also great.  

If you have the slots available, then, for 30 points more or so you can field two, which will probably work out better than the Scorpios - but otherwise, I can HIGHLY recommend the Scorp.