Keywords in Kill Teams

Vansh

Trying to figure this out after reading both Imperium Books. Deathwatch Kill Teams are really the only unit that gains keywords.

Does this mean if you gain the terminator keyword you can teleport in?

Does this mean if you gain the jump pack rule and count as flying, things that shoot better at flying units shoot better at units that contain Vanguard Veterans?

If you gain the Bike keyword do you gain Turbo boost to advance an automatic 6"?

Rules as written and as intended I would answer yes to all of these questions and why I ask y'all these same 3 questions. We already know GW misspelled Deathwatch as Deatwatch for Terminator weapons....

I've read through a lot of post here and amongst a lot of competitive players the general consensus is if it references marine page use marine points, if it references deathwatch page use deathwatch points.

Cheers, any opinions or suggested of RAI/RAW would be appreciated and some type of consensus among the Deathwatch Community.

No, you don't get any rules that aren't on your datasheet. That's only for rules that interact with the Keywords, so you can't get in a Rhino as it restricts the Terminator keyword, etc.

The only exception is Fly, as the main rules interacts with that Keyword, but I forget if adding a Vanguard gives Fly or just Jump Pack.

The Kill Team rules are very clear. You do not gain teleport for adding a terminator. They spell out what you do gain: Unflinching to auto pass morale checks, as well as the keyword "Terminator". But there is no further set of rules associated with that keyword in either RAW or RAI as far as we know.

This applies to each of your three questions. A kill team with an added VV doesn't gain the "Fly" keyword. It gains "Jump Pack" and an ability that makes the unit behave as if it had "Fly" in one specific instance.

I should also add that I agree that technically the Terminator or Jump Pack keywords do have some obvious rules baggage, such as disallowing rhino transport. But I firmly believe those keywords are distinct and separate from the additional special rule benefits granted in the unit entries for standalone squads of Deathwatch Terminators and Vanguard Veterans.

Just poorly written, I can see both sides and honestly it doesn't effect me writing a list. Just bothers me after GW said their rules have been proof read etc. For me it's a no duh a unit with a terminator can't embark on a Rhino. So for me adding the keyword is ambiguous and confusing.

People are assuming that Keywords are tied to special abilities when they are not, and they are not intended to be. That's where the confusion lies.

We need to understand that very few special rules are universal, and that abilities listed under the Datasheets are for that unit - not that keyword. Effects from abilities and limitations are tied to Keywords, such as <Chapter> get rerolls or <Terminators> can't ride in such and such. You can see that under Teleport Strike, Turbo Boost and Jump Pack Assault it does not say the ability is tied to <Terminator>, <Biker> or <Jump Pack>, but rather this unit.  It's not poorly written (there are things that are, but this isn't one of them); people are just making wrong assumptions.

Getting all the abilities is definitely not RAI, and the RAW doesn't imply it does either.

The books do show a fair bit of closeted testing on things that will hopefully see an FAQ very quickly as things make little sense. 

The special case ability of Deathwatch to take terminators, bikers, or Vanguard as part of a troop choice with noticeable benefits; but at the same time denying them most of their dedicated transports (Rhinobacks, Drop Pods, and even Landraiders are off the table), if not chosen correctly. the Corvus is the only thing that can reliably transport any kill team load out. 

I think people are confusing this because they're reading the index spoilers primarily and NOT the rules presented in the BRB, particularly for Matched Play.  At least, that seems to be the indication given what's been posted around here lately.

Archived