Vendetta's are back baby!

gilt_imp

gallery_97889_13186_180932.png

Okay correct me if I'm wrong but I think Vendettas are not back. They're far from back.

Assumption Number One: ALL models are affected by the Heavy weapon type UNLESS their datasheet specifies otherwise. A model that has moved in the preceding movement phase subtracts 1 to hit from Heavy weapons in the shooting phase.

Some models have special rules in their datasheets that mitigate this.

The Vulture has Strafing Run, which says that when targeting units without FLY keyword, you get +1 to hit. Vultures are base BS4+. If they move and shoot Heavy weapons, they go to BS5+. But strafing run mitigates this against models that don't have FLY so you can move and shoot Heavy weapons at non-flying units at 4+. If a Vulture sits dead still in Hover mode and shoots a non-flying target, it goes to BS3+.

The Imperial Knight has the Super-Heavy Walker rule and one of the sentences in it simply states that it can fire Heavy weapons after moving without penalty.

The Avenger Strike Fighter and Lightning Strike Fighter are base BS3+ (at least when at full HP). When they move, their heavy weapons go to 4+.

The Vendetta has none of this. if you look at the datasheet, the Vendetta is base BS4+. All of its weapons are Heavy. If it moves, it basically goes to 5+. It does not have Strafing Run or any rule that lets it move and fire at normal ballistic skill. Your ace Vendetta pilot turns into an Ork if they nudge the throttle a little.

So as for everyone getting excited over using the 12 transport capacity on a Vendetta to airdrop troops or anyone excited over using the Vendetta as anything other than a stationary turret in hover mode, if my interpretation of the rules is correct, then that dream is gone. The Vendetta can only fire its weapons with a 4+ to hit if it sits in Hover mode. Yes, you have 3x2 lascannons, but they're 3x2 lascannons that only hit on 5+.

Please correct me if I'm wrong because I like Vendettas.

Edited by IVIilitarus

The Valk suffers from the same issues but doesnt have 3/6 Lascannons.

So I'm still happy I can take the Vendetta. Youre at least got a ~50/50 chance of hitting with each twin lascannon even with -1BS

That is not a big deal.  Yes the Vendetta is less accurate while delivering its payload, but you can start them on the table now rather than waiting for reserves, so in the net analysis that's one extra round of shooting at reduced capability.  When the troops have disembarked, if you need the extra accuracy, just go into hover mode and proceed to blast away.  You can also add an Officer of the Fleet for re-rolling 1s.

Yes, they are expensive, but still worth it in my opinion.

Vendettas look great, just use hover if you are concerned about ballistic skill.

Start game -> enjoy free first turn of -1 to hit from enemies.

Start of your turn-> go into hover, fire at 4+ BS.

Need to drop melta/support off anywhere from 0-74 inches away (movement + advance + disembark) ?  Go supersonic for the turn.  

Not to mention it's -tough-.  It takes a Hydra 7 rounds to kill it on average.

Also, keep in mind even in hover it keeps the fly rule, so it can move 20'', shoot a tank and charge an enemy shooting unit to avoid getting shot itself and tie up the enemy, then fall back on your turn another 20'' and keep shooting.

That is a lot of versatility.  For comparable price to a Russ it is no contest really.

I have one, the cost is killing me though, being almost as high as a land raider. I just don't see the value of it yet. Ill still keep one for larger scale games but its staying on the tarmac for now. Lightnings and Avengers seem better buys to me for the gunship role. I think if they would have kept the higher price but gave them a Strafing run-like rule instead of the added transport ability it would have worked out better.

Well with a capacity of 12 again that's a Squad of Vets, Platoon Commander and an Officer of the Fleet to pop out. The Commander buffs the Vets (no the best use of either the Vets or the Vendetta but you get the general idea!) and the OOF buffs the Vendetta. I think that will work nicely.

It is expensive of course.

Financially this is a disaster for me. I have a Vendetta so will get the Index. Once I get the index a Vulture with punisher cannons is inevitable. Then there's the Malacdor Infernus, the Crassus Assault transport... Good bye Kidney :(