Thoughts on potential Legacy Marine Issues

Radu

Hello Brothers and Sisters!

i have been playing this wonderful game since second edition, and I have played nothing but our glorious wolves. As such, I have amassed a force of approximately 40,000 (very apropos) points of what is now going to be called legacy marines in the very near future. While I have nothing against the new Primaris marines, my concern is that in the not so distant future, GW will be phasing out the legacy marines and vehicles, and will make my 20+ years of collecting, painting and playing with all of my models obsolete and I will have to start my collection over. Does anyone know, or has anyone heard what the ultimate goal is for these Primaris marines? Again, I have no problem keeping them as a separate force or unit, I just hope that GW doesn't come back and shoot themselves in the foot with the army that outsells all others combined. Thanks for any thoughts you might have. Cheers!

I am not  much of a fan on the primmies I do find it a problem that they did what they did . They could have did this in 2013 when the latest Marine Tac squad was brought out . I 'am working on a 100 Chapters project. And the new stuff does not fit into it. 

I think they will be a separate force for awhile which I hope . The Armor design just looks off to me . 

I have no more of a problem with Primaris than I did when Thunderwolves or New Wulfen came out. I never felt like the other new units threatened the survival of my power armor units, and I honestly feel the same way about the Primaris. I don't see how they can phase out the Legacy Marines without alienating too many customers. I'll probably add some Primaris to my army when they finally make some SW specific Primaris Marines.

Hello Brothers and Sisters!

i have been playing this wonderful game since second edition, and I have played nothing but our glorious wolves. As such, I have amassed a force of approximately 40,000 (very apropos) points of what is now going to be called legacy marines in the very near future. While I have nothing against the new Primaris marines, my concern is that in the not so distant future, GW will be phasing out the legacy marines and vehicles, and will make my 20+ years of collecting, painting and playing with all of my models obsolete and I will have to start my collection over. Does anyone know, or has anyone heard what the ultimate goal is for these Primaris marines? Again, I have no problem keeping them as a separate force or unit, I just hope that GW doesn't come back and shoot themselves in the foot with the army that outsells all others combined. Thanks for any thoughts you might have. Cheers!

I'm sorry but for me.. it's unfounded fear and I really will not accept "well we have 20+ years of GW shafting us we've had to deal with" as reasonable thought. 

Seeing as Primaris marines will not fit in Rhinos, Drop Pods, and LRs is even more proof IMO that Primaris Marines are not going to completely eliminate "Legacy Marines" from the game. It would cost GW a lot more money in the end to redo their whole line and that's not their aim. 

I believe that during a seminar at Warhammer Fest the question of whether or not the 'Legacy Marines' would be getting any future releases came up. The Answer as I remember it (I wasn't there but read it online) was that for now the focus was on the Primaris Marines but that they would at some point in the future be getting their own releases. 

Thanks for the replies. I am just trying to gauge how it's going to pan out in the future. I hadn't heard much somthe fact that they are going to have new releases in legacy sized marines makes sense that they'll be staying around. Cheers!

To me Primaris are a way for GW to have their cake and eat it too. Now they will have two lines of their best selling range available - double the profits ;-). Legacy marines are going nowhere in the short to mid term. After that sales will be the arbiter of who survives if one needs to go.

I wouldn't worry - the more of the Primaris Marines they show, the less worried I get that normal Space Marines will be phased out.  There is nothing in the range that is a direct analogue to normal Astartes.

Even if they do (eventually) make that final push for replacement, I'd just carry on using my Space Marines as Primaris.  They'd be a little smaller, but I don't object when people bring Rogue Trader marines to the table, either. :)

I have no more of a problem with Primaris than I did when Thunderwolves or New Wulfen came out. I never felt like the other new units threatened the survival of my power armor units, and I honestly feel the same way about the Primaris. I don't see how they can phase out the Legacy Marines without alienating too many customers. I'll probably add some Primaris to my army when they finally make some SW specific Primaris Marines.

I tend to agree with you, but my inner paranoiac won't shut up.  I hope you're right.  The elimination of Old!Astartes from the fluff would be a real blow to me emotionally.

Archived