I'm Torn On Primaris Chapters

I'm considering Marines Errant or Astral Knights. The Marines Errant make sense to have Primaris reinforcements, their repository of gene seed was stolen by Huron Blackheart and since they are fleet based they would suit the Primaris and the Indomintus Crusade well. They have a cool colour scheme that can look really good and I think would look good on the new marines, but white has always been a problem for me and if not done well the scheme can look very bad. 

The Astral Knights were all but wiped out when they destroyed the Necron World Engine, a new chapter was created to take over from them, The Sable Swords but there were still some Astral Knights on their home world but they went on a crusade, we don't know what happened to them after they set off.

I have this little head canon going on where since the Ultramarines witnessed the sacrifice of the Astral Knights, their name sprang up during dolling out of the Primaris marines. Then a unit was sent to track down the remaining Astral Knights, Saving Private Ryan style and they find them battling chaos on one of the many worlds plunged into chaos with the new rift. The dreadnought chapter master was still kicking about but due to having little resources to call upon he was not performing optimally and so he gets upgraded to the new redemptor dreadnought chasis, he a long with the other survivors take over the command of the new Primaris marines. The scheme is really simple to do, perhaps to simple and I'm not sure if it'll really bring out the new models.

Anyway what do you think?

Edited by WoT

It seems to me, you've already made up your mind :thumbsup:

Do those Astral Knights justice.

Yeah I'm not sure, I like the fluff I had for the Astral Knights but in the end it's just headcanon and not official canon, the Marines Errant on the other hand would make a lot more sense and also their participation in the upcoming campaign would to.

Edited by WoT

I don't think I'm going to do the Astral Knights, I'm going to wait and see what other fluff comes out and if any of the new or existing chapters spark an Interest. I've been reading the World Engine story and I must say the dialogue from the Astral Knights has really put me off them, they sound to high and mighty and keep making epic speeches every ten seconds or referring to the codex, it's put me off them a little.

Edited by WoT

Just started doing some test models, the Mantis Warriors look promising, but I just based coated a model with leadbelcher spray and put a black wash over it and the Astral Knights are almost done and I was originally doing the model for Marines Errant. The Astral Knights look like such a simple chapter to paint.

I'm now considering the Star Phantoms as well as the Mantis Warriors. I think the models may suit the Star Phantoms more but I'm wondering which would look the best on the table top, also painting white may be a bit more difficult than the Mantis Warriors scheme.

Edited by WoT

• 2 weeks later...

Star Phantoms are by far one of the slickest looking chapters in the entire game. Only issue is doing all that white.

I think Astral Knights or a similar metallic chapter (Astral Claws, Minotaurs, Iron Warriors legion, Silver Skulls, etc) is the best looking for the effort required if reducing painting difficulty is a key consideration for you. Just find a way to get the metallic on smoothly (spray, airbrush, quick and fast thinned paintbrush, etc) then do a wash. It's like painting Necrons.

What do you think about the Mortifactors or Doom Legion? I'm still heavily leaning towards Mantis Warriors, but there's a part of me thinking an ultramarine successor would be cool due to the upcoming campaign.

Edited by Emperor's Furor

Dude, do not paint Mortifactors. They are spineless slime who left the Lamenters to defend the planet Corillia alone against a Black Crusade!

But forget the Lamenters a moment. The Mortifactors abandoned millions of humans to slavery and fates worse than death. That chapter is craven and not worthy to be counted amongst Guilliman's fine progeny. Don't do this! Mantis Warriors are a far superior choice from a fluff perspective.

Have you considered a DIY Primaris Chapter?

I have yes (I considered my new name as a possibility for a chapter name) but I like all the fluff behind an existing chapter and the idea my army is representing an existing chapter in battle, I think it dates back to when I first started and the Armageddon campaign was happening and there were so many chapters involved.

Dude, do not paint Mortifactors. They are spineless slime who left the Lamenters to defend the planet Corillia alone against a Black Crusade!

But forget the Lamenters a moment. The Mortifactors abandoned millions of humans to slavery and fates worse than death. That chapter is craven and not worthy to be counted amongst Guilliman's fine progeny. Don't do this! Mantis Warriors are a far superior choice from a fluff perspective.

lol ok, I did a small test model for them and didn't enjoy painting them as much so I think I've discounted them anyway.

What about Celestial Lions? They have a sharp color scheme, and were decimated on Armageddon, only saved from extinction because of Grimaldus and the Black Templars. I think they had fewer than 50 warriors left when Helbrecht gave them a Cruiser and sent them to rebuild. They are also probably still not in good graces with the Inquisition who tried to kill them off. Some cool story elements to be had there.

Plus, they are Sons of Dorn ;) But I'm not biased or anything. :lol

What about Celestial Lions? They have a sharp color scheme, and were decimated on Armageddon, only saved from extinction because of Grimaldus and the Black Templars. I think they had fewer than 50 warriors left when Helbrecht gave them a Cruiser and sent them to rebuild. They are also probably still not in good graces with the Inquisition who tried to kill them off. Some cool story elements to be had there.

Plus, they are Sons of Dorn ;) But I'm not biased or anything. :lol:

I am really thinking of doing either these guys or silver skulls, I like painting metallic and am not a great painter haha. I've used retributor gold spray before with good results but damn it's expensive

So I've narrowed down my choice to Mantis Warriors or Nemesis Chapter. The new Primaris models suit the Nemesis so well imo, especially the Reivers with the skull masks and being an ultramarine successor the other models like the captain and such would work to. The Mantis Warriors look cool but I don't think the new models have the right theme for them, I like their scheme slightly more but the models don't seem to suit them very well atm.