Newb question about psykers in 8th.

So who's piloting the Crusader ships through the warp then?

WE SAIL BY THE EMPEROR'S LIGHT.

IT IS ALL THAT WE HAVE EVER NEEDED.

... Signs of witchcraft, or acknowledgement of the need for something that can actually see the light?

WE SAIL BY THE EMPEROR'S LIGHT.IT IS ALL THAT WE HAVE EVER NEEDED.

... Signs of witchcraft, or acknowledgement of the need for something that can actually see the light?

Well some people claim we have blind zealotry....

I feel like Khorne's hatred of witchery is second fiddle to a Templar's. Any Templar's.

Grimaldus: "You call yourself a 'blood god'? You are but a spirit of self-delusion, and all the blood your pathetic followers spill in your name, are but a petty drizzle compared to the oceans the Emperor's followers spill in His name! You call that a 'skull throne'? It is but a pile of refuse, its construction material forming a mere molehill, compared to the mountains of dead psykers sacrificed each and every hour to feed the Emperor on His Golden Throne!"

Helbrecht: "Begone, pitiful spirit! Your presence only devalues the blood spilled on this battlefield! Your 'rage' is but a petulant child's cries, compared to the righteous fury the Emperor's servants feel towards those who defy His will!"

So my two cents here....

The Templars, for all their zeal, also have a powerful devotion to doing their duty. I can't see the following scene ever happen:

*The Eternal Crusader receives a distress signal from an Imperial planet under attack, and emerges from the warp above it.

Helbrecht: "All Templars to the Drop Pods! Show these scum no mercy! Bring the wrath of the Emper..."

Grimaldus: "My Lord, you must see this at once."

Helbrecht (irritated at being interupted) : "Yes, Reclusiarch?"

Grimaldus: "Our scans shows that of the Hundreds of millions Imperial defenders, some are Psykers!"

Helbrecht (Says nothing, but eyes bulge)

Grimaldus: "And worse, they've been integrated into the guardsmen regiments!"

Helbrecht: "Gross. Well in that case, exterminatus, and let's get out of here."

The idea that the Templars wouldn't fight alongside any force using psykers, even when the Imperium as a whole uses plenty, is a little bizarre to me. I think they should totally be given a rule that if any psyker suffers a perils of the warp, they execute them on the spot, before the perils resolve. And no one should be casting psychic blessings on them.That said, at the end of the day, they fight to defend the Imperium, and that Imperium uses psykers. Said psykers may all "Disappear" after the battle, but during it, I can't see.

By the by, I'll be expecting my award for worst fan-fic ever written in the mail. 

In my headcanon Templars don't fight alongside witches. Once they realize, what their "allies" are, they would stand clear of the forces making use of the mutants, leaving them to fend for themselves. Should they dare to use powers on the Templars themselves or peril anywhere near them, my crusade would cut them down where they stand. Not blindly or without warning, but they would if their hand is forced.

The edict of Nikaea is clear to me: psykers are a necessity for communications and warp travel, but sorcery is among the worst kinds of heresy.

So you would declare the Emperor's Champion a witch?

Does that imply that astropaths and navigators are not? EC is pretty witchy though... potential latent psykers who's powers are supressed by the defect in our geneseed, but taps into a portion of them after a period of intense prayer and meditation? Maybe? ;)

Does that imply that astropaths and navigators are not? EC is pretty witchy though... potential latent psykers who's powers are supressed by the defect in our geneseed, but taps into a portion of them after a period of intense prayer and meditation? Maybe? msn-wink.gif

http://i3.kym-cdn.com/photos/images/original/000/706/295/928.jpg

@HenricusTyranicus: while that scenario is probably not going to happen, the 4th ed codex did say that Templars have exterminatus entire planets because of the possibility of the taint of heresy lol

Drug induced trip or not, it's been my thought that the Emperor's Champion is a condiut for the will and might of the Emperor in the same manner as the Sisters (said power travelling using the warp as a conduit, but not as a source of power). And using drugged smoke is no less crazy than using cards may of psychicly responsive crystal to devine the future. It's merely a tool to aid the connection.

Templar fluff has been thru some serious mood swings thru the editions...

The armageddon codex said black templars could never fight with any psykers on their side (even tho there weren't any ally rules that I could find)

4th edition codex explicitly forbid all psyker allies except the grey knights. This RAW ca used many big game organizers grief as BT players would inform them they couldn't be allied with psykers in the big 10 vs 10 matches... and likewise some opponantes could legit complain that RAW either the templars or the psykers had to go from the other team...

Now its just we don't have any librarians... so RAW anything else goes now...

All the zeal espressed here is heart warming, and who doesn't like a nice Bonne fire anyways?

Exactly! Witches!

In the 3 way fight yesterday the necron player asked me if i had psykers.

The store went silent.

YOU DO NOT ASK A TEMPLAR ABOUT PSYKERS...

Forgive him, he's a heretical xenos robot skeleton zombie and apparently had a buffer overflow error that made him forget that Templars BURN witches, not BRING witches.

The store went silent.

Someone once asked a crimson fist player we had if his marines were ultramarines. Not quite the same as asking a Templar about psykers but it's a close second.

The store went silent.

Someone once asked a crimson fist player we had if his marines were ultramarines. Not quite the same as asking a Templar about psykers but it's a close second.

The fists are red from beating to death everyone who asks that question.

WE SAIL BY THE EMPEROR'S LIGHT.

IT IS ALL THAT WE HAVE EVER NEEDED.

This actually rolled around in my brain since this post and made me wonder how Templars in the Dark Imperium would act. Basically, after tha galaxy is torn in half and the light of the Astronomicon fades from sight I imagine that the weaker willed astropaths out there would go insane, assuming they just don't outright kill themselves in response.

Which of course left me thinking of a Black Templar crusade, now without an astropath, deciding to take up the Crusade by believing that the Emperor will guide them anyways, and punching in and out of the warp basically at random as they sow up where they are indeed needed.

Fulkes, I'm stealing this fluff for my crusade. That's amazing.

Steal away. I'm planning on using it myself. Fits the lore well enough and is canon at least until they give us a way the Dark Imperium will find their way about.

Personally blindly warp jumping on faith to continue the Crusade no matter what sounds very "Templar" to me.

Problem with jumping blind from warp gate to warp gate is the time issues with going through the warp... essentially speaking, time flows differently once you enter the warp and the Emperor's light usually lets ships out at a time width that is close enough to your current time...

entire planets swallowed by Warp storms or Space Hulks that jump from the warp sometimes emerges from a decade to millennia after going in, and sometimes when a ship enters it can exit out of the warp in mere seconds, but those on the ship have been trapped in the warp for thousands of years... the light of the Astronomicon is the only thing that usually lets Imperial ships avoid this as this can have disastrous effect not just on the ship, but for the Imperium itself...

Losing the light on the other side of the great rift would be a devastating blow to any Imperial ships, but in my head canon, my Templar Battle Barge used warp travel similar to standard Imperial ships pre-great rift, and post great rift, was being towed by an Ark Mechanicus that uses Grav-transit travel that even the Mechanicus could not fully comprehend... it's basically using Gravity to bend space and travel from one point of space to the other, and is completely independent of Warp travel... the issue with it though is that it has a limited range and can't jump across warp storms as it distorts the map involved, with the eruption of multiple warp storms, there is only a limited range of places where it can jump to, and not to mention that it has to haul a Battle Barge... also, the Ark needs a full Terran day to recharge the Grav engine and any damage to it would be irreparable as the only thing that knows how to repair it is the Machine Spirit of the Ark itself... and she is a really secretive spirit...

edit: it let me kill the Navigator on the ship though as he was practically useless... he turned into a Daemon first, when the light was lost and he was forced to sought it, he saw the light of Tzeentch instead...

Problem with jumping blind from warp gate to warp gate is the time issues with going through the warp... essentially speaking, time flows differently once you enter the warp and the Emperor's light usually lets ships out at a time width that is close enough to your current time...

entire planets swallowed by Warp storms or Space Hulks that jump from the warp sometimes emerges from a decade to millennia after going in, and sometimes when a ship enters it can exit out of the warp in mere seconds, but those on the ship have been trapped in the warp for thousands of years... the light of the Astronomicon is the only thing that usually lets Imperial ships avoid this as this can have disastrous effect not just on the ship, but for the Imperium itself...

Losing the light on the other side of the great rift would be a devastating blow to any Imperial ships, but in my head canon, my Templar Battle Barge used warp travel similar to standard Imperial ships pre-great rift, and post great rift, was being towed by an Ark Mechanicus that uses Grav-transit travel that even the Mechanicus could not fully comprehend... it's basically using Gravity to bend space and travel from one point of space to the other, and is completely independent of Warp travel... the issue with it though is that it has a limited range and can't jump across warp storms as it distorts the map involved, with the eruption of multiple warp storms, there is only a limited range of places where it can jump to, and not to mention that it has to haul a Battle Barge... also, the Ark needs a full Terran day to recharge the Grav engine and any damage to it would be irreparable as the only thing that knows how to repair it is the Machine Spirit of the Ark itself... and she is a really secretive spirit...

edit: it let me kill the Navigator on the ship though as he was practically useless... he turned into a Daemon first, when the light was lost and he was forced to sought it, he saw the light of Tzeentch instead...

If Tau can borrow warp drives to "skip" in and out of the Warp to make a trip, I think we can do it even better than them.

Besides, it's the Imperium, chances are you'll end up showing up in time to fight something no matter where you go.

Archived