Tactics and musings for 8th edition

Daimhin

How would you keep 1 imagifier and 1 diagolus near that many squads? You're talking at least 7 battle sister squads (so a brigade or two battalions) and even with a 6" range, trying to keep all those units within 6" of both would probably be somewhat difficult.

It would be one hell of a sight to behold, though, and only 1000 points before equipment and the rest of the required units.

From a puritan point of view, every mention of non-ministorum is grounds for immediate immolation. Personally id rather see a thread dedicated to viable allies fir sisters and the tactics they bring. Bringiing those sorts of things into this topic gets my flamer trigger finger itchin...

In other news, those make for sweet redemptionist models. Id talk more but then thars going into wishlisting for a future vodex.

On topic...how reckon blob sisters (100+) would fair this edition? Run imagifier and dialogus close behind.

If you've got the models, you should try it.

I feel like you'd want to throw quite a few Imagifiers in there, just to make them faster and then 2ish cannonesses to get reroll, but I'd reckon it's be pretty powerful, especially if you throw in some special weapons.

Edited by Beams

Commissars, at least in my experience, almost always get killed. Hence my, "without a commissar" comment.:tongue.:

???

Do they just get left standing in the open?

There shouldn't be enough snipers that would have him in LOS to put 4 wounds on him any time soon.

People in my area play plenty of Officio Assasonorum and the Space Marine players almost exclusively use Scouts with Sniper Rifles. I once faced fifty sniper rifles. It was annoying.

Return the favor with Ratlings :D Cheaper, so you can get more them in an army, and have the same level of effectiveness as Marine Scouts plus can snipe then move!!!

As for Atrus' idea, I kind of want to theorycraft that to see what a 2K force with 1000 pts (minimum) tied up into BSS, Imagifiers and Dialoguses (Dailogus? Dailogi?) looks like on paper.

Return the favor with Ratlings :biggrin.: Cheaper, so you can get more them in an army, and have the same level of effectiveness as Marine Scouts plus can snipe then move!!!

As for Atrus' idea, I kind of want to theorycraft that to see what a 2K force with 1000 pts (minimum) tied up into BSS, Imagifiers and Dialoguses (Dailogus? Dailogi?) looks like on paper.

I go the opposite, generally. While there are beefy death characters of doom, most characters are purchased for their buffs. I tend to try and field enough dakka/the right type of dakka for the situation, and remove all those units they are buffing. My characters might get it but by the time they turn their full attention to my actual army, I tend to have a significant field presence advantage. They might still have the buffs, but I have the shots, and as great as buffs can be it is rare that piles of the dead can use them. Unless they're Necron.:P Of course this is a very general overview. I do at times use my Space Marine Scouts (I own some, no Ratlings) if I need Snipers, I can borrow a Vindicaire, etc.

Incidentally, always doublecheck BattleScribe if you use it. I was going to do a comparison of Sniper Scouts and Ratlings and the most recent .bsi is only charging 12ppm for sniper Scouts instead of 15 and is only charging you 3 points for camo cloaks, not 3ppm.

Sample force off of Atrus' idea. Dropped down to 5 BSS (75 battle sisters) to try to fit in points for everything. All of the superiors have chainswords since they're free and don't cost us a weapon anymore.

• HQ
    • Canoness w/ Power axe & BP
    • Canoness w/ Eviscerator & BP
    • Celestine w/ 2 Geminae
  • Troops
    • 15 Battle Sisters w/ 3 Storm Bolters
  • Elites
    • Dialogus
    • Dialogus
    • Imagifier
    • Imagifier
    • Imagifier
  • Fast Attack
    • 5 Dominions w/ 4 Meltaguns, 1 Combi-plasma
    • 5 Dominions w/ 4 Meltaguns, 1 Combi-plasma
    • 5 Seraphim w/ 4 Inferno Pistols, Power sword
  • Heavy Support
    • 5 Retributors w/ 3 Heavy Bolters
  • Dedicated Transport
    • Sororitas Repressor
    • Sororitas Repressor

19 drops for deployment, 117 models

Edited by taikishi

19 drops for deployment, 117 models

If you double load the transports with squads you can shave this down to 17. You could also stuff one full of characters to pull it down to under a dozen. May or may not be useful trivia given that many missions have you bidding for initiative by the number of deployment choices you use.

@Steiner

Yep. One Repressor for each squad, send them off after the best targets for their melta/plasma goodness.

@Eddie Orlock

Problem is then the characters aren't on the board to buff units. Figure an Imagifier and a Canoness for the Rets, the other two Imagifiers, a Canoness and the two Dialogus for as many of the Battle Sister Squads as you can.

Still convinced other armies/units can do this so much better, but 105 Sisters (not counting the characters) on the battlefield at once would definitely raise some eyebrows.

Edited by taikishi

I don't think they're worth the points because I don't think they do enough; that was just someone else's idea turned into a spitball list.

Edit: Also, I just noticed that force is a unit short for being a Brigade -- Battle Scibe must not have unflagged it when I deleted the 6th BSS for points elsewhere.. Have to find points somewhere for another BSS or break them down into squads less than 15 to fit in the 6th.

Edited by taikishi

Problem is then the characters aren't on the board to buff units.

It's a judgement call thing, I think there are cases where arranging the first turn may trump have all the buffs queued up for turn one. Not a thing to do every time, but a concept to be aware of.

Battalion detachment:

2x Cannoness

6x 15 BSS

1x dialogus

2x imagifier

Battalion detachment:

2x Cannoness

6x 15 BSS

1x Dialogus

2x Imagifier

190 models.

Hilariously, getting 100 bolter girls from GW costs $1500+AUD

100 guardsmen costs $240AUD.

So, taking this list for a league at my club. Played Vs nids tonight. Seemed to do well vs nids. Got first turn, vanguarded  the 5 dominons and double moved Celestine. Killed a pack of gaunts, Tervigon and melee carnifex at the top of turn one. I weathered to counter charge quite well and the Trygon Prime and a bunch of gaunts popped up beind my push. killed the trygon with a unit of penitent engines, by that point the game was pretty much over and we were just playing it out.

++ Outrider Detachment +1CP (Imperium - Adeptus Ministorum) ++

+ HQ +

Celestine: Celestine, 2x Geminae Superia

+ Fast Attack +

3x Dominion Squad
          Dominion Superior: Bolt pistol, Storm bolter
          4x Dominion w/ Special Weapon: Meltagun

2x Dominion Squad

Dominion Superior: Bolt pistol, Storm bolter
          4x Dominion w/ Special Weapon: Flamer

Seraphim Squad

7x Seraphim
          Seraphim Superior: Plasma pistol, Power sword
          2x Seraphim w/ Special Weapons: 2x Inferno Pistols

+ Heavy Support +

2x Penitent Engines
          2x Penitent Engine: 2x Heavy Flamer, Penitent buzz-blades

+ Dedicated Transport +

5x Immolator: Immolation Flamer, Storm bolter

Edited by Drider

The Celestian Superior has quite the stat line this edition: 3 attacks and Ld 9? Makes me want her back as an HQ choice (as seen in the pre-Witch Hunters Chapter Approved codex that we got after the third edition main rulebook (it's the one that I forget even exists from time to time :P))

So, I've been using min sized Seraphim Squads with a plasma pistol/powersword on the Super and two dual inferno pistols. It's been super deadly, and I'd like to so full sized once I pick up more Bolter 'phims, but they've been doing great.

Also, I've been consistently pleased with my Canoness (she's done well enough to Grant her a name, Sera) with a plasma pistol and Eviscerator. She's mauled vehicles and heavy infantry alike, with the -4 AP ripping through saves and D3 damaging pilling wounds. She also can tank like noone else with the 4++ letting her get walloped by -3 AP plasma guns and shrigg them off, and 5 wounds meaning even if she doesn't she won't die right away.