Tactics and musings for 8th edition

Daimhin

Maybe, but consider that if we double-jump and advance the 'phim those hand flamers could reach out and torch an aircraft from 44" away. Now the narrative might be the Flying nuns tore off after it with the afterburners blazing, but it's not just a 'phim thing, Immolators can do such shenanigans too.

Maybe, but consider that if we double-jump and advance the 'phim those hand flamers could reach out and torch an aircraft from 44" away. Now the narrative might be the Flying nuns tore off after it with the afterburners blazing, but it's not just a 'phim thing, Immolators can do such shenanigans too.

I want to have my seraphim tear apart a flier . . . 

I'm going to go play a game against myself with my BA and my Sisters. I might have to pull out the Storm Raven :D

I got a questions about Acts of Faith that I haven't been able to find an answer to in the book. Say I have a Unit of 5 Crusaders, 2 DCA, 2 Arcos and a Priest (of which only the Priest and Crusaders actually have the AoF rule), and I want to perform an AoF on the Unit. First question: Can I? Second Question: If I can, then do just the Priest and Crusaders get the AoF effect, and everyone else doesn't?

Thanks in advance.

Priests don't have Acts of Faith. Crusaders do. Yes you can utilise the start of turn 2+ faith roll on them. That's the only way they can have use of it. The rest of the Ministorum is not faithful enough.

Edit: dca, arcos and crusaders cannot be taken in a single Unit in 8th. They are each their own separate unit choice.

Edited by Atrus

Priests don't have Acts of Faith. Crusaders do. Yes you can utilise the start of turn 2+ faith roll on them. That's the only way they can have use of it. The rest of the Ministorum is not faithful enough.

Edit: dca, arcos and crusaders cannot be taken in a single Unit in 8th. They are each their own separate unit choice.

You are quite correct about the Priest, I didn't notice that. And thanks for clarifying about the whole mixed unit thing, knowing that answers the second question by itself (the Crusader can, because they'll always be in a unit of their own).

I find it funny that Priests aren't faithful enough, it furthers 40Ks grimdark image of the greedy, evil priests who are spreading the Emperor's word more for themselves than for the Emperor himself -- and He notices.

So do commas.

Let's eat Grandma" versus "Let's eat, Grandma." See also,

Helping your Uncle Jack, off a horse. I wont write the one without the comma, as its NSFL

Played a 2000 points game recently.

List was a double outrider

Celestine

Dominions x 5 - Meltaguns x 4, combi-flamer

Immolator - Immolation Flamer, Storm-Bolter

Seraphims x 10 - Pair of Hand Flamers x 2, Plasma Pistol

Imagifier

Retributors x 10 - Heavy Bolters x 4, Stormbolter

Canoness - Eviscerator

Seraphims x 9 - Pair of Hand Flamers x 2

Imagifier

Penitent Engine x 2

Played a chaos list:

Renegade Knight - Battle canon and Gatling gun

Belakor

Skarbrand

Helldrake

Kharne

Khorne Berserkers x 5

Rhino

Khorne Berserkers x 5

Rhino

Khorne Berserkers x 5

Rhino

Tabled him on turn 4. Still had Canoness, Celestine, Retributors, Imagifiers and two immolators alive at that point.

Sisters are going to be competitive this edition and that is refreshing considering how hard it's been for us in 6th and 7th.

Vanguard move on the dominions and understanding how it works is very important.

You also need to understand the basics of a Battle Round, a Turn and the Phases and how they interact with those rules. Those are all different and defined concepts in the rules.

Some clarifications.

Vanguard happens when both players have deployed but BEFORE the turn begins. This means the phase process has not begun yet. The unit can move AS IF if were the movement phase. What else can you do in the movement phase? Advance. In other words, if you move during the vanguard, you can also advance.

This is where the fun begins. Your transport should now be fairly close to your intended target. Since the vanguard happens before any phase begin, you can now disembark with your dominions from their transport, assuming you are not moving them in your movement phase before they do so.

Basically the  mimimum threat range of your dominions by the turn 1 shooting phase:

12+1 (vanguard move+advance) + 3 (disembark) + 6+1 (move + advance) = 23 inches. 

If you don't advance to hit on 3s instead of 4 for those meltas, that's still a minimum range of 22 inches. If you roll high, you could go as far as as 30" threat range.

How the Acts of Faith is worded is also important. It happens at the Start of your turn. Not your movement phase, but your turn.

In other words, you could put some Repentias in a Rhino, Act of Faith that rhino up 12 inches and advance (since the wording on Hand of the Emperor is the same as the Vanguard move) to then disembark in your subsequent movement phase, assuming you do not move that Rhino first. That gives the repentias a 22 inche threat range before they charge.

Would anyone consider using the ‘Uriah Jacobus’ HQ?

He’s pretty expensive, but has some interesting buffs. I find myself wanting to add a Vanguard detachment with some mixed imperial units. If my intended ‘elite’ priest slot is dropped and Uriah replaces the HQ, I gain another ‘elite’ slot back for something else. Just brainstorming here.

He’s pretty expensive, but has some interesting buffs. I find myself wanting to add a Vanguard detachment with some mixed imperial units. If my intended ‘elite’ priest slot is dropped and Uriah replaces the HQ, I gain another ‘elite’ slot back for something else. Just brainstorming here.

Uriah used to be AMAZING to throw into a repressor filled with rets. a 5++ on that already hard to put down tank was great fun. Plus his shotgun was actually really good. Not too sure how he functions now though, other than his shotgun being leagues better than it was.

I can't see it with his cost outside of a non-sisters lists (priests, arcos, penitents, guard conscripts, etc). Even then IG characters would be higher on the list for HQs.

The regular priests bring the attack buffs at a third the cost allowing them to be spread around, while an Inquisitor brings the leadership bonus (or a +2 leadership and various other bonuses in the case of named characters like Greyfax).

If you reeeeeaflly want that priest, but reeeeally don't want to fill an Elites slot with one, then yes? Other than that, he's just a more durable priest with a pretty ok gun that costs a lot more, but then I haven't actually played any 8E yet. The banner of Sanctity looks pretty decent, but it's just 1 Ld . . .

Edited by Servant of Dante

If you reeeeeaflly want that priest, but reeeeally don't want to fill an Elites slot with one, then yes? Other than that, he's just a more durable priest with a pretty ok gun that costs a lot more, but then I haven't actually played any 8E yet. The banner of Sanctity looks pretty decent, but it's just 1 Ld . . .

1 Ld is a massive buff now, even though it doesn't look it on paper. Putting a Sister unit up to Leadership 9 means that 4 of them have to be killed to have a 1/6 chance of losing another, and with the ability to get 2+ Saves it is reasonably tough to kill enough Sisters to cause Morale Checks (60 BS3+ Boltgun shots kill 4.44 Sisters with 2+ Saves). Without him they would be testing after ~40 shots (2.96 casualties). He's worth his weight in gold when the opponent brings heavier weaponry to bear.

In many ways he's more useful for Sisters out of cover to minimise the increased losses the lack of additional cover save brings, but I figured demonstrating just how damn hard it is to force a Morale check with him plus cover showed the value of that +1 Ld best.

On the flip side +1LD means next to nothing for 5 girl squads. By the time they've taken enough losses to cause a battle shock test the squad has been wiped.

True, though given the controlling player pulls casualties that last model will be a Special/Combi-Weapon that might be worth keeping around, generally speaking for MSU it is not worth it. It certainly is best on larger squads (10 in Rhino, 15 on foot) to make it really frustrating for the opponent trying to chew through to the special/heavy weapons (stack with Hospitaller(s) to really wind them up by reviving dead models).

Bumping Arcos, Death Cultists and Crusaders up to Ld8 and Repentia up to Ld9 is also very important, given these tend to have poor saves but hit hard, so the additional losses from Morale are very frustrating (and the +1 Attack is extremely useful here as well).

If going for a mixed Imperial army, Guard make brilliant tarpits now and the additional Ld massively helps there too.