Stormhawk / stormtalon

kaintxu

Hi guys, I was looking at the rules for flyers for different armies and when I came through these, I actually got quite amazed.

For the first one, 2 assault cannons and 2 heavy bolters means 12 S6 and 6S5 shots, add to that the other weapon and you are firing a whole lot of shots. While damage is not high on these, the -1 rend and the amount of shots means that one of these is going to chew through i fantry and seriously damage other light/medium vehicles.

Compared to 4 shots of crimson hunters which are antitank or helldrakes (CSM only get one flyer to SM 3) and stormhawk being cheaper and almos as resilient, I think this is a bargain.

Is there something I'm missing or am I totally spot on?

I haven't seen the stat lines but saw last night that the Storm Hawk is quite a bit cheaper than the Storm Talon, which surprised me. Was it the same in 7th?

Depends how you kit them out really. Baseline:

Storm Talon is 165 points, Toughness 6, 10 wounds (including base weapons) Twin assault cannon, 2x heavy bolters

Storm Hawk is 164 points, Toughness 7, 10 wounds (including base weapons) 2x Assault cannons, 2x Heavy bolters, Icarus cannon

Difference between the 2 is that the Talon can Change between Hover and Supersonic, where as the Hawk can't change down to hover and will always have to move minimum 20inches.

Hi guys, I was looking at the rules for flyers for different armies and when I came through these, I actually got quite amazed.

For the first one, 2 assault cannons and 2 heavy bolters means 12 S6 and 6S5 shots, add to that the other weapon and you are firing a whole lot of shots. While damage is not high on these, the -1 rend and the amount of shots means that one of these is going to chew through i fantry and seriously damage other light/medium vehicles.

Compared to 4 shots of crimson hunters which are antitank or helldrakes (CSM only get one flyer to SM 3) and stormhawk being cheaper and almos as resilient, I think this is a bargain.

Is there something I'm missing or am I totally spot on?

No, spot on - they have a lot of firepower with that set-up, but do lack stopping power when it comes to vehicles/monsters. Against a T6 3+ flyer (Stormtalon, Hive Tyrant etc.) the Assault Cannon will be wounding on 4s and the Heavy Bolter on 5s and the opponent will be saving on 4s.

Both vehicles suffer the -1 To Hit penalty for moving and shooting Heavy Weapons, though both have Interceptor - but note that the two rules are different despite the same name. The Stormtalon gets +1 To Hit targets that cannot fly, whilst the Stormhawk gets +1 To Hit targets that can fly.

Personally, I favour the Las-Talon and Typhoon Missile Launcher on the Stormhawk Interceptor, relying on its anti-flyer Interceptor to keep it hitting on 3s and still able to target ground units on 4s, with incredibly flexible weaponry for both anti-vehicle and anti-infantry work. (Edit: this is expensive though, at 217 points, suddenly that Stormtalon looks like a steal!)

How valuable Hover is on the Stormtalon is something that only game experience will reveal, so I am not writing it off just yet. 

Archived