Primaris Red Scorpions - Captain complete

Thank you so very much guys, I'm hoping I can get painting this weekend and I think that thanks to dark imperium I can get built and painted a 2,000 points army for under £400 I'm planning two repulsors, Leviathan Culln, a unit of aggressors and threw more inceptors with the other weapon option on top of what I already have which should be around 350.

Can't wait for the Codex to know how to organise the army.

Right now I'm thinking:

2x 5 tacticals with one liutenant in one repulsor each

Hellblasters foots logging and gunning

Inceptors deep striking from orbit

Culln leading the charge

Only thing I have no idea what to do about is the aggressors with the Gravis captain and the librarian and standard bearer. I don't like repetition so I hope there's another delivery option than yet another repulsor. Hope gravis can deep strike :)

Personally, I think the grey is very close to the book

I think it is slightly darker than your Wolves & I think by using different glazes and washes you could make the Scorpions quite different to the Wolves, even though both are grey.

So instead of druchii and blue (for the Wolves) go for agrax or sepia and black washes. You could also go with gold for the scorpions bling rather than brass on the wolves, which will help them further stand out (like you did on the Emperors Children for example)

PS what colours do you use for armour chipping on grey? I struggle and my Wolves end up looking really messy.

The grey is a little too light in my opinion. My Red Scorpions project is on the shelf for the time being whilst I focus on the new Death Guard, but I did do a lot of testing with regards to the base colour grey beforehand and eventually found that Vallejo Model Colour (colour!) Dark Bluegrey - 70.867 - was perfect. To my eye it was an almost exact match to the artwork from the IA books.

Unfortunately I'm away from my hobby room at the moment so can't share a photo.

Thanks guys! I tried glazing it dark but just outright ended repainting dark since it was too close to the wolves. Also great idea in the dark wash, gonna use Nuln oil and post later.

About the chipping I use Corax Black for wolves and I'm planning on rhinos hide for the scorpions since otherwise it won't stand out.

Key I found for me is use extra thin paint and be very very light with the sponging. If you don't dilute the paint you need to push the sponge against the model for paint to transfer and then you don't have control. Also with airbrush like paint consistency if you mess up with a swipe of your finger you can correct the mistake :)

Yes! After pain and fear of repainting I found the scheme I'm happy with. Distinct enough from the wolves and closer to real military colors:

NgY5AHJ.jpg

Thanks for the kind comments and your idea on the base color Ophamion!

The color scheme is:

- Prime Chaos Black

- Base Corax Black

- Counter zenital shadow of Corax black and Abaddon black 1:1

- Zenital highlight of Eschin grey

- Spot highlight with Mechanicus standard grey

- Edge highlight with Dawnstone

- Super edge highlight with Administratum grey

- Chip with airbrush consistency Rhinox hide

- Repeat edge highlight in lower parts of the chipping for trompe l'oeil effect

Thanks guys!

Now that I LIKE!! Can't wait to see the finished mini with contrasting colours, such as the golden yellow for the trim and Aquila etc. Have you thought about the colours you'll be using for that?

Thanks mate, and yes, I've decided to keep the yellow nuanced to tie it in with the more "serious" color schemes. I'll start with Deathclaw brown to primer the area, then Tau Like Ochre as a mid/general tone and highlight with Averland Sunset.

I'm gunning for something like this:

http://flash.sonypictures.com/shared/homevideo/starshiptroopersinvasion/tumblr/img/073112/1.jpg

Nice to see someone is starting Red Scorpiojns. I too ordered colors and transfers for a full Red Scorpions primaris army. I think the color scheme is amazing. 

My only concern was the future support from ForgeWord in terms of bits and rules. They already discontinued the etched brass and the Rino/Predator doors, I hope they come out with an imperial armour book with some chapter rules and maybe the famous Leviathan Dread.

• 2 weeks later...

Finally got around to finish my test mini. Needed to change the head since Eidolon´s one really did look too small once painted. So I´ve decided to do a modern primaris reimagination of Lord Commander Culln and say... he´s his brother! Malcam Culln, decided to primarise himself to avenge the death of his brother.

When finished I realised it´s not a great example of the scheme since Culln has more gold than yellow so I´ll still need to paint a regular infantry model to decide if I´m keeping up the Red Scorpions project or change to another chapter :sleep:

http://i.imgur.com/4x2HW5k.jpg

http://i.imgur.com/Cp20CDL.jpg

http://i.imgur.com/0A0wS7Z.jpg

http://i.imgur.com/2Ir0J6q.jpg

Archived