Aversion

SnakeChisler

Aversion - "select an enemy unit within 24" UNTIL the next Psychic phase your opponent must subtract 1 from all hit rolls made from this unit".

So I played this on Sunday as TO Hit

But

That's not what it says on the tin, someone pointed out its actually subtract one from hit rolls and taken literally 6 becomes 5, 5 becomes 4 etc..

Now I had to do a double take at the wording coz is that the intention so why is this significant Tesla / Bladestorm.

By the way the way the reading above isn't any more OP than Librarius and giving +1 S / T & A

Thoughts?

Well, that's how modifiers work in AoS too, and the core game system is the same as 8E40k's - usually, the dice roll result itself is modified, rather than the total score.

Note that it works the other way around too; so anything that gives a unit an additional 1 to their hit rolls means that any special rules triggering off a "6 to hit" will be doing so whenever that unit rolls a 5 or 6, as the 5 gets modified into a 6.

Wouldn't it only work on 5s, since 6s would be modified up to a roll of 7? Unless there's a rule that specifies dice cannot be modified above 6 or below 0?

I can't find it specifically but I'm pretty sure I remember a similar question being asked on the Facebook page and GW responded that you take the result and apply the power before the dice are modified.

For the rules-enthusiastic, they'd better make sure that gets put into a FAQ unless the rules specifically state that all abilities are triggered before modifiers are applied.

But wouldn't that i fact make an enemy unit better? I don't think you'd intend that to happen. I read that going the opposite way, making it harder for an enemy to hit. Instead of hitting on a 3, it drops to a 4. It's the old warhammer way of thinking that I never got. The lower the number the better it generally was, ie armour saves and a better ws/bs would hit on a lower number cuz of rules

You take a pip off what the enemy rolled on the die, not what they need to hit. For wxample, they remain BS 4+ to hit, but if they roll a 4, they missed, because the modifier means they actually rolled a 3.

Does that also work they other way, for example if you move with a plasma cannon (heavy weapon) for example and decided to supercharge it then you explode on a 1 or a 2?

Yup! Also I believe you cannot modify a roll below a 1 just in case anyone claims that a roll of 1 with a -1 modifier would count as a 0 and wouldn't cause an overcharge ;). Actually trying to find that spelled out in the document I have and can't find it specified, maybe I'm missing it but I could be wrong

Sounds like a rules lawyer that follows the letter of the rule instead of the spirit of the rule and thus a rule was made to nullify the lawyer. Wow! That sounds more confusing than it sounded in my head.

Agreed, but unfortunately we know they exist (some can be found and make their arguments right here at the B&C). That's why it would be nice if GW just put a one line statement in the rules that said "No die roll may be modified above a 6 or below a 1, and all abilities based on die roll trigger (before/after) all modifiers are applied." (Before/after per what they wanted it to be) That way there is no confusion/argument to be had.

My only 8th Edition games so far are against my friend playing Necrons.  As we've been stumbling through the rules we've come across this with the interaction between Dark Shrouds, Aversion, and Tesla weapons.  The Tesla weapons say that on a Hit roll of 6+ they get an extra two hits.  So the rules are taking into account modifiers like My Will Be Done (which is ugly on Tesla weapons).  However the opposite is true as well and the Dark Shroud and Aversion basically cancel out the Tesla rule unless he uses My Will Be Done to cancel out the effect.

I can't recall seeing any wound modifiers yet that would effect snipers and any other effects of 6 to wound.  I imagine that GW will shy away from wound modifiers as that seems like it would be overly powerful and doesn't fit in with their concept of "everything can wound everything".

Archived