Blackshields: The False War Info+Cover

There's a fairly lengthy extract of this playable on the BL website. Looks like it's going to cover the Xana Incursion. Uncavar Noon, the Davinite priest, sounds like a proper geezer.

Indeed. Through in comparison to Forge World book it has different view on events and how blockade/negotiations went. So I think - maybe it is a little bit reworked events for the Main Xana incursion shown in the FW book #6.

Also - did you catched up the moment he described 'Glorianna class battleship flying the colour of Terra. Their target Xana production facilities' fighting with the orbital batteries?

Quite forgot - do Imperial side had a Gloriana class ship where? Is the excerpt take place after the attack has started? Or is it as I mentioned a precursor event -cause it kind of differs with the synopsis?

Uncavar Noon is such a cheerful fella :yes:

wasn't there at least one Gloriana class in Battlefleet Solar? maybe it came from there

Edited by Wicced

from Warhammer 40k wiki:

Amphion - One of the lynchpins of Battlefleet Solar tasked with the protection of the Imperium’s heartlands, the Amphion was despatched at the head of a powerful fleet to lead a diversionary attack on the Renegade Forge World of Xana II in what was to be known as the Xana Incursion.

this sounds like the one, if it didn't already get retconned :wink:

Edited by Wicced

from Warhammer 40k wiki:

Amphion - One of the lynchpins of Battlefleet Solar tasked with the protection of the Imperium’s heartlands, the Amphion was despatched at the head of a powerful fleet to lead a diversionary attack on the Renegade Forge World of Xana II in what was to be known as the Xana Incursion.

this sounds like the one, if it didn't already get retconned :wink:

true - found my 'Retribution' book. It was indeed Amphion. Which again now open the question hoe 'Gloriana' class ships from 20 flagships became a common class spotted everywhere now, lol

I understand that some people were really attached to the idea of the Gloriana class being this unique class of ships just for the Legions, and dislike seeing that "rule" violated. I'm personally very ok with more, though. It reconciles some funky fluff stuff, and allows more freedom to the fans who are writing their own stories.

I think it's still safe to say that the 20 Legion flagship Gloriana are the finest examples of their class, and it seems like each one was so extensively modified it could almost be it's own one-off class of ship.

Isn't it also true that Great Crusade-era ship patterns were generally a basic chassis upon which specific ships could vary? Like how the same car might have a 4-cylinder, V6, or V8 engine, different optional extras, a different body on the chassis (i.e. hatchback, sedan, wagon), et cetera?

It is stated in Tempest that the Word Bearers had 9 Gloriana class battleships.

right.... Why they did not attack and destroyed Terra then - all by themselves, lol

I understand that some people were really attached to the idea of the Gloriana class being this unique class of ships just for the Legions, and dislike seeing that "rule" violated. I'm personally very ok with more, though. It reconciles some funky fluff stuff, and allows more freedom to the fans who are writing their own stories.

I think it's still safe to say that the 20 Legion flagship Gloriana are the finest examples of their class, and it seems like each one was so extensively modified it could almost be it's own one-off class of ship.

I love void/sea warfare  - my range of book consists of several encyclopedia on ship types. So imagine how that apperance of big ships from the thin air burn my temper :yes:

It's like the poor GS lore. Hundreds of thousands CSM appeared from the thin air. Red Corsairs in dozens of thousands - right....:teehee:

right.... Why they did not attack and destroyed Terra then - all by themselves, lol

I hope you are being facetious right now but have you considered the option that even 9 Gloriana Ships would not be enough? The Solar system is the most heavily fortified System in the setting, Terra is as safe as it gets until the break-out of the siege. Terra was under Siege by the brunt of the Traitor Legions, supported by Titans and mortals alike, and it was not enough to break the planet. Hell, the palace is probably even shielded enough to weather orbital bombardment enacted by Gloriana Ships. It was protected by parts of the Solar fleet, the Imperial Fist vessels (Until the arrival of Blood Angels and White Scars), there were safety measures put in place to try and prevent vessels from even reaching Terra.

They did not try and attack Terra by themselves because Lorgar, for all his msigivings, is not a dimwit and actually has at least a moderate sense of tactical understanding to know that assaulting a system fortified so heavily that his ships would be hopelessly outnumbered is perhaps not the smartest idea (Quantity has a quality all of its onw after all). Really, it is not that hard to understand the why and how, it's simple logistics. But whatever, let's fetishize Gloriana Vessels and try and point out logical flaws were none actually are, right? ;) 

I hope you are being facetious right now but have you considered the option that even 9 Gloriana Ships would not be enough? The Solar system is the most heavily fortified System in the setting, Terra is as safe as it gets until the break-out of the siege. Terra was under Siege by the brunt of the Traitor Legions, supported by Titans and mortals alike, and it was not enough to break the planet. Hell, the palace is probably even shielded enough to weather orbital bombardment enacted by Gloriana Ships. It was protected by parts of the Solar fleet, the Imperial Fist vessels (Until the arrival of Blood Angels and White Scars), there were safety measures put in place to try and prevent vessels from even reaching Terra.

They did not try and attack Terra by themselves because Lorgar, for all his msigivings, is not a dimwit and actually has at least a moderate sense of tactical understanding to know that assaulting a system fortified so heavily that his ships would be hopelessly outnumbered is perhaps not the smartest idea (Quantity has a quality all of its onw after all). Really, it is not that hard to understand the why and how, it's simple logistics. But whatever, let's fetishize Gloriana Vessels and try and point out logical flaws were none actually are, right? :wink:

9 glorianas, 3 kingships, effect of surprise. No Horus Heresy - just a straight attack on Terra under a flag of loyalty to the Emperor. :wink:

They did not try and attack Terra by themselves because Lorgar, for all his msigivings, is not a dimwit and actually has at least a moderate sense of tactical understanding to know that assaulting a system fortified so heavily that his ships would be hopelessly outnumbered is perhaps not the smartest idea (Quantity has a quality all of its onw after all). Really, it is not that hard to understand the why and how, it's simple logistics. But whatever, let's fetishize Gloriana Vessels and try and point out logical flaws were none actually are, right? :wink:

9 glorianas, 3 kingships, effect of surprise. No Horus Heresy - just a straight attack on Terra under a flag of loyalty to the Emperor. :wink:

You think that 9 Glorianas and 3 Kingships would not be questioned as to why they have suddenly turned around and set course for Terra? Really? Do you think that some general toting a tactical nuke can also just waltz into his presidents office on short notice and without questioning too?

The Observer

Nope - but we are talking about times then surprise would be achieved in total - cause WB are 'loyal' and it all should have happened before the HH even started.

Even if they would have been challenged - it would have taken time. Time to process why 'loyal' WB are here.

And if all fleet would have launched a surprise bombardment with nukes, cyclonics and virus bombs - they would have simply broken planetary crest and achieved total kill. No need to destroy the Palace. It is sufficient to break the planet it standing upon. Even if only 50% of payload would have achieved impact.

What happened after that to the WB fleet under the vengeful guns of the Terran fleets - tis irrelevant.

The Observer

Nope - but we are talking about times then surprise would be achieved in total - cause WB are 'loyal' and it all should have happened before the HH even started.

Even if they would have been challenged - it would have taken time. Time to process why 'loyal' WB are here.

And if all fleet would have launched a surprise bombardment with nukes, cyclonics and virus bombs - they would have simply broken planetary crest and achieved total kill. No need to destroy the Palace. It is sufficient to break the planet it standing upon. Even if only 50% of payload would have achieved impact.

What happened after that to the WB fleet under the vengeful guns of the Terran fleets - tis irrelevant.

You are completely missing my point :facepalm: No surprise would be achieved at all. Everybody would know the location of such an armada, every navigator around the block would see the trails those ships tear into the nether. There would be communication with official agencies in order to uphold the masquerade because falling silent would trigger suspicion again (Lorgar was not the silent conqueror beyond the scope of communicational arrays that Jaghatai was). Everyone and their mother would notice the armada advancing on Terra, you can't just swiggity-swooty your way into Terra's orbit like that. There would be no reason for such an armada to be anywhere near Terra! The authorities wouldn't be siting idly, going about their daily business. They'd be frantically trying to estabilish why the hell a primarch with such a fleet has set direct course for Terra. It would've taken the time to process why they are there yes, but until that has been done they would've been ordered to remain where they are and not advance an inch further. You can't just walk  through a border without showing your papers, waiting for the authorities to check your papers and then receiving your papers back.

Lorgar and the armada would've been gunned down if they had advanced forward without any legitimate reason, fires would have been opened and all WB would've been declared enemies of the Imperium. A surprise attack is virtually impossible. It is not that the Terran guns would turn on the fleet after they delivered the payload, the fleet would have been stopped even before passing Pluto and gunned down by the Solar Fleet, the Saturnyne Ordos, the Custodes, the Mechanicum, the Iron Ring, the Sororitas Silentium and whatever other assets are present, if they refused to yield and provide explanation. Terra would pull the trigger long before the WB could even get a proper target.

Why are you likng my post? I was refuting your argument.

If the point is solid and thoughtful, even if that is a refuting of my argument - it is a pleasure to like it.

'Also, Terra's void shields held against the entire Traitor fleet.' - not the Terra's void shields - Imperial Palace void shields.

The Observer

Solid points. I surrender to your logical and solid explanation.

• 1 month later...

Why are you likng my post? I was refuting your argument.

If the point is solid and thoughtful, even if that is a refuting of my argument - it is a pleasure to like it.

'Also, Terra's void shields held against the entire Traitor fleet.' - not the Terra's void shields - Imperial Palace void shields.

The Observer

Solid points. I surrender to your logical and solid explanation.

Didn't see this post at the time. Fair point

OK, got to listen to this tonight. Really enjoyed it! I was already a massive fan of the Xana Incursion fluff, so this was right up my alley. The False War is named for the display of the Ordinatus Ullator from that section in Retribution. It's basically 72 minutes of Black Shields arguing with each other and it's great. Lots of really interesting revelations and info about the Xana Incursion here! I'll list my favorites:

1)I've always been really curious about this, but Endryd Haar's unit entry in Retribution lists him as having a rule called "Marked by Dark Fates." It's shared by Abaddon and Khârn... HMMM. So I've wondered that Haar may have a future in the Eye of Terror, unable to reconcile with the Imperium after the Heresy. That's elaborated on a little... he's kind of an utter monster. 

2) It's super clear from this story that the Imperial historian who compiled the Xana Incursion section was writing a doctored history. Uncavar Noon did not arrive with Endryd Haar/"Korradon." They arrived separately, Haar as a Black Shield pursuing his own goals, and Korradon as an Imperial assassin. Why did the history get doctored? Because Haar has done some bad things, and even killed Loyalists on Terra to escape imprisonment. When "Noon" and Haar both realize they're not agents of the Warmaster and murder the Archmagos, "Noon" basically offers Haar a license to kill for the Imperium. So the unreliable narrator crops up yet again, as they re-wrote the history to make Haar sound like he was working with the Imperium the whole time. Yes, I did re-read the Xana Incursion section right after listening to this to catch the inconsistencies.

3) The "army of the dead" was made by Haar and was not part of Imperial plans. He was going to use it to maybe try to kill Horus or something, but finds a better use here. It implies he did some truly terrible stuff to make it. 

4) It's still not clear if the Dark Angels who show up here were cooperating with the Imperium at all. Mysterious!

5) Also from the ending it kind of seems like there will be another of these, possibly making it a short series? That would be fantastic.

edit: oh and before I forget, this has the sound of an Ordinatus Minoris engine firing. They're getting really good at the sound effects in these! Always love the spectrum of Mechanicum character robot voices and Space Marine vox grill distortion.

Edited by LetsYouDown