Darkshrouds

That's what the  "irrespective of....any modifiers" bit from the Overwatch rules specifically refers to. The Icon of Old Caliban is a modifier to hit. Overwatch ignores modifiers to hit.  You can re-roll to hit, such as many HQ auras allow for, but modifiers are never applied - only natural 6's hit for Overwatch. Basically, nothing has changed for Overwatch.

I went in to GW today and asked the staff member about the dark shroud and overwatch. The answer was unless a rule or ability specifically states it effects overwatch then it doesn't.

So dark shroud can reduce incoming fire to units in general but does not stop overwatch.

Personally I wouldn't put much weight in the authority of near minimum wage GW retail staff. As far as I know they don't really get access to much info beyond what we get access to, they certainly don't have access to the game design team or any material that would provide them with authority on the matter. Best to wait for FAQs, I'm sure they will be coming soon. Imo asking GW retail staffers to make design level calls would be like asking the receptionist at a Ford dealer to speak to the engineering decisions of the cars.

I went in to GW today and asked the staff member about the dark shroud and overwatch. The answer was unless a rule or ability specifically states it effects overwatch then it doesn't.

So dark shroud can reduce incoming fire to units in general but does not stop overwatch.

Personally I wouldn't put much weight in the authority of near minimum wage GW retail staff. As far as I know they don't really get access to much info beyond what we get access to, they certainly don't have access to the game design team or any material that would provide them with authority on the matter. Best to wait for FAQs, I'm sure they will be coming soon. Imo asking GW retail staffers to make design level calls would be like asking the receptionist at a Ford dealer to speak to the engineering decisions of the cars.

Man I thought I was on Facebook for a moment.  That is the most condescending and toxic load of BS I've read today.  Well done.

Your post is also grossly inaccurate.  All store managers were sent to a couple of days of rather in depth training on the new edition.  A trainer course as it were, where they were taught how to teach people to play this game.  As part of that there were question and answer sections with the design team covering every aspect of the game.  At this point in time they know more than you do about how the rules work for this edition.

Order of operations for rolling to hit are pretty simple to understand it's just a different way of playing the game and a lot of people don't like the way it has changed to. All modifiers apply to the results of your dice rolls

1. Roll to hit

2. Apply re-rolls

3. Apply modifiers

You would compare it to your ballistic skill at each step and at the end of the process would be the dice left for you to roll your wound dice.

So lets say a Heavy Bolter Marine moves and shoots and moving with a heavy weapon incurs a -1 to hit but he is also lucky enough to be within 6" of Azrael giving him re-rolls on all his failed to hit rolls (dice results).

He rolls a 2, 3 & 5

You would first apply re-rolls on failed to hit results. In this case you would re-roll the 2 as the other numbers have hit comparing to his ballistic skill. Lets say you re-roll it to a 4.

So now we have a 3, 4 & 5 heading into modifiers.

You would apply the -1 hit to these dice results which would end up like this:

2, 3 & 4 meaning you hit 2 out of 3 times.

This applies the same to anything needing particular dice rolls to trigger abilities. So to use Tesla as an example if the unit had a +1 modifier the tesla would trigger on your rolls of 5 and 6 (as 5s become 6s and 6s become 7s) and on a -1 to hit the Tesla would not be able to trigger at all. Notice how all of those abilities do say on a roll of X+ in this case 6+, the + meaning higher than 6.