Rules question regarding dedicated transports and detachment

micahwc

I'm not really sure where to put this so I'm putting it here.

Under the detachment charts showing force organization requirements it says:

"Dedicated Transports: May include 1 for each other choice".

The restrictions on the various detachments is that all the units are from the same faction. Currently "Imperium" is a faction that really doesn't have any negatives. Eventually stratagems will be released for smaller sub-organizations of the Imperium, but for now there isn't really any draw back.

So If I bring an "Imperium" army that consists almost entirely of Astra Militarum, technically could I also bring a dedicated transport from any other "Imperium" faction as one of my choices? I know it wouldn't be able to actually carry anything as all the transports say they can only transport certain models, but you could still bring one and just use it as a battle tank?

Example, I make a list with the faction "Imperium". I bring a "dedicated transport" Immolator from the Sisters of Battle to include with all my Astra Militarum and Tempestus Scion units. It can't actually transport any of my models, but it's still a rhino with an invulnerable save and an Immolation flamer.  

So basically, an "Imperium" faction list could take Chimeras, Rhinos, Razorbacks, or Immolators for dedicated transports, even if the list contains no models that can ride in the transport?

I've been wondering the same thing, and haven't really been able to find a real answer anywhere one way or the other. In my case, I'd like to see if I can bring Taurox Primes in an army that doesn't actually have any Tempestus, and use them just as light battle tanks like you said. In just basic RAW that looks doable, but then again there's quite a few things in the RAW so far that seem more like exploits than features.

Alternatively bring in inquisition acolytes and give them all tauroxes or chimeras which they can then drive around in eve cause reasons? They seem way better than, for instance, special weapon squads.

Archived