Question about Executioner Plasma Cannons

So in the new Index under Leman Russ Demolishers, if you roll a 1 on a supercharged plasma shot, you take 6 mortal wounds and then the tank is unable to shoot plasma weapons for the rest of the game. However, at the end of the rule it says "Executioner Plasma Cannons are unaffected by this." 

The punctuation is confusing to me. Does it mean it is unaffected by the mortal wounds and the inability to shoot? Or just the inability to shoot for the remainder of the game? It seems to me like it should be the latter, but I thought I'd post here and see if others had any idea how to interpret the rule. Thanks in advance! 

So in the new Index under Leman Russ Demolishers, if you roll a 1 on a supercharged plasma shot, you take 6 mortal wounds and then the tank is unable to shoot plasma weapons for the rest of the game. However, at the end of the rule it says "Executioner Plasma Cannons are unaffected by this." 

The punctuation is confusing to me. Does it mean it is unaffected by the mortal wounds and the inability to shoot? Or just the inability to shoot for the remainder of the game? It seems to me like it should be the latter, but I thought I'd post here and see if others had any idea how to interpret the rule. Thanks in advance! 

This is because of the wording for the weapons.

A Plasma Cannon states "On a hit roll of 1, the bearer is slain after all this weapon's shots have been resolved."

This is pretty bonkers (removing a healthy 12-wound Leman Russ due to an Overheat), so they added the Emergency Plasma Vents rule, "If this model fires a supercharged plasma cannon, and you roll one or more hit rolls of 1, it is not automatically destroyed. Instead, it suffers 6 mortal wounds and cannot fire any plasma cannons for the rest of the battle."

The Executioner Plasma Cannon states "If you make one or more hit rolls of 1, the bearer suffers D6 mortal wounds after all this weapon's shots have been resolved."

In effect, the Emergency Plasma Vents are already included within the Executioner Plasma Cannon's rules, hence the stipulation that the rule doesn't apply. As an added bonus, since the Executioner Cannon is excluded from the whole rule that prevents it from firing again, it can be fired even if it overheats unlike a regular Plasma Cannon.

I hope that helps?

++

Confusing aside: one interesting thing to note is the Executioner exclusion isn't in the Tank Commander profile, nor Pasks, therefore by RAW the Tank Commander's Executioner Cannon doesn't have that exclusion and you would have to follow the Emergency Plasma Vents rule, but then again by RAW the rule doesn't apply as it is not a Plasma Cannon as it has a different name - yay keywords!

I have to admit Plasma Cannons and Executioner Plasma Cannon rules are one of the few Ive taken a while to understand.

However I do believe I came to the same conclusion as Gothical in relation to the over heating and plasma vent rules vs the main cannon and sponsons.

Sucks that if one sponson overheats you can no longer use either of them though. Or at least that's how I understand it to be.

Sucks that if one sponson overheats you can no longer use either of them though. Or at least that's how I understand it to be.

That certainly is the case as the rules are written - it's a good thing that there's a non-overheating mode now, and it does encourage only going Supercharged at a key moment rather than trying to stack re-roll combos to use that profile as "standard".

Archived