The classicMarine dilemma

Exactly maybe forgeworld will pick up the line or something someday. But Old marines rules wise will never be phased out IMO it would be business suicide at this stage in the game. Space marines are not the Tomb Kings/Brets of Fantasy

Krash

Even if GW does phase out old marines, as long as their rules stay in every edition, they're in a good spot. This is because Primaris seem to be getting unique guns that aren't the same as regular special and heavy weaponry. This means old marines will be the only ways to get infantry models carrying missile launchers, grav-guns, etc.

And since GW said they want to keep the game balanced and updated compared to older editions, this means if for example missile launchers start to suck, they will make them better. This automatically makes Tactical Squads and Devastator Squads that carry missile launchers better. This means old marines will always be at least playable and relevant.

It might mean we never get any more new power armor units, but really, what's the last new power armor unit we even got? Command Squads, Vanguard Veterans, etc are all super old. As long as they stay updated and supported and FW keeps producing models for them, I think we have a lot of life left in old marines, so don't worry about it OP. If you like old armor or small marines, I think they're a safe investment.

Posted · Hidden by Bryan Blaire, June 15, 2017 - Ignored Brother Tyler's comments about being On Yopic
Hidden by Bryan Blaire, June 15, 2017 - Ignored Brother Tyler's comments about being On Yopic

GW is speaking out of the sides of their mouths . In 4yrs TruMarines (MK7 kits) will be history Even RG says their days are numbered.

Good, the old kits are embarrassingly ugly compared to primaris marines.

Thanks for the input. I can see a certain air of unconfidence around this topic, which why GW marketing probably dis not do its job well enough, but that is beside the point.

To answer a few questions above: My disposable income in highly limited, but I am in the process of selling unused armies, so in the long-run, this should work out. Seeing also as I have a Stormcast army in the middle of being workes on, which are essentially Primaris, which basically means that this new army will not cost me very much at all.

However, Kinstryfe asked a very valid question. Are they part of my entertainment budget or an investment? Frankly, I do not know. As Brother Tyler put is so eloquently, they are my attempt to carry on the legacy of Marines I grew up with. As someone who venerated the Land Raider, Dreadnought and Predator, I was so happy to see them functional again, only to find out about Primaris and them. ot even being able to enter a Land Raider. Chances are that this thread is little more than a kneejerk reaction. An emotional attempt to hang on to the past. That would be no state to make decisions.

I suppose the best way to approach it is to wait and see. Maybe, once Primaris get going, they will mirror that style I grew up with, even better perhaps as the units are more elite (pleasant DoW2 flashbacks).

Posted · Hidden by Race Bannon, June 15, 2017 - Ignored Tyler's post.
Hidden by Race Bannon, June 15, 2017 - Ignored Tyler's post.

The standard marine line has reached its climax. What could be done next? Terminators wearing exo suits or Dreadnoughts riding Landraiders?

The reboot with Primaris gives them the option to sell the whole line again, from HQ to heavy support.

If they are smart (well there is some doubt) then marines will last with less and lesser support over the next two or three editions.

The customers will buy the new line there is no doubt about that. And given time the old marine players will get less and less.

We got what a lot players asked for so many times, true scale marines, hover tanks and dreandnoughts that could actually walk.

Posted · Hidden by Race Bannon, June 15, 2017 - Ignored Tyler's post.

The standard marine line has reached its climax. What could be done next? Terminators wearing exo suits or Dreadnoughts riding Landraiders?

The reboot with Primaris gives them the option to sell the whole line again, from HQ to heavy support.

If they are smart (well there is some doubt) then marines will last with less and lesser support over the next two or three editions.

The customers will buy the new line there is no doubt about that. And given time the old marine players will get less and less.

We got what a lot players asked for so many times, true scale marines, hover tanks and dreandnoughts that could actually walk.

:rolleyes: :facepalm:  :no:

Posted (edited) · Hidden by Race Bannon, June 15, 2017 - Ignored Tyler's post.

The standard marine line has reached its climax. What could be done next?

I disagree, there are still a fair few old kits that could do with a modern redo. I still want new versions (cad designed in plastic of course) of -

Space Marine bikes

Terminators

Thunder fire cannon

Tech Marines and Servitors

Standard Dreadnaught

Land Raider

Edited by Robbienw
  • 2 weeks later...

When I played back in 2nd most space marine chapters were just different colored ultramarines.

Blood Angels, Dark Angels, and Space Wolves got some small flavor units, but those were not as widely spread as today. And from the looks of today's model selection GW certainly spread out space marines to be many different unique armies.

Had I been sitting behind the design table of the primaris marines it would be a step towards removing the special flavors. I would make a "Codex Primaris" and ignore the special chapters. It would be a flamestorm, but since players can still use their armies with the indexes it would be manageable. In this primaris codex there would be special units that could only be taken in battleborn primaris lists and the initial basic-primaris can still be used as allies in the old lists.

All these special rules and special characters for the chapters have gotten out of hand. And to avoid having to create model ranges for each and every chapter they need to bring them all together. This also ensures that players do not make a "generic" primaris chapter that happens to be a successor of whatever chapter has the best rules at any given time.