What bases do Space Marine scouts use?

So, just a silly question and I hope some of my fraters can help me out with it quickly and painlessly.

Do Scouts use the new 32mm bases or are they still on 25mm?

I'm not sure about any of that stuff any more.

Thanks, gents.

• 1 year later...

Hate to necro an old thread, but I kinda have the same question. Scouts come with the 25mm bases yes, but is there an actual rule saying that they must be based on them? The 32mm bases give so much more room for cool bases and in my opinion just look better.

No there is no such rule. RAW you are free to use literally any base possible for your models. However it's just fair and on tournaments often required to put them on the bases they either came with or their latest version comes with (in case you have older models).

In case of Scouts I don't think anybody would argue if you'd put them on 32mm bases. I certainly wouldn't.

No there is no such rule. RAW you are free to use literally any base possible for your models. However it's just fair and on tournaments often required to put them on the bases they either came with or their latest version comes with (in case you have older models).

In case of Scouts I don't think anybody would argue if you'd put them on 32mm bases. I certainly wouldn't.

I could see this being an issue in a competitive tournament environment, particularly for scouts given their deployment capabilities. A unit like that is used to deny deep strikers and screen. The more physical space they can take up, the more valuable they are. It's a negligible increase, to be sure - but in that type of environment, you best believe it would be challenged. 

Possible, yeah, but I haven't heard from any tournament to ban Scouts on 32mm bases so far. ^^

It's not really about banning because most tournaments do not have it specifically mentioned in their rules pack as to what bases are allowed. Some do, in that it should be the base that came with the kit, but mostly they aren't specifically saying "you can't base your scouts on 32mm". However, TOs do fall down heavily on modeling for advantage, and a competitive minded player may argue to the TO that your scouts on bigger bases are advantageous. 

But I think you're right in that this will come up very infrequently. 

I dug a little deeper actually to make sure, since all local tournaments use the ETC rules, and found out that scouts on 32mm bases are fine. Yay for me, now I don't have to re-base 15 scouts because I already put them on 32mm bases :D

I've been debating this myself recently and have opted to use 32mm. My reasoning:

1) Every other marine infantry unit I have is on 32's and it upsets my viewing pleasure to have a few small bases.

2) With Orks being moved to 32's, I'm convinced if scouts ever get redone they'll be 32's. Having rebased ten or so marines I'm not doing it again.

3) If someone complains I can always shuffle them 14mm closer to each other. Or make sure the distance between their furthest edges is no more than 4".  I will then of course account for weapon and charge ranges by a few mm, as well as claiming cover if such rare cases come up.

I put mine on 32mms. I agree that the 25mms looked too small, and I'd rather have the extra room around the base rather than having models clang into each other in combat. I do usually have some guardsmen with me though (my main army) so if anyone really has an issue I have 25mm based models I can swap out. I don't forsee it being much of an issue though, since Marines and now Orks are officially usable on both sizes.

Scouts are generally used to screen, deny deep strike and take objectives with ObSec. They are able to do those things better and control more of the board with 32mm bases. Also the models themselves aren't packaged with them. In a tournament setting I would ask them to be replaced or pulled.

That being said if its an aesthetic choice and we are playing for fun outside of a tournament I wouldn't mind.

Scouts are generally used to screen, deny deep strike and take objectives with ObSec. They are able to do those things better and control more of the board with 32mm bases. Also the models themselves aren't packaged with them. In a tournament setting I would ask them to be replaced or pulled.

That being said if its an aesthetic choice and we are playing for fun outside of a tournament I wouldn't mind.

Agreed wholeheartedly

Archived