Primaris Iron Hands

horrain

Hey All, I'm starting to convert my Dark Imperium Primaris Marines into Iron Hands, I have a large Skitarii army, so Iron Hands felt like the natural ally.

I've got some mk3 shoulder pads on order, so for now I've just dremeled back the plastic.

If anyone has any suggestions and/or ideas to improve the project I'd be super interested to hear them :biggrin.:

http://i377.photobucket.com/albums/oo213/horrain/20170618_102722_zpsivuvxsms.jpg

http://i377.photobucket.com/albums/oo213/horrain/20170618_102805_zpsoez7ww36.jpg

http://i377.photobucket.com/albums/oo213/horrain/20170618_102738_zpsqrm0nxdh.jpg

Thanks for looking.

Very excited to see this! I'd debated doing IH if got myself the box!

Good idea with the pads and bionics, just what I'd thought to do. Although I'd be lazy and use pre-existing kits for the bionics! May need to try building some!!

I'd look to use some FW heads, maybe some very machiney mechanicum heads too.

Didn't IH got over their bionics obsession in latest books, though? By the time they got primaris marines, shouldn't they be back to 'flesh is good' like Ferrus intended?

Not saying these don't look nice, was just curious if above direction was reversed back to 'all bionic all the time', say in 8th edition book?

Great work on the bionics so far :)

Didn't IH got over their bionics obsession in latest books, though? By the time they got primaris marines, shouldn't they be back to 'flesh is good' like Ferrus intended?

Not saying these don't look nice, was just curious if above direction was reversed back to 'all bionic all the time', say in 8th edition book?

Well, to be honest - if someone gets injured he probably would still get some fancy bionics :D?

Great work on the bionics so far :smile.:

Well, to be honest - if someone gets injured he probably would still get some fancy bionics :biggrin.:?

"We've ... we've got lumps of it round the back"

"Bionification? Right. Out the door, line on the left, one leg each."

Those are looking great, Like the idea that the first thing the Iron Hands did was start cutting them up to make bionic. How easy was it to cut away the shoulder pads out of interest?

There are two types of shoulder pads, ones attached to the arms, and the other attached to the body.

Removing the shoulder pad from the arms is super easy, you can just a pair of clippers, cutting around the edge of the pauldron, using the edge as a biting point, then once you've gone around the edge, the center where the chapter icon goes, it easy to clip off.

Removing the shoulder pad from the body is more difficult, as part of the collar shares the material with the should pad, so I used my dremel using an engraving bit. Not sure how easy it would be to remove with a pair of clippers, knife and a file.

TIL; I've not been reading much of the fluff, only just finished reading Legion from when Humble did the HH bundle. Upon getting home from collecting my Dark Imperium box, I pulled out the first marine sprue, unpacked the dremel and started converting.

The only fluff consideration I've made, is to base the army on the 10th company, Clan Dorrvok, with the thinking that going Primaris increases the size of the marine, if their heavily augmented the sudden growth will cause implants to be rejected. Clan Dorrvok having lots of aspirants in my mind means they will have less augmentation, so less likely to suffer complications. so when the Cigatrix Maledictum opened close to Medusa it was decided the chapter needed to swell the number of full battle brothers, so the 10th became the Primaris company.

I did some work on a Inceptor, I really dislike the bullet catching hood, sooo I replaced with it a bunch of cables.

http://i377.photobucket.com/albums/oo213/horrain/20170620_210856_zpsmsewpabe.jpg

http://i377.photobucket.com/albums/oo213/horrain/20170620_210902_zpspo7y1o84.jpg

http://i377.photobucket.com/albums/oo213/horrain/20170620_205044_zpsalz5xkl6.jpg

Wow! These look incredible! Would love to know how you did the ribbed cabling!?

Their super easy, you can buy a set of Green Stuff Roll Makers,which are essentially 2" boards with loads of rows of furrowed plastic, you then roll the greenstuff into a crude sausage shape, then use the boards to apply the texture, and you get ace looking power cables.

The store I ordered mine from also sells a rivet molding kit, so I pushed a load of Milliput in, let it cure, then emptied it, giving me hundreds of fancy looking rivets. I just use two cocktail sticks to glue them to the model. I dip one in super glue and apply to the model, and the second I wet the end, then use the surface tension to pick up the tiny rivets and put them in the glue.

Nice work, can't wait to see more!

(and weep silently as I'll never be able to pull this sort of thing off )

They look much more impressive than the skill required to pull it off. The green stuff roller does a lot of the work, the only difficult step is using the Dremel to hollow out the plastic. I'm using a "107 Engraving Cutter", I have a 105 and 106, but only use those to tidy up sharp edges, or to add some detail to the plastic rod I use in the knees, ankles and hips.

If I were buying the models as individual retails kits, ie buying 3x Inceptor's for £30, I'd be much less likely to hack them to bits. The absolute best thing about the Dark Imperium box set is the individual cost of the models, if I make a mess out of a mini, it costs £2-3 to replace via ebay, vs £10-12 retail.