Discussion: Power Armored Wolf Guard

grouj

But storm bolters are rapid fire 2, so at 12" it's 4 shots per model. Up close the storm bolter performs much better. Still not sure which is better, but against hordes it's probably the storm bolter.

Rapid fire was already calculated and it is just 2 wounds against a SM.

As for horde armies, I will attempt to do storm bolter vs combi-plasma against some infamous Ork Boyz.

5x Storm Bolters vs Ork Boyz

20x bolter shots rapid fire

12x shots hit (BS 3)

6x wound (S4 vs T4=4+ to wound)

6+ Saving throw=17% saved

5x damage dealt

TOTAL: 5x damage dealt on rapid fire vs Ork Boyz

5x Combi-Plasma vs Ork Boyz

10x bolter shots rapid fire

6x shots hit (BS 3)

3x wound (S4 vs T4=4+ to wound)

2.5x damage dealt

10x plasma shots rapid fire

6x shots hit (BS 3)

4x shots wound (S7 vs T4=3+ to wound)

No save

4x wounds

TOTAL: 6.5x damage dealt on rapid fire vs Ork Boyz

Against hordes the fight is much close with plasma just barely edging out. The downfall is the cost. A Storm Bolter (and nothing else) Wolf Guard is 18 points vs a Combi-Plasma (and nothing else) wolf guard is 31 points. So a group of 5 WG Storm Bolters is 90 points vs 155 points for WG combi-plasma. 

WG Storm Bolter

vs SM=45 points per 1 damage (rapid fire) 90 pts/2 damage

vs Boyz=18 points per 1 damage (rapid fire) 90 pts/5 damage

WG Combi-Plasma

vs SM=35 points per 1 damage (rapid fire) 155/4.4 damage

vs Boyz=23 points per 1 damage (rapid fire) 155/6.5 damage

So against SM the plasma wins 35 points-per-damage(PPD) vs storm bolters 45 PPD. Against Boyz the plasma loses 23 PPD vs 18 PPD.

To me though I would pay the extra little bit per PPD to have something that can knock down hardier target AND vehicles in a emergency. I didn't calculate overcharge vs Boyz because the risk just seems too high to deal a couple damage against a horde of Boyz.

Don't forget the bikes have a twin boltgun which is basically a storm bolter already. And you can shoot noth

Like you said bikes are basically double storm bolters on rapid fire. 

vs SM=47.5 PPD (190/4)

vs Boyz=19 PPD (190/10)

If you go combi-plasma WG bikers this is the calculations.

vs SM=35 PPD (190/5.4  3.4x plasma wounds, 2x storm bolter/bike bolter wounds)

vs Boyz=21 PPD (190/9  4x plasma wounds, 5x storm bolter/bike bolter wounds)

So it is a close call :wink: with these bikes give HUGE amount of moment and +1 toughness and an extra wound attack. This is probably the best value so far.

Edited by Caldersson

And overwatch with SBs will be decent overall, with 4 shots per model. Combi's will have 2+1 special shot per, which admittedly will make a better impact with every hit, just has fewer shots overall.

And overwatch with SBs will be decent overall, with 4 shots per model. Combi's will have 2+1 special shot per, which admittedly will make a better impact with every hit, just has fewer shots overall.

Combi plasma will have 4 shots too, bother bolter and plasma guns have rapid fire 1.

The 

But storm bolters are rapid fire 2, so at 12" it's 4 shots per model. Up close the storm bolter performs much better. Still not sure which is better, but against hordes it's probably the storm bolter.

Rapid fire was already calculated and it is just 2 wounds against a SM.

As for horde armies, I will attempt to do storm bolter vs combi-plasma against some infamous Ork Boyz.

5x Storm Bolters vs Ork Boyz

12x shots hit (BS 3)

6x wound (S4 vs T4=4+ to wound)

5x damage dealt

TOTAL: 5x damage dealt on rapid fire vs Ork Boyz

5x Combi-Plasma vs Ork Boyz

6x shots hit (BS 3)

3x wound (S4 vs T4=4+ to wound)

2.5x damage dealt

6x shots hit (BS 3)

4x shots wound (S7 vs T4=3+ to wound)

No save

4x wounds

TOTAL: 6.5x damage dealt on rapid fire vs Ork Boyz

Against hordes the fight is much close with plasma just barely edging out. The downfall is the cost. A Storm Bolter (and nothing else) Wolf Guard is 18 points vs a Combi-Plasma (and nothing else) wolf guard is 31 points. So a group of 5 WG Storm Bolters is 90 points vs 155 points for WG combi-plasma. 

WG Storm Bolter

vs SM=45 points per 1 damage (rapid fire) 90 pts/2 damage

vs Boyz=18 points per 1 damage (rapid fire) 90 pts/5 damage

WG Combi-Plasma

vs SM=35 points per 1 damage (rapid fire) 155/4.4 damage

vs Boyz=23 points per 1 damage (rapid fire) 155/6.5 damage

So against SM the plasma wins 35 points-per-damage(PPD) vs storm bolters 45 PPD. Against Boyz the plasma loses 23 PPD vs 18 PPD.

To me though I would pay the extra little bit per PPD to have something that can knock down hardier target AND vehicles in a emergency. I didn't calculate overcharge vs Boyz because the risk just seems too high to deal a couple damage against a horde of Boyz.

The math that Calderra presents does show a potential of options. I may suggest a mixed squad of WG Stormbolters with WG combi plasma probably a 2/1 or 3/1 ratio depending on squad size. It will take a bit of experimentation to get the right synced squad with stormbolter/combi plasma.

Now we have an idea about the combi option what about all the melee weapons we can have now? For the points I'm really liking the frost sword. Getting that extra str will help against all the marines out there and with the - to ap its pretty nice. I would say thunder hammers but I think I have enough of them on my two and wulfen.

The math is a bit off, no? Firing both combi parts applies a -1 penalty to shooting. Not a giant difference, but a -1 has a big impact on rerolls and plasma overheating.

Also don't forget the points per wound could be worse, but stormbolters allow you to bring more bodies the table for the same prize. Less ranged alpha, but better melee due to numbers.

On that note, stormbolter + frostsword is still cheaper and makes for a cool looking assault unit ;) Feels less bad to have them tied up than combi guys.

The math is a bit off, no? Firing both combi parts applies a -1 penalty to shooting. Not a giant difference, but a -1 has a big impact on rerolls and plasma overheating.

Also don't forget the points per wound could be worse, but stormbolters allow you to bring more bodies the table for the same prize. Less ranged alpha, but better melee due to numbers.

On that note, stormbolter + frostsword is still cheaper and makes for a cool looking assault unit ;) Feels less bad to have them tied up than combi guys.

You are correct. I will update the math when I can.

The points were points per wound so why yes you do get more bodies you are doing less damage.

I am attempting to do the math for 7 storm bolters and 3 combi meltas. This would allow mass fire AND anti armor/vehicle fire when needed. Right now bit busy so will update later.

On that note, stormbolter + frostsword is still cheaper and makes for a cool looking assault unit :wink: Feels less bad to have them tied up than combi guys.

You are correct. I will update the math when I can.

The points were points per wound so why yes you do get more bodies you are doing less damage.

I am attempting to do the math for 7 storm bolters and 3 combi meltas. This would allow mass fire AND anti armor/vehicle fire when needed. Right now bit busy so will update later.

Could you also do some math on the stormbolter/combi plasma as well? Bit curious since I own way more plasma then I should.

Did a test game yesterday with chainsword/stormboltet/storm shield jump guard. They came down, they melted an annihilation barge, lost 2 wolves, then mulched imotek and would have done more if the game had gone on.

Bikers didn't fair so well, the combi-meltas didn't get through wealth in time before they for into combat and that 3++ stopped me from destroying them outright.

Now we have an idea about the combi option what about all the melee weapons we can have now? For the points I'm really liking the frost sword. Getting that extra str will help against all the marines out there and with the - to ap its pretty nice. I would say thunder hammers but I think I have enough of them on my two and wulfen.

Yeah, I am liking the look of Frost swords too. S5 is a bit of a sweet spot IMHO as it gives you +1 to wound against both T4 and T5 targets compared to a regular power sword (T4 and T5 cover a surprising amount of the units out there :wink:). It also means that against T8 monstrosities you are still wounding a 5+ rather than a 6.

Obviously if you want to go monster hnuting then THs are your goto but for an all-round unit, I think Frost Swords are great value.

*snip*

*snip*

Could you also do some math on the stormbolter/combi plasma as well? Bit curious since I own way more plasma then I should.

5x Storm Bolters vs Ork Boyz (Rapid Fire)

13.4x shots hit (BS 3, 67%)

6.7x wound (S4 vs T4=4+ to wound, 50%)

Equation (((20x*.67)*.50)*.83)=

TOTAL: ~5.6x damage dealt

5x Storm Bolters vs Space Marines (Rapid Fire)

13.4x shots hit (BS 3, 67%)

6.7x wound (S4 vs T4=4+ to wound, 50%)

3+ Saving throw=67% saved

Equation (((20x*.67)*.50)*.33)=

TOTAL: ~2.2x damage dealt

5x Combi-Plasma vs Ork Boyz (Rapid Fire)

5x shots hit (BS 4, 50%)

2.5x wound (S4 vs T4=4+ to wound, 50%)

Equation (((10x*.50)*.50)*.83)=

~2.1x damage dealt

5x shots hit (BS 4, 50%)

4x shots wound (S7 vs T4=3+ to wound, 67%)

No save

Equation (((10x*.50)*.67))=

~3.4x wounds

TOTAL: ~5.5x damage dealt on rapid fire vs Ork Boyz

5x Combi-Plasma vs Space Marine (Rapid Fire)

5x shots hit (BS 4, 50%)

2.5x wound (S4 vs T4=4+ to wound, 50%)

Equation (((10x*.50)*.50)*.33)=

~.8x damage dealt

5x shots hit (BS 4, 50%)

4x shots wound (S7 vs T4=3+ to wound, 67%)

Equation (((10x*.50)*.67)*.83)=

~2.7x wounds

TOTAL: 3.5x damage dealt on rapid fire vs Space Marines

3x Storm Bolter/2x Combi-plasma vs Ork Boyz (Rapid Fire)

12x Storm Bolter shots, rapid fire

8x shots hit (BS 3, 67%)

4x wound (S4 vs T4=4+ to wound, 50%)

Equation (((6*.67)*.50)*.83)=

~3.3x damage dealt

4x Storm Bolter shots, rapid fire

2x shots hit (BS 4, 50%)

1x wound (S4 vs T4=4+ to wound, 50%)

Equation (((2*.50)*.50)*.83)=

~.8x damage dealt

4x Plasma gun shots

2x shots hit (BS 4, 50%)

1.3x shots wound (S7 vs T4=3+ to wound, 67%)

No save

Equation ((4x*.50)*.67)=

~1.3x wound

TOTAL: ~5.4 x damage dealt on rapid fire vs Ork Boyz

3x Storm Bolter/2x Combi-plasma vs Space Marines (Rapid Fire)

12x Storm Bolter shots, rapid fire

8x shots hit (BS 3, 67%)

4x wound (S4 vs T4=4+ to wound, 50%)

Equation (((6*.67)*.50)*.33)=

~1.3x damage dealt

4x Storm Bolter shots, rapid fire

2x shots hit (BS 4, 50%)

1x wound (S4 vs T4=4+ to wound, 50%)

Equation (((4*.50)*.50)*.33)=

~.3x damage dealt

4x Plasma gun shots

2x shots hit (BS 4, 50%)

1.3x shots wound (S7 vs T4=3+ to wound, 67%)

Equation (((4x*.50)*.67)*.83)=

~1.1x wound

TOTAL: ~2.7 x damage dealt on rapid fire vs Space Marines
Edited by Caldersson