Contemptor versus Venerable

I'm having a hard time choosing between the two types of Dreadnoughts, and am looking for advice/experience! :)

Looking at two standard loadouts, (Rifleman, and A Cannon/DCCW) there's very little points between the two, with the Contemptors being the more expensive.

16 points for the Rifleman, 12 for the Cannon/DCCW.

Both have the same BS/WS and Toughness.  The Contemptor has 1 point more Strength and 2 wounds (and a degradation chart!).  The Contemptor has more move and a 5+ save.  The Ven Dread gets a 6+ 'FnP'.

Gah.

I really can't choose between them! ;)

I couldn't choose so I took both!

Contemptors are fast and should be used aggressively.

Venerables are great with Twin Autocannons and (my own personal favourite) Assault Cannon and Twin Autocannon. 8-10 shots a turn is nothing to be sniffed at, hitting on a 2+ or 3+ if they move.

Guys. The answer is RELIC Contemptor.

He's 202 points with Kheres, Fist and Storm Bolter. 12 wounds, 2+/5++/6+FNP

Movement does not degrade, and we can use our plastic BaC models :-D

That plastic model is pretty cool. I just put together one with a multi-melta. I'll probably grab a couple more. They're cheap enough. Cataphractii and Tartaros terminators, Mk IV and Mk III power armour. A few Mk X Primaris sprinkled through for taste. You can build a 40k army pretty cheap now, with the box sets that GW has been releasing (and bits sellers breaking them up on eBay).

I couldn't choose so I took both!

Contemptors are fast and should be used aggressively.

Venerables are great with Twin Autocannons and (my own personal favourite) Assault Cannon and Twin Autocannon. 8-10 shots a turn is nothing to be sniffed at, hitting on a 2+ or 3+ if they move.

Why not lascan (being the better autocannon) and maximize ranged output if you are already investing in improved BS?

Consider being able to split fire…