So, where's Karlaen?

Irbis

They should also start calling the Sanguinary Priest what he is: Corbulo.

Hell no.

Why not? He already has a non-standard chainsword, a grail and special amrour that makes him stand out.

If you didn't know which was which, which one would you think to be a special named character and which a generic one. This one:

99070101008_BASanguinaryPriest01.jpg

or that one:

99800101048_BrotherCorbuloNEW_01.jpg

?

Re: Captain Karlaen It looks nice, he is missing Counter-Attack though.

Edited by Quixus

I use mine as corbulo all the time, he is a much nicer model than the original (tho the original does look better than most older sculpts.

That fan made Karlaen data sheet looks ok but he is lacking an ability unique to him. (I assume special character captains have unique abilities

Well Counter attack used to be effectively an extra attack when you were charged (it didn't kick in any other charge bonuses IIRC) so how abut Karlaen and any <Blood Angles> <Terminator> units within 6" can make a single bonus CC attack per model at the end of an enemies successful charge move instead of firing overwatch?

Yeah, I think the majority of us would have been happy to see that model just called Corbulo and the old one phased out, much the same as Khârn and Ahriman.

The thing is proper charging does not generate an extra attack anymore, so I think new counter-attack shouldn't either. How about:"If Karlaen or any <BA> unit within 6" of him is charged, they attack at the same time as the charger. This means all models that would be removed as a casualty can use all their normal attacks before actually being removed.

We won't know what the future will bring but for the moment Space Wolves don't get anything resembling counter-attack and they had it across the board. The vanilla marines don't get anything chapter specific either. No better riding for white scars, no increased durability for iron hands etc, So I doubt they will get it later

We won't know what the future will bring but for the moment Space Wolves don't get anything resembling counter-attack and they had it across the board. The vanilla marines don't get anything chapter specific either. No better riding for white scars, no increased durability for iron hands etc, So I doubt they will get it later

They have said that chapter tactics and equivalents are coming in the codexes.

Yeah I'd be super surprised if we don't see Chapter Tactics come back again; it's essentially been allowed for already with the Keyword system.

Remember this is essentially a get-you-by set of rules.

Yeah, I think the majority of us would have been happy to see that model just called Corbulo and the old one phased out, much the same as Khârn and Ahriman.

People are forgetting that if the Sang Priest model gets renamed to Corbulo, they'll have to immediately release a new model for the Sang Priest, or there won't be any model for it. They may as well just cut out the middle man, and make a new Corbulo.

Why? There is the Command Squad with apothecary and the BA upgrade sprue with a grail. Everything necessary for a Sanguinary Priest already exists. In 5th edition the grail wasn't even necessary to be modelled because most priests just had a tiny shard of one of the goblets Sanguinius used integrated into their Narthecium.

Because of GW's policy of "no model no rules". Every unit entry must have its own model, or it opens up third parties to being able to make their own, as per the Chapterhouse ruling. That's why we lost all those special characters without models from other armies. Sure, we can convert our own, but then again, we can convert our own Corbulo too, so that argument doesn't hold any water.

Did all of the characters from the campaign boxes get 8th edition rules? Obviously Eldrad did as he was an existing character anyway, but what about Krom Dragongaze, the Spawn of Cryptus and Grukk Face-Rippa?

If they all did then it seems odd that Karlaen was left out.

If you can go into a GW and show me the model marked clearly as "Captain Karlaen" then he should have rules.

Sadly he's sold as a "Blood Angels Captain In Terminator Armour."

But that is a stupid move on their part. Enough fluff and previous material has been released to warrant First Captain Karlaen as an independent character that hopefully should be in our new codex? Also let's be honest, if you want your captain to be in terminator armor there are a handful of options from easy kit-bashes to the Captain in Terminator Armor that is sold as an independent miniature. To assume that a Blood Angel Captain in terminator armor is always going to use a thunder hammer and a storm bolter is sorta ... cookie cutter and just plain dumb.

It would be like a toy figure of Superman saying "Generic Super Hero from Another Planet" .. as in there is no Superman anymore, and any future super hero from another planet wears blue tights and a red cape.

GW screwed the pooch by not putting Karlaen in the army index for 8th. I certainly hope he is in our specific codex when its released, along with a cool ability or strategem that suits his background.

... and fluff-wise there is normally one Captain in terminator armor in a Space Marine chapter ;)  .... okay maybe a couple very aged ones that serve as advisors to the chapter master, etc ... but you get my point ;)