Any opinions on the Stormhammer and Leman Russ Annihilator?

Ishagu

Hey

One of my friends is a big AM player, and is curious about these two units in particular. His FW Index is yet to arrive.

What are the thoughts on these models? I hear the Stormhammer is good? What about the Leman Russ?

My only experience of the Stormhammer is from Heresy so it may not be completely useful to 8th but: its a big ol battleship of a vehicle, with plenty of severe firepower that can be utilised in many roles - in particular having 6 lascannons or 6 heavy flamers is a level of wonderful brutality. Its only weakness is the baneblade chassis, however with 8th you no longer have to worry about death by rear armour. 8th has given the main gun/dual battlecannons a bit of a knock, but still worth it for the sheer number of guns.

I think the build that @Harrowmaster cites is a really interesting one. In comparison, I do not think that the Stygies Vanquisher is better; with co-axial and the Stygies variant all you are getting is a reroll to hit and plus one to hit if you did not move. You also get to roll two D6 for damage and discard the lowest. So at most you will do D6 damage, and whilst the Stygies Vanquisher has rules to help it be more reliable in dealing a good amount of damage, it is still only a one shot weapon. A Leman Russ Annihilator, on the other hand, can do up to three D6 damage with three lascannons alone, without even considering the damage it can do with Multi-Melta sponsons. I would be tempted to take Annihilator over the Stygies Vanquisher because of the sheer amount of damage it has the potential to do.

@Ishagu, with regards to the Stormhammer, at first I thought it's rules seemed a little lacklustre, but on rereading I have taken a shine to it. The key is in the additional rules to it's main cannon; you get to roll two D6 for the amount of hits you get, as well as reroll ones when rolling for damage. In both cases there is an added insurance that you might be able to get the most out of the D6 damage and D6 wounds. With a co-axial Multilaser aswell you will be able to reroll all your hits which is sweet. You also have a hull mounted Lascannon, and can switch your six Multilaser sponsons for Heavy Flamers, Heavy Bolters or even Lascannons. With firing arcs on vehicles no longer being a think there is nothing stopping you bringing all these guns to bear. Overall I think it's a solid tank. It can be quite versatile too, being able to take a lot of anti infantry sponsons to complement it's anti-high toughness main weapon.