Teenage Mutant Astartes III Legion and Other Strangeness

Hello everyone! I've been lurking here for awhile and figure it's time to try a log here to keep me more motivated with my painting. I'm a Marine Addict, and I've been painting Horus Heresy marines since before there were HH models available, and the best you could do was paint normal marine models and slap on a home recast of one of the two MkIV helmets available in plastic. My first were Emperor's Children (then Son's of Horus, then a few World Eaters, then some grey Word Bearers on bikes, and then and then and then...) , and the IIIrd were always my most complete painted army being about 90% of a fully painted company, but way below my current standard. With the new Primaris marines launching, I bought two sets worth just to mess around with them and see what I could end up with. I decided to try a revamp of my first Legion and see how they'd end up, and think I did an ok job of making them look like legionaries. Note that I'm not going for perfect MkIII or MkIV replicas, I simply wanted to get the spirit of the heresy, which I think I've managed to an extent.

Thus far, I have one tactical squad and one 5 man devastator squad. (not HH, I know. I haven't played in ages so I just want things to be 40k compatible if I do ever get a game in). I'm very open to ideas on what to add next. I'm thinking a librarian and captain, some Tartaros Termies if I can get them scaled appropriately, another tac squad, and maybe a plasma veteran squad since I have a bunch of plasma ready models so the conversions will be easy. C&C appreciated, and if you have any army composition advice please let me know.

Tactical Squad

Banner Bearer

Devastators

As much as 30k Primaris might irk every fluff bone in my body (and I have a few of those ;) ) the modeler/painter in me must concede that you've done some lovely work on these Marines. That is a gorgeous metallic purple you've accomplished, there. The freehand text on the banner is a little rough, but... I'm hardly the person to judge that, and that can only really come with practice. Great work. :tu:

I agree, the text is my least favorite part and I think it's going to need a do-over. Maybe change it to something easier.

If it helps, the whole reason for the helmet change was to make them slightly less Primaris like. I'm still trying to think of a way to add the little drop down metal loinguards mkIII has that I can do on 30-50 models. I'm my mind they aren't "Primaris Marines", since they won't be mixed with any smaller marines. They're just large scale pretty models that look good in purple. That's also the reason they're getting the regular Marine load out. Hopefully I'll find a way to get that across. Maybe a unit of human auxiliary or something for scale comparison. :)

• 2 weeks later...

So a teeny update as I've been largely focusing on touching up and bulking out my eeeeeevil khorne guardsmen, but I have finished a wee 5 man assault squad, and a Crusade Brand Generic Drop Module to use among any of my armies. Remember kids, use Crusade Brand Generic Drop Modules. Crusade: They're Great!

In less fun news, I now find myself (hopefully temporarily) unemployed. As such I'll likely have awhile full of time for painting, but without the funds to buy much. Luckily, I have an absurd number of unopened boxes of guard and astartes (largely copies of the HAH games). I'm looking on advice of what to paint, and would like it to be a usable, legal army when I'm done.

What flavor of Astartes should I paint next? For the record, I'm not likely to paint more of 3 (unless it's big sized), and am unlikely to paint 5, 7, 9, 13, 15, due to either personal tastes, having done it before, or not having access to the parts I'd need to make it special. Any opinions or requests?

Edited by Kinstryfe