Why Recent Noblebright Lore Additions are Good for 40k

DogWelder

Yes, characterisation which is far more palatable and mainstream acceptable than kidnapping children to turn into murderbabies or building super soldiers out of mass murdering prison stock like we used to have. :smile.:

You're seriously complaining about 2nd edition fluff not being as dark as first edition fluff in an 8th ed fluff thread?

First edition had actual potential happy endings in its fluff. So did third ed, at least with the Eldar. Maybe 2nd ed Eldar had that too, I never got hold of that codex.

There's always been threads of hope in the 40k background, they just kept them as obscure as possible.

Well I imagine Imperial leaning fans would say yes. :wink:. Tell us about how Rob despises everything that the Imperium has become, including his own Chapter.

Both the Dark Imperium novel and Gathering Storm 3 did do that.

Yes, characterisation which is far more palatable and mainstream acceptable than kidnapping children to turn into murderbabies or building super soldiers out of mass murdering prison stock like we used to have. :smile.:

You're seriously complaining about 2nd edition fluff not being as dark as first edition fluff in an 8th ed fluff thread?

First edition had actual potential happy endings in its fluff. So did third ed, at least with the Eldar. Maybe 2nd ed Eldar had that too, I never got hold of that codex.

There's always been threads of hope in the 40k background, they just kept them as obscure as possible.

Well I imagine Imperial leaning fans would say yes. :wink:. Tell us about how Rob despises everything that the Imperium has become, including his own Chapter.

His Chapter? I was aware of the novel painting a better picture but I thought he embraced his boys well enough, except for some dude with an ego.

His Chapter? I was aware of the novel painting a better picture but I thought he embraced his boys well enough, except for some dude with an ego.

He doesn't really despise his own chapter. He felt estranged by them when he first woke up in GS3 but then he has an epiphany and decides to totally devote himself to his fathers ideals.

In Dark Imperium, he shows quite a bit of compassion for his sons. His meeting with Uriel Ventris has a touching moment where Guilliman has to order Ventris to stop kneeling before him because the Captain had such respect for him. Guilliman is also touched by Ventris' respect for all sentient life: alien and human.

“Humanity is not measured on form alone, but by deeds, my lord,’ said Ventris. ‘A mortal man may be inhuman towards other men, yet I have seen xenos behave with honour and fairness when we offer them nothing but hate.’
Guilliman appraised the fourth captain carefully. ‘You impress me, Captain Ventris. I have heard much about your deeds. I did not expect you to be so thoughtful.”

Excerpt From: Guy Haley. “Dark Imperium.” iBooks. 

Archived