Chapter master?

They use the Captain profile now. There wasn't really much point in distinguishing between the two. iirc, they adjusted the Captain's profile to be better as a result.

More, they adjusted it to be a worthy alternative to librarian and chaplain.

But yes. Formerly they had problems distinguishing the chapter master from the captain and tried giving him orbital strike and stuff like this.

I had imagined (during the rumours phase) he would be a more expensive captain that ads one Command Point.

But apparently they decided to make CP-granting models much rarer than I expected.

All of the "named" chapter master profiles (Kantor, Calgar, Shrike, etc) get rerolls to hit 6" aura rather than reroll 1's, so I'd imagine when the codex comes out, if they have an entry for vanilla chapter masters that will be the main difference.

I doubt they will give us a an option for a generic chapter master because as happened before he was much better than the captain and most folks wanted to run him as well, especially with the buffs the chapter masters now provide.

If they add a generic one I expect them to have a rule preventing you from taking him if you have any other equivalents in the army using the same chapter tactic.

I doubt they'll add generic chapter masters as there would be no reason to take a Re-Roll 1s captain when you can take a Re-Roll Everything chapter master. Of course that just means everyone will be running Crimson Fists/Black Templars/Raven Guard for the cheap(ish) chapter masters who let you re-roll everything.

I doubt they'll add generic chapter masters as there would be no reason to take a Re-Roll 1s captain when you can take a Re-Roll Everything chapter master. Of course that just means everyone will be running Crimson Fists/Black Templars/Raven Guard for the cheap(ish) chapter masters who let you re-roll everything.

If they limit them to one per army or such and cost them appropriately then you'll see plenty of captains. After all when you need to fill 3 or 4 hq slots and save some points the captain will be a good choice.

Thanks for the replies.

I think its just a shame you cant represent your own chapters chapter master on the table as well any more.

Agreed, it's a shame. It wouldn't be a problem if the keyword system worked a bit differently. Instead of picking, for example <Furious Eagles> as your custom army's <Chapter> keyword and getting zero benefits, it would have been better to keep it like 7th Edition, where you would pick something like <Ultramarines> and then you could use Marneus Calgar's rules for your chapter master, or any other official chapter that has its own rules and named chapter master.

I do like that you can actually have your custom chapter be its own keyword, but I don't like that there's pretty much no reason to do so. Hopefully they have a generic chapter master in the codex, whose rules force you to pick a non-official chapter, or an official successor who has no rules for their chapter master. For example, Blood Angels and Flesh Tearers would not be allowed to take a generic chapter master due to Dante and Gabriel Seth being official units, but Angels Sanguine would be allowed to take a generic chapter master.