New player

ActuallyUlysses

I am new to WH40k in general. I am trying to figure out how to equip 5  veteran + 1 vanguard veteran kill team and Blackstar that going to carry them around. I believe I have pretty good understanding of 8th edition rule. Just no tabletop experience.

Can any of you share how do you build your kill teams and transports?

Edit: can someone clarify how to we obtain Deathwatch teleporter homer? From datasheets it seems that the only unit that can take it, is squad of bikers.

Edited by ActuallyUlysses

Kill teams are hard to answer. There is a zillion ways to configure them but since you are adding a vanguard I assume it is for assaulting and bouncing out with shooting.

So, Frag cannons are your powerhouse, every team should have at least one, if not 2+. You get sergeants and black shields for free. Use them. Give the blackshield 1 lightning claw or power sword and have a bolter. I personally like the xenophase blade on my sergeant. Fill out the rest with special issue ammo and chain swords combi weapons if you feel you can afford it. Either make your vanguard gunslinger with a plasma and a bolt pistol, or dual lightning claws.

Tha fills up 7 slots in a 12 slot transport. If you wanna get tactical drop a 5 man team in there to support the other team.

The Corvus. Always take the bolters. Take the auspex.then decide if you need to kill hard target or troops and equip accordingly.

It kinda depends what you'd like that particular squad to do, too. Are they going to drop off and assault (melee) some units? Or would you like them to just be fire support for another team? Or perhaps they are going to be monstrous creature/vehicle hunters.

Like Kargrym said the vanguard guy will let you assault one turn, and retreat AND shoot the next turn. For me, I built a half melee/half shooty unit: 1 Sgt (xenophase/bolter), 2 shotguns, 1 shield/bolter, 1 blackshield (dual pistols) and 2 vanguard w/ power swords. And they also will be dropped out of the blackstar. Now mine is a little more fluffy and expensive, but you can see the concept. Drop them off... obliterate what I can...and charge. Hopefully I can tie up a unit for a turn while I position something else to support, then I retreat next turn AND still get my shots with whatever survived (since normally you cannot retreat and shoot in the same turn).

My other 3 teams are:

- Sgt (Xeno/bolter), 2 frags, 1 shield/bolter, 2 combi-meltas/chainsword - Drop pod

- Sgt (Stalker/chainsword), 2 stalkers/chainsword, 2 infernus bolter - Rhino

- Sgt (xeno/combi-flamer), 3 shotguns/chainsword, 1 combi-melta/chainsword - No transport (trying to abuse Advancing and Assault weapon profiles)

Sorry I don't have a lot of mixed teams for you to look at. The moment you insert a biker, vanguard or terminator, you pretty much have to take a blackstar if you want to transport them. They can go on foot, it's just a personal preference for me. I'll probably switch out my 2 infernus bolters for 2 missile launchers.

Interested in seeing what other people got...

There is only one rule - don't spend too much on toys. You want more models most of the time, a lot of DW wargear is a trap.

Also, consider your local meta, what we say might not work there. That is all.

Thank you all for responding.

Yes, my idea is to drop my dudes out of Blackstar, within 9'' from the enemy and then either bait the enemy charge or charge myself. I plan on grabbing 2 x frag cannon + 2 x (shotgun+chainsword) for that automatic Overwatch shots and extra attack... Not sure what to give to Sargent nor vanguard vet.

I kinda like idea of giving someone a storm shield, but dat cost... I might as well buy extra frag cannon.

For the record, this was my 1000 pts army with notes how units performed, you might find it useful:

http://www.bolterandchainsword.com/topic/335667-so-i-played-dw-vs-ig-game-8th-edition/

I'd promote one of chainsword mooks to blackshield, kept vanguard cheap (one plasma pistol should work nicely with your plan) and give power swords/xenophase to models with A3...