Old flamer pattern name

Kua

Does this one have one?

http://wh40k-de.lexicanum.com/mediawiki/images/c/cc/Flamer.jpg

I know that the Roghue Trader design has been put up by FW for HH/30k and is called “Phaestos” now.

The 2nd edition design I am asking about can still be found on Chaos terminators (in the form of combi- and heavy flamers), so has to exist in official fluff, not being just some silly designer’s idea from way back.

But does it have a name already and maybe fluff as by whom it used to be used and when being developed?

I don't know - but that style of flamer is used for the knight's heavy flamer attached to it's Avenger Gatler - might be worth a look in one of the knight codexes if you have one.

Super Soakers.

I have a few of these in my army so would like to know too. I have my 2ed codex at home, will have a look when I get back.

They look better with a remodel though especially getting rid of the tank and putting in some pipes instead.

Phaestos is RT/1st Ed design:

http://wh40k-de.lexicanum.com/mediawiki/images/3/36/Flammenwerfer1st.jpg#

Re-used by FW.

But thx anyway.

I tried googling the knight, but from the pics, even if the tiny flamer thing is of the same design (which it well could be) I doubt there will be fluff about it besides the main gatling weapon.

http://wh40k-de.lexicanum.com/mediawiki/images/c/cc/Flamer.jpg

and

http://wh40k-de.lexicanum.com/mediawiki/images/3/36/Flammenwerfer1st.jpg#

I have to admit, I can't see the difference... What exactly is it you're looking for?

You… don‘t?

The latter one (RT) looks like the FW ones, the former one (2nd Ed, the thread is about) looks like the chaos terminator ones. All of them are existing on miniatures and are distinguishable.

To me, they seem to be of two different patterns.

There is a subtle difference in the casing.  The big difference is the handle.  I'll dig out my rulebooks to see if I can find a name.  Although I'm surprised it's not already listed somewhere on the internet (not that I'm looking).

Thanks.

What I’m suspecting is that it was FW who started to modernize retro patterns and give them names. So that in the original sources (I have access to, too) the flamer in question would just be “the flamer”. In this case it would be more on FW to dig it out and give it a name.

I was asking to make sure the parts of my combi-flamer (you already have seen) fit each other. For the lack of better information I had to rely on them being from the same real-world period, being 2nd edition, when choosing the bolter for the conversion. This way I can hope that when the design gets a name from FW, they will still be of the same pattern.

Edited by Kua

From my searching, weapon patterns generally did not start until 3rd Edition. I also looked through the 2nd ed. Ultramarine and AoD Codecies, just in case.

The 3rd ed flamer then (now) was the 'Heretic' pattern. Unless someone comes up with a source I do not own, then I think it's safe for you to "own" the 2nd ed. pattern name ^_^

If it were me, I'd go for 'Blasphemer' pattern :P

Edited by Race Bannon

Alright, thanks for looking.

Then maybe another flamer question:

The wikis (both of them) are listing different flamer patterns with apparently different names, but they all look the same as the ‘Heretic’ on the pics.

Sure, this is just how they were listed in some (probably FW) books, but does anyone know how they are supposed to differ?