a 1000pt batrep vs new death guard models

Dusktiger

So!  i'm going to try and write this up as best i can, but the game was on a late friday night and there was some drinking involved, so bear with me if i get a little vague in some points here.

we played on a 4x4 table, and rolled for Secure and Control.

Deployment was Search and Destroy.

he had 2 squads of 20 poxwalkers, typhus, 8 chainsword berzerkers on foot, 8 chainaxe berzerkers and kharne in a rhino.

i had Artemis,

KT with 5 bolters and chainswords,

KT with 4 bolter and power swords, a plasma pistol & power sword, and a VV with dual claws.

KT with 4 stalkers and chainswords, and 3 heavy bolters

KT with 3 frag cannons, plasma gun & plasma pistol, combi-melta & power sword, terminator with power maul & assault cannon

Venerable dread with assault cannon and storm bolter

he got top of turn.

he had his foot berzerkers staged near a building near the center of the map so he could rush in behind it and get ready to assault me next turn. 

his poxwalkers and typhus camped near the far end of the table by his objective; 2' in from my left, and 9" in from his table edge.

lastly, the rhino was as near the centre of the map as the deployment map allowed.

i had my stalker squad camped directly behind my objective, looking down a clear road that ran diagonally along the table.  my bolter squad was set to their right slightly, the sword squad to the left.  the frag squad was a little further to the left along with the ven dread to keep an eye out for the footzerkers, and artemis was poised so he gave everything rerolls.

Round 1

the footzerkers tried to rush up my left flank, hiding behind a building that would allow them to move and assault turn 2.

the rhino moved straight across the board towards my right, staying at the centre of the board.

i stayed where i was, knowing he planned to rush me with his khorne units.  frag team and the dread opened up on the footzerkers, and did a modest 3 or 4 kills.  the rest of my KTs took potshots at the poxwalker unit closest to me via kraken bolts, and managed to drop close to half that squad that turn.  i think i also knocked out a pair of wounds on the rhino.

Round 2

the footzerkers moved up and decided to assault the dread. (guessing he wasn't thrilled of all the frag overwatch shots the other unit had)

between his turn and mine, the dread held out and killed the zerkers off on his own, losing 3 wounds overall.

the rhino repositioned itself to make a rush down that open road next turn and assault my objective.

he also moved the wounded poxwalker unit forward, to let it try and join a battle in a turn or two and tarpit me.

i kept where i was, only shifting models slightly to afford better firing lanes.  managed to kill the rhino (first blood!), and got the poxwalker unit down to 4 models.

i think i also killed several zerkers too, cause it wasnt a full unit that charged me next turn.

Round 3

kharne and the zerkers close in and assault my sword unit, and pretty much tore them apart with the 'attacks twice' ability they have.  this worked against him shortly later on.

the poxwalkers and typhus started advancing as well in a 'pull the goalie' type of maneuver when he saw it was clear i wouldn't be coming to him.  another move he'd later regret as it could've let him win had he kept one unit over on his objective.

to avenge my sword team, i shifted the frag and dread squads slightly to see the zerkers and kharne better, and then i lit up the board.  kharne and his posse went down in a blaze of fiery hell.  the small poxwalker unit was wiped out with the extra shots i had left from frag squad, and and remaining stuff that hadnt fired opened up into the now lone typhus and 20 poxwalker unit lumbering towards my centre line.

Round 4

he moved up, and typhus did some nasty psychic stuff, killing more things, and knowing 2 mortal wounds off my dread.

i fired some more, managing to wipe out the poxwalkers this turn, and knocking 2 wounds off typhus.

i also arranged my dread and artemis to head off typhus before he gets closer to my objective

Round 5

Typhus pulls off a multi-assault on artemis and the dread.  he kills the dread, and wounds artemis a bit.

i follow up with my bolter and my frag squads charging in to help out. 

we roll for a Round 6.

here's where im a bit murky. 

i dont know how many kills happened in my round 5 and throughout round 6, but the result is typhus is down to 1 wound and is locked in combat with the 5 bolter & chainsword kill team.  they've been arranged in such a way that if we roll a Round 7, i can fall back and be close enough to claim Linebreaker,  and allow the untouched stalker unit to open up on typhus.

however, we did not roll for 7th, and that ended the game. 

i came out with 3VP for an objective, 1VP for First Blood.

he had 1VP for Slay the Warlord, and 1VP for Linebreaker.

better than in 7th.

some stuff went up in price by about 5pts, and it doesnt really make much sense as they were items that were overcosted to begin with in 7th.  but alot of our wargear that had neat rules before managed to survive the transition  mostly unchanged, apart from the addition of the new AP and D statlines.

some wargear, once you look at the normal marine stuff, starts to make sense how they priced it.  like infernus heavy bolters are the coast of a heavy bolter and a heavy flamer put together, with a 2pt discount.  all the combi weapons are the cost of the special weapon +2pts for having a bolter attached that can fire at the same time.

gameplay, they finally made them different from sternguard, and in a good way, as opposed to before when they were just more expensive sternguard in black armor.  the fact that sternguard no longer have SIA makes them stand out now.  and the fact that adding a single terminator, biker, vanguard to a squad buffs the unit with additional rules is really helpful at making you more flexible; immune to morale, charging back into combat after falling back, shooting after falling back are all really useful tools to be able to do and help you decide how to gear a specific squad better.

also, artemis is now an excellent HQ choice and worth taking in your list.  having a 130pt model that can possibly ignore mortal wounds is a big deal.  and his combi flamer always wounds on 4s on infantry, so that's super helpful on higher toughness stuff.