Terminators and their shields.

Jegind

Just unboxed my first Deathwatch terminators, and just curious on how you make ur termies with SS? you simply use those from the kill team spru, or what? and if you do, how does it look? i mean.....the arms look alot smaller?

Would love to see some pics if people got any

The kill team shield look good, but you have to use the arm and perhaps even the hand from assault terminators. I used the arms from a Blood Angels termie squad, where the hand is separate from the shield. It made the trimming of the kill team one super simple.

you'll likely never see the hand, depending on how you pose them, so don't worry about that.  you'll just need an arm that you can trim at the wrist and mount the shield on. 

the kill team box gives 1 left hand shield and 1 right hand shield, so you have some options there.  they're also the same overall size as the assault terminator sergeant's shield.  so they'll look fine scale wise.

What two posts above said, no one will see hand, simply enlarge it a bit with greenstuff of even a piece of sprue to make contact point with arm bigger, done. Looks much better than regular small terminator shield.

As for arm, if you have access to bit seller, grab a few wolf guard or grey knight terminator right arms. Usually there is little demand so they are quite cheap, and they end at wrist and are perfectly posed for shields.

Alternatively, just use whatever Terminator SS you have on hand and model them up as the appropriate chapter, ie. if you have Deathwing Terminator SS, make that Terminator a Dark Angel or successor, etc.  That's what I did to take advantage of the sweet SW and DA Assault Cannons!  :)

I used a razor knife and cut the hand out of the right handed storm shield.

Quality converting typically involves some level of bits-mutilation, in my experience.  That, and Green Stuff/modeling putty.  :P