Aramis' Mentors and bastard geneseed trials

jtmWwYz.jpg

Got excited about the Deathwatch release.

Thinking about a small unit of Deathwatch Reivers - dropping in with vengeance rounds. Headhunters.

Geneseed trial units detached from the Mentors to Deathwatch under the Ultimaris decree.

Always find black a challenge to paint.

Weathering really helps break up the flat black and disguise sloppy line highlights.

I wanted to paint him without any red, so blue and green shades throughout. The green knee stripe will be the unit marking.

• 4 weeks later...

A brief interuption to build and paint up a Blood Angel. Grotsmasha suggested people

build and paint something eBay to raise cash for B&C donation drive, so I got the bits box out. I figured a Blood Angel would have a good audience.

A Vanguard vet with GK sword and Deathwatch bolter.

bKrqeqh.jpg

• 2 weeks later...

A couple more Deathwatch Reivers.

SJlto8p.jpg

Power sword on the Sgt because I want to.

In fact I've enjoyed these guys so much I've just ordered some more bits for a sniper and a heavy weapons specalist to join the team, still all in Reiver armour.

If I'd thought it through I should have done Intercessors with Auto bolt rifles using Reivers bodies to make a legal base squad.

The Blood Angel I auctioned for B&C funds went for £10.50, which I'm satisfied with for a bits box build as it seems my painting added some value.

A diversion; an Ork skarboy for my Deathwatch to hunt. Because I couldn't resist the Ironjawz minis.

TXO3oaf.jpg

Mostly Ironjawz Brute with a few parts from Ork Nobz and a looted shooter.

One nice thing about the Ironjawz armour and weapons is that it's easy to carve new bits. I forgot to order any chest armour so I used a hacked up shoulder pad instead.

Edited by Aramis K

Nearly done with my Deathwatch marksman... but it doesn't feel done. Something isn't quite right. I think maybe the colours and focal points don't work.

Any suggestions about what I could change or improve for this chap?

wcOBf36.jpg

@Bjorn The cloak is a trophy first worn when infiltrating a xenos hive, the flayed hide helped to disguise the marine as he infiltrated to an overwatch position on the queen. These xenos didn't see or sense like we do, and the scales helped evade detection.

@golfdeltafoxtrot Glad you like it. The leather pouches are Mournfang brown, washed black, highlighted with Kislev flesh with a bit of stippling for texture, then lightly washed black again, and some more flesh coloured highlights at key points. Sometimes I add some further blacklines for definition.

But yeah, the main thing is using a bright flesh colour to highlight and add texture and washing over it to dull it.

@golfdeltafoxtrot Glad you like it. The leather pouches are Mournfang brown, washed black, highlighted with Kislev flesh with a bit of stippling for texture, then lightly washed black again, and some more flesh coloured highlights at key points. Sometimes I add some further blacklines for definition.

But yeah, the main thing is using a bright flesh colour to highlight and add texture and washing over it to dull it.

Awesome, thanks Frater. I’d been going with a Mournfang base previously but I hadn’t done much texturing. I’ll give that a go.

Looking forward to seeing what’s coming next!

• 3 weeks later...

Athos, leader of my kill team.

Intercessor Sgt in recon armour with power blade and cqb issue assault bolter.

kWSscBl.jpg

Not happy with the face in the end. Good hair, weird sideburns, and I couldn't get the eyes right. I might have another go later.

But the kill team is ready for kill team ops.

Really enjoyed building a mixed mini force, so I'll be doing some more of that I think.

• 4 weeks later...

Kill-marine Calilieu, solo operative attached to kill team Athos.

Unknown to the team until they encountered him during the assault on hab-block 284. As the team was positioned to attack, Calilieu exited having already cleared the block of resistance and presented Athos with the objective.

Subsequent analysis of burned xeno corpses discovered toxic splinter wounds leading Athos to suspect Calilieu of using xenos shock-grenades.

U8xBagB.jpg