The New Codexes

jtod21

And I am quite annoyed I forked 20€ for that index to have to buy a codex not 2 months later. I would likely have bought it anyway if I had known, but at least it would have been my decision. I always feel like that sort of practice amounts to money grabbing.

I have mixed feelings about the whole thing.

The indexes allowed for 8e to be released faster.  GW was able to make "play now" rules to ring in the new edition without having to wait until all of the armies were properly updated.  The indexes allowed players to get in and play a more "watered-down" version of the game and to complain to/praise/report problems to GW.  They were able to take this information and apply it to a more finalized rule set.  In the end, the codexes will come out over the course of a year (or more, since they seem to want to be VERY thorough), meaning 8e would have been delayed by that long.

It would have been nice, however, for GW to come out and say "The indexes are temporary and will become outdated when the codexes are out," and then listed tentative release dates for the codexes.  Classic Space Marine players probably would have passed on the index (maybe), while almost everyone else would still have benefited from the indexes.

Hard to say, though. I like the index, personally, but am a bit "meh" about having to buy yet another book in the coming weeks.

Edited by jtod21

It would have been nice, however, for GW to come out and say "The indexes are temporary and will become outdated when the codexes are out," and then listed tentative release dates for the codexes.  Classic Space Marine players probably would have passed on the index (maybe), while almost everyone else would still have benefited from the indexes.

Hard to say, though. I like the index, personally, but am a bit "meh" about having to buy yet another book in the coming weeks.

This exactly. My local GW manager even told me the index rules would not be changing...

We will not get our own codex. Unfortunately we just do not have enough unique units to warrant one.

Yet.

And wont be lol. We aren't exactly the most politically correct of chapters in the SM range. 

I feel for those who have bought the indexes and are surprised by how fast the new codices are being released. Had GW said that they would be releasing codices as soon as July, I think a lot of Marine players would have guess that ours would be up first and most likely would have waited. 

It is exciting times though, 10 codices released prior to the end of the year. Who would have thought we would have lived to see such times? :happy.:

I don't think we'll get a codex. We are unique in our tactics, aesthetic, and chapter organization, but sans sword brothers and neophytes I just don't think we have enough unit variety to necessitate a separate entry.

*shakes Crozius*

Back in my day, that was the case for the Blood Angels and Dark Angels, too! Back before these 'Sanguinary Guard' and 'Nephilim' and 'Darkshroud' units, and back when everyone knew that putting a filthy witch in a sacred Dreadnought was a bad idea, the Blood Angels were 'Codex with a few unique units and fluff', the Dark Angels were 'Codex with a few unique units and fluff', and the Black Templars were pretty much the same - 'Codex with a few unique units and fluff'.

Those Chapters got unit variety when they got updated codexes; if we ever got our own, it would be the same.

Well, we're doing better than the Salamanders at the moment! [cough]Codex: Armageddon[/cough]

I feel for those who have bought the indexes and are surprised by how fast the new codices are being released. Had GW said that they would be releasing codices as soon as July, I think a lot of Marine players would have guess that ours would be up first and most likely would have waited.

It is exciting times though, 10 codices released prior to the end of the year. Who would have thought we would have lived to see such times? :happy.:

The joys of modern technology. They upload the codex to the printing company. Meanwhile, uploading to another to another company, etc.

They devoted a lot of out of house player time into developing the rules, which meant they could devote more time to publishing said materials in house.

If they keep a similar model down the road we could possibly get printing editions per year, instead of new codex in 2-5 year cycles.

But we'll see how it pans out.

Any one else surprised to see that warlord traits will be included in the new codex? I didn't think they existed anymore, we haven't been playing with them anyways.

We will not get our own codex. Unfortunately we just do not have enough unique units to warrant one.

Yet.

And wont be lol. We aren't exactly the most politically correct of chapters in the SM range. 

Space Wolves, Blood Angels and Dark Angels, they've all been slowly receiving units from edition to edition.

They didn't start with the range they have now right off the bat.

It is possible we eventually get a codex, depending on how fluff goes.

Personally, I think that, for the time being at least, we'll be stuck in the vanilla dex.

Now, to speculate:

In the future there might be two option depending on how fluff goes, We could see a Sons of Dorn dex or supplement (as the IF had some digital supplements and BT had a proper codex);

OR, and this is a huge salty or, GW could decide to group us with Greyfax and Celestine if the fluff goes down that route (so we'd be to the church what the GK are to the Inquisition) - This would make sense fluffwise and it would give us and the ordo ministorum a revamp , however, there would be a lot of p***** off people, but mainly SoB players, because they still haven't got plastic models

BECAUSE we dont have a own codex.

(better said - because GW hates us)

Again, Highly doubt that... if there's actually one gremlin in GW who dislikes Templars, it would be the 6th ed. Codex writer and Draigo creator... I think he has mentioned that in a WD somewhere during an interview... something about Templars wanting to be like Ultramarines same as any other Chapter... all Chapters apparently for him want to be Ultramarines, because for him Ultramarines are the greatest.... :p

You know who I'm talking about ;)

But GW has had a lot of love for Templars recently, for one they gave awesome rules to Templar specific units... two, a lot of lore for the Templars aren't just back but are better... seriously, thousands of Battle Brothers per Crusade fleet? It didn't say hundreds, but THOUSANDS! we have Legion potential again :D The now obsolete Fall of Cadia book has shown a lot of love for Templars, all of their polls for favorite Successor Chapters have been smashed by Templars and we even manage to save the Imperium indirectly twice... first when we saved the relic to revive Guilliman and a second time when we saved Guilliman by planting a Black Sword on a Daemons chest... I'd say we're getting attention, and it seems to be the good kind... can't wait to see what they have in store for us in the Codex...

Really?

Personally, I want all chapters in one codex, except Space Wolves, which is the only chapter that is different enough to warrent one.

Different enough? I disagree.

Most of the differences are just in the names.

I can make here on the spot the equivalent for Templars.

Just change veterans for sword brothers.

Venerable Dreadnaughts for sword bro dread

Add Castellan to the HQ choices.

Heavy weapons squad as a crusader support squad.

Boom codex Black Templars with "different" units done.

All SM could fit into a codex. They have just done that on the index.

Really?

Personally, I want all chapters in one codex, except Space Wolves, which is the only chapter that is different enough to warrent one.

And yet, they fit into the Index just fine.  Fancy that.  :tongue.:

But no, GW doesn't "hate us."  Enough with that melodrama already. :dry.:

Edited by Firepower

the thing i write it so dramatic is just because of my hope that GW show up in this forum and realize that they have to foot up the last 2 years^^

The fluff wasnt the problem and in the end of 7th edition - playing Templar was okay (not like 4th edition but it was really ok)

Just realized as well, that they may have removed the option for Chapter Masters in the Index, but they might actually bring the option back to represent Chapter Masters...

just wishlisting, but maybe an X points/power extra, but they have the option to take some sort of special rule that only they have access to, sort of like a Warlord Trait, but exclusive to Chapter Masters...

MOD VOICE: Ok, let's keep the discussion on track. We are a rightfully and righteously made chapter that has ZEAL leaking out of our ears, but we also need to temper the use of our zealousness in discussions.

There's nothing wrong with expressing opinions, we all have them. However, opinions do not become more valid stated the second time (or more). They're still the same opinion. So keep that in mind. A discussion is an exchange of ideas. If you only throw out the same idea, you aren't in a discussion.

Our future in 8th edition is a broad and yet to be filled in landscape. GW will treat us well, but we have to do something we're not really good at...being patient.

What GW/FW have done in the past two years was unfathomable only 5 years ago. These are truly amazing times we live in.

Will GW do everything perfectly?

No. Don't expect them to, they're only human.

I do think they've continued to demonstrate that they have everyone's best interest at hand (including their own).

So let's keep that in mind.

"Business plans" are not instantaneously delivered. They take time to roll out, time for the target audience to absorb (that's us), time to observe so you can make course adjustments.

The picture we are an important part of, is still being painted.

OR, and this is a huge salty or, GW could decide to group us with Greyfax and Celestine if the fluff goes down that route (so we'd be to the church what the GK are to the Inquisition) - This would make sense fluffwise and it would give us and the ordo ministorum a revamp , however, there would be a lot of p***** off people, but mainly SoB players, because they still haven't got plastic models

This is what I'm anticipating, joining with the ecclesiastical forces. Could be a really interesting move by GW, but would definitely cause arguments!

*before 'GW changes fluff all the time'*

Wouldn't that completely invalidate the entire prohibition of the Ecclesiarchy from holding men-at-arms; and all the fluff derived?

not quite, the black templars are an astartes chapter, as such they would not answer directly to the ecclesiarchy, much like the GK are an independent chapter, they just choose to work with the inquisition.

plus, technically that exception has been breached, the ecclesiarchy (or adeptus ministorum) have men at arms beeing the crusaders (they are the elite bodyguard of the cardinals).

and on top of that, huge warp rift literally splitting the Imperium in half, more daemons, more heretics, more power to the church.

For me it would make sense to see the templars joing up with the ministorum, GW has made it cannon that the templars see the Emperor as a god. It would also be easy to make the transition from vows to acts of faith.

Highly doubt that with Guilliman awake, they'd give more power to the church... the most likely thing to happen following GW direction, is the Templars band up for the Indomitus Crusade... which is sort of the "Calling All Autobots..." with Helbrecht being the Prime...

this would cause a lot of concern with the other Chapters, seeing a Chapter that should number only 1000 reach into greater numbers... Guilliman wouldn't say much I reckon, seeing how Templars are viewed to be one of the most loyal Chapter to the Imperium, but others would definitely complain...