Command Squads?

MoK

I haven't actually read the new Index. But as I right in thinking Command Squads are no longer a thing? Are Standard Bearers, Apothecaries and Champions now independent characters? Does this mean no one will use them?

Paul

Aye, as Acebaur says, what was your 5-man Command Squad is now 4 distinct units on the battlefield;

• Company Champion (Character)
  • Company Ancient (Character)
  • Apothecary (Character)
  • Company Veterans (Unit of 2-5)

The Company Veterans retain their previous weapon options and also have the ability to sacrifice themselves to take wounds that the characters would otherwise suffer providing they are within 3".

Guess I won't be using Apothecaries, Standards or Champuons then. Company vets are fair enough, but I need my Elites slots for Terminators and Dreadnoughts.

Do you? Is that not only in a Vanguard FOC? In which case I would have less troops slots, if I've understood it correctly.

Most of the time you are served better by adding a vanguard FOC and grab that extra CP instead of filling the optional slots in your battalion FOC, but yes, IIRC you do.

Let me tell you, the Ancient is a fantastic force multiplier in a counter assault scenario. You receive a charge, and there is a 50/50 chance that your casualties swing one more time before being removed. If that causes a casualty, then the Morale Phase is that much harder on that enemy unit.

How can you not love Apothecaries?! They can heal characters' lost wounds, or revive unit's casualty. Lose that special weapon? The Apothecary is on the scene!

I'm wondering if Hellblasters are better than Company Veterans, ignoring force org restrictions. Plasma is the most popular choice of weaponry in discussions, and Hellblasters have longer range plasma that doesn't die as quickly. They don't have access to the other weapons, but really only melta access is relevant as non-heavy grav doesn't outclass plasma, and flamers can be gotten from, say, Assault Squads.