Best loadout for leviathan Dreadnought

Isn't the grav quite short ranged though? As always it depends on what you need from the unit. I like the idea of dual storm cannons, lots of high strength dakka

As so I lol. And I usually play Orks but 20 shots sounds so tempting. But everyone seems to say the grav bombard is the way to go.

Think big. A single bombard gives you 1D3+1D3 for every 5 models. So, against an ork mob (30 dudes), it averages 14 (7D3) S9 shots Ap -5 D2 at BS 2+ (or 28 if you shot both of them at the same unit) and vs full conscript squad 22 (11D3) shots. You'll be throwing a fair amount of high strength dice :D

Vs vehicles/monsters is also excellent, as Damage becomes 5, making ~11 damage in a turn of shooting (firing both).

that is assuming you get the max amount of shots off but with the potential so high, double bombard is hard to ignore. double stormcannon is a safe bet. i saw on a dark artisan battle report he was thinking about using the stormraven to transport the leviathan. double bombard levi in a stormraven sounds too good to be true.

Anyone battle a leviathan against a knight yet? How does that matchup fare? I use my Glottkin as a counts as knight sometimes, my buddy plays knights/wraithknights. Maybe a leviathan would help me out more against him.

My Leviathan with Claw and Melta has gotten a charge off vs a knight in 30k and killed it before it swung.

4 melta shots on the way in helped tip the scales.

It will generally come down to either the Levi getting the charge off or being hot at rolling 4++s

Edited by Slips

that is assuming you get the max amount of shots off but with the potential so high, double bombard is hard to ignore. double stormcannon is a safe bet. i saw on a dark artisan battle report he was thinking about using the stormraven to transport the leviathan. double bombard levi in a stormraven sounds too good to be true.

The numbers he posted are the average. If you rolled max on every D3 you'd be throwing down something like 42 shots.

I run my leviathan with own grav flux and one claw. I get some shooting and I get some melee. It's an all around threat that your opponent cannot ignore. It's such a damage soak with the 4+ invuln And double heavy flamer just wrecks stuff too. I killed Celestine in overwatch wih it haha. Was hilarious.

My Leviathan with Claw and Melta has gotten a charge off vs a knight in 30k and killed it before it swung.

It will generally come down to either the Levi getting the charge off or being hot at rolling 4++s

Land, pop melta - if Knight survives then charge. If you fail the charge and he charges you - then it's strategem time baby to strike first!

The numbers he posted are the average. If you rolled max on every D3 you'd be throwing down something like 42 shots.

yeah that is true but of course there is still that risk factor of a poor roll for a number of shots and then a poor roll from the actual shots followed by poor wound rolls. i'm not knocking the grav bomabrd, the reward is worth the risk but.........given the price hikes on some units, that risk becomes greater when you cant afford as much guns as you could in 7th ed. thats why i like the double stormcannon. surely from 20 shots on two wounds a piece it should do some decent damage on most units.

Land, pop melta - if Knight survives then charge. If you fail the charge and he charges you - then it's strategem time baby to strike first!

Charging units always go first though, the stratagem can only interrupt the activation sequence so you can get first so that's not going to work I'm afraid...

Charging units always go first though, the stratagem can only interrupt the activation sequence so you can get first so that's not going to work I'm afraid...
If your opponent had multiple charges and does NOT choose this combat first, you CAN interrupt the sequence and make the dread go. If it is the only charging unit, it'll always get the first strike.

I'm contemplating buying a Leviathan as well. It looks amazing and the bombard rules are silly strong, but balanced by the short range. All the weapons seem pretty good though, they have their strengths and weaknesses. Thankfully, magnets exist!

I think they've done a very good job balancing the weapons for the leviathan, they all have good niches. The cyclonic melta is possibly a little too expensive but there's a nice range in there. I think the Bombard is probably the best as it's the middle of the road choice, not quite as good/reliable at killing infantry squads as the storm cannon, not quite as good at killing vehicles as the melta. 

I fought a dual stormcannon loadout at the weekend that spent the game in Guilliman's aura. It and a venator took a banelade down to 6 wounds in a single round of shooting. Horrifyingly effective.

• 1 month later...

So I'm just about finished painting my Leviathan. I finally did my first successful magnet job on a model. So for now I'm going to try double grav-flux bombards.

However did they ever FAQ the missiles on top for this bad boy?

And I cant wait to get another one of these easily my favorite looking of the Dreads.

If you're running a loyalist variant and want CC, a Melta array and Siege Drill isn't a bad shout. You're getting as many shots as two Grav Flux bombards against a single model unit for example, and the weapon performance is comparable.

I think this Dreadnought is truly fearsome in CC, so I'll vote on Melta Array and Siege Drill. It's expensive but a psyker can buff this Dread to t9, combining this with a 2+ save and 4+ invul.

So I'm just about finished painting my Leviathan. I finally did my first successful magnet job on a model. So for now I'm going to try double grav-flux bombards.

However did they ever FAQ the missiles on top for this bad boy?

And I cant wait to get another one of these easily my favorite looking of the Dreads.

They have not, no extra missiles.

Sorry to hijack. Do you think it'll fly if I buy the Leviathan weapons, but use the Redemptor as the chassis? From what I have seen they sre similar in size.

Is the Redemptor the primaris one? I was going to do the same thing. What you described is called a conversion and yes, that is absolutely OK. You are even following WYSIWYG with weapons.