Chapter shoulderpads - how to paint?

Yodhrin

Not in a general "how I werk brush hurr" kind of way, but rather in the sense of exactly how you paint them. From "official" sources I've seen depictions where the whole shoulderpad is done in chapter colours including the rim in the base colour if the chapter in question uses company rim colourings normally, I've seen the "field" of the pad painted with the appropriate colour and logo but with black rims, the same but with silver rims, and even in one case an Ultramarine who retained their 2nd Co. gold rims for some reason. Is there some logic to which chapter gets which style, or is it just personal choice by the painter/artist in each case?

The 7th edition codex had a note on style that suggested pad trim could be either the original chapter's colour or the Deathwatch black or silver. It basically comes down to what you think looks good on your dudes. :)

it was on pg 49 in the 7th Ed. codex;  they showed 3 examples of an Ultramarine shoulderpad and stated that "the trim of a Deathwatch Space Marine's Chapter pauldron may appear in his Chapter's own colors, or either the black or silver of the Deathwatch."  with the 3 examples having a black, silver, or ultramarine blue trim.

I paint them in full-on Chapter colours, with the rim matching their Chapter heraldry; e.g. the Howling Griffon pad is trimmed in black, the Imperial Fist pad is trimmed yellow, the Salamander pad is green trim etc.