Go to unit combos?

Morticon

Yep, they're 6 Power or 24 melta bombs - not cheap!

It doesn't have any of the fancy rules it had before either - it's just a bare bones pod with no weapons that can transport a Dread.

Edited by LutherMax

Something for my ever-growing todo list but taking two Xiphons* and a Stormraven in a Flyer wing is apparently the bee's knees.

* Of course this can be done with Stormhawk/talons but it's not BA, etc.

Something for my ever-growing todo list but taking two Xiphons* and a Stormraven in a Flyer wing is apparently the bee's knees.

* Of course this can be done with Stormhawk/talons but it's not BA, etc.

The Xiphon is very pretty. Lots of Dakka too in 8th.

If you can, split the thunder hammer away from the storm shield on the models. You don't want to lose your best weapon when failing a save. TH on V.Sgt, TH on someone then a SS on two models each and finally one vanilla model. I'd quote the post above but can't figure it out on mobile. Take normal save on vanilla dude if you can, or SS first if AP.

Interesting, but you lose on the alpha strike ? You made me reconsider my fulled loaded Vet Squad

Interesting, but you lose on the alpha strike ? You made me reconsider my fulled loaded Vet Squad

I always keep a couple of guys with basic equipment to act a bullet catchers. It makes the squad cheaper and they will almost always take a casualty or two on the way in. And if they don't, that probably means the battle is going my way anyway. :wink:

Wouldn't that only be Str9? Pretty sure Thammers and Pfists are x2 Strength because modifiers are applied after your melee bonuses.

Ohhh snap! Is that true? Damn.. gonna have to rethink some things then.

Well wait a minute. So I've been trying to find the line that mentions how these stack up and I can't seem to find it. So you may be right. Specifically because it isn't a +1 strength anymore but rather a +1 strength characteristic which is entirely different. If it says "Adds 1 strength to their attack", then I would add that at the end. But it does specifically state "Increase their strength characteristic by 1" which indicates to me that you increase their Strength, then when you attack with the weapon it's 2x their strength characteristic.That's an interesting change.

Amendment time.

I found out what page I was thinking of when I said you don't add strength until after you multiplied:

Page 175 of the full rule book (not the battle primer) says on the side bar that any modification to characteristic must multiply/divide before addition/subtraction. So that means x2 first, +1 second thus only strength 9 for thunder hammers and power fists.

+1str is still semi-useful to get you that 3+ to wound on marines but you're going to be in that 5+ valley for anything like vehicles and dreads.

Edited by Spagunk

Bugger- missed page 175 :sad.: Odd to have a core rule not in the core rules :dry.:

Yeah, most definitely. That was why I couldn't find it for awhile. I actually stumbled upon it when flipping through pages trying to find the rules for how reserves are supposed to work.

Ohhh.... bummer about the str bonus. I suppose it is more useful against infantry then. At least we wound easier on them.

Started looking into Tactical Squads as I decided to build the Dark Angels 4th company for my escalation campaign locally. The 10-man tac squads from Dark Vengence are super cheap right now, and it will give me some refreshers on painting again. But I was really interested in seeing how much plasma you can dump into a Tactical squad. So here is another option we have.

Tactical Squad (10-man) - Combat Squaded with a Twin-Lascannon Razorback to transport the Sgt, Plasma Gunner and three marines up to firing range.

Combi-Plasma, Plasma Gun, Plasma Cannon

A bit more shooty than most Blood Angels players like but it hits pretty damn hard against MEQ and Vehicles. Not so great against hordes though.

Was it not like that in previous editions (multiply before add)?

Oh, it definitely was. However we had hopes that it changed this edition since STR is more useful to take out high toughness models. Str 10 is a 2+ for toughness 5 model which helps against anything plague related, bikes and some Primaris characters.

Edited by Spagunk

Was it not like that in previous editions (multiply before add)?

For most of them, yup!!  Just figured since the cap of 10 was removed, there would be room for that.  And given the wording and the absence of a clear rule previously (now found) it did seem like it was the way it was going. 

Oh well. Not a huge thing!