DW vs Genestealer Cult Batrep (3 game summary)

Mobius0288

So a quick summary of the three games I played against Cult (1500), with lessons learned at the bottom.

Original DW list:

1x Chaplain (bolt pistol)

1x Captain (combi-plasma/claw)

1x Vangaurd Veteran unit (2 claw Sgt, 1 claw/SS, hand flamer, 2x plasma pistol, 3x chainsword)

1x Kill team "Camper" (3 stalkers, 2 infernus bolter)

1x Kill team "Assault" (1 combi-flamer/xeno-phase Sgt, 2 DW shotguns/chainsword, 1 combi-melta/chainsword, 1 DW frag cannon)

1x Kill team "Blackstar" (1 bolter/xeno-phase Sgt, 1 Shield/bolter, 2 DW shotguns/chainsword, 1 bolt pistol/grav pistol Blackshield, 2 bolt pistol/power sword Vanguard Vets)

1x Kill team "Alpha" (1 bolter/xeno-phase Sgt, 1 Shield/bolter, 2 DW frag cannons, 2 combi-melta/chainswords)

1x Rhino (Camper team)

1x Drop pod (Alpha team + Captain)

1x Corvus Blackstar (twin assault, 2x storm strike, hurricane bolters, auspex array) (Blackstar team + Chaplain)

Genestealer Cult:

1x Magus (HQ/psycher)

1x Patriarch (HQ/Warlord)

1x Primus (HQ)

2x Acolyte Hybrids (6 units) (troops)

1x Neophyte hybrids (mining laser, shotgun, grenade launcher; 10 units) (troops)

1x Neophyte hybrids (mining laser, shotgun, grenade launcher; 6 units) (troops)

2x Purestrain genestealer (10 units) (Elite)

1x Cult Leman Russ (battle cannon, heavy bolter) (heavy support)

1x Goliath Rockgrinder (demo charge, clearance incinerator, heavy stubber) (heavy support)

2x Cult Chimera (heavy bolter, hunter killer missile, multi-laser, storm bolter) (dedicated transport)

Game 1 - Big guns (victory points for killing heavy support plus 6 objectives)

The first game was primarily us getting used to the rules and getting familiar with our own armies. Tactics for DW was to kill the Leman Russ ASAP lock some of the Cult army down behind terrain so I can deploy troops and hold objectives. I drop pod'd the Alpha team with Captain close to the Tank and sent my Corvus in for back-up; killed it first turn. The chimeras got bogged up in the back the next turn which let me push to the objectives. Cult's turn, he sent in his cult ambushes and attempted to charge, but got massacred from the frag cannon overwatch. We ended this game early at turn 2/3 do to misinterpretation of rules.

Game 2 - Kill points

Took our stuff down to the store and played, we definitely got a better exposure to the rules during this game. We had a couple guys coach/translate rules for us.

Turn 1: Tactics were the same for DW - kill the big tank and reign havoc with blackstar while I try to secure firing position. DW got initiative and repeated Game 1 tactics. Wounds on first turn, nothing destroyed. Cult sends in his cult ambush units and attempts to flank the back and grab an easy line breaker. Wounds dished out, nothing destroyed.

Turn 2: Leman Russ is destroyed and chimeras are bogged down in the deployment zone attempting to mostly hit the blackstar (takes 3 wounds). Most everything disembarks and the Vanguards deep strike to flank "the flank," which is the patriarch and friends. They attempt to charge and fail. I also had the Assault kill team heading towards the patriarch since they were closest; both teams got wounds in but the unit wasn't dead. The Blackstar team dropped and is moving to engage a chimera in the back field. Cult's turn and wipes out the vanguard (THAT PATRIARCH). Alpha team takes some casualties.

Turn 3: Poor fire into the patriarch! It survives a salvo from the Camper team and Assault team, only 1 or 2 wounds left. Both chimeras take wounds and one gets charged. The Blackstar takes shots at one chimera and pours bolter fire into stray infantry. A couple more units are destroyed/failed morale. Cult attempts to charge with the patriarch and dies to 2 shotguns and a frag overwatch.

We end the game and talk tactics/lessons learned, most of the units were destroyed or too far away to form back up.

Game 3 - Spoils of War (Objective cards)

DW List change (highlighted blue):

1x Watchmaster

1x Captain (combi-plasma/claw)

1x Dreadnaught (assault cannon/close combat claw/storm bolter)

1x Kill team "Camper" (3 stalkers, 2 missile launchers)

1x Kill team "Assault" (1 combi-flamer/xeno-phase Sgt, 2 DW shotguns/chainsword, 1 combi-melta/chainsword, 1 DW frag cannon)

1x Kill team "Blackstar" (1 bolter/xeno-phase Sgt, 1 Shield/bolter, 2 DW shotguns/chainsword, 1 bolt pistol/power sword Blackshield, 1 bolt pistol/power sword Vanguard Vet)

1x Kill team "Alpha" (1 bolter/xeno-phase Sgt, 1 Shield/bolter, 2 DW frag cannons, 2 combi-melta/chainswords)

1x Rhino (Camper team)

1x Drop pod (Alpha team + Watchmaster)

1x Corvus Blackstar (twin assault, 2x storm strike, hurricane bolters, auspex array) (Blackstar team + Captain)

gallery_96346_13447_262221.gif

This game went a lot smoother in that we figured out the rules of our armies and core rules by this point. DW still followed the same tactic starting with the big tank. DW bogged down his chimeras with the blackstar and Alpha team. Cult's flanks were a little better in positioning this time. Most of the Alpha team got taken out and retreated with the watchmaster. Had a frag cannon or two which prevented the genestealer onslaught and saved my warlord. The patriarch was eventually slain by the Corvus, but not before taking out the dreadnaught and Assault team. We get to turn 5 and call it: DW gets 8 VP and Cult gets 2. It was a mix of unlucky rolls and objective cards.

Lessons learned:

- Watchmaster is legit, both individually and because of his aura

- Vanguard have some close good combat abilities (even just chainswords are good). As their own unit, need to be careful what you pit them up against. It also seems like you need to have the charge the turn they come in on, or they won't be too helpful. I guess one tactic to remember is that they can fly over structures to get to their target. Still playing with them. You definitely don't need more then 1 Vanguard in a kill team unless you're trying to stack heavy melee weapons. There ability to fall back and shoot is worth the price alone.

- Blackshield should not dual wield pistols. For some reason I have it in my head I could "attack" with pistol profiles in close combat. You cannot. You can only shoot them once in the shooting phase, even if that unit is in close combat. I'm ok with a power sword. Lightning claws might still be an ok choice, as well as the bigger stuff like an axe or hammer.

- The Blackstar is clutch when you have air superiority. Do not put it in hover, there is no need. Fly it like a gunship and circle the battlefield. The cluster bomb is definitely best used on infantry units (mortal wounds on a 6 as you fly over a single unit, otherwise no damage).

- I hyped the infernus bolter up for myself but it turns out the missile launcher (same price) is a much better option since I can deal with a better range of threats. Plus the D6 hits x 2 models has some good hit potential against infantry, AND it has better range.

- Stalkers weren't the most exciting things in my games. I never really had the opportunity to use max range. I used hellfire when they were on the move and ended up using vengeance rounds a few times

- If your transport is empty, you can use it to charge another transport or unit. If you can tie that unit up or delay it from reaching a more important unit, that's a win!

- You really don't need more than 1 Storm Shield, and I would stick those in your bigger/more valuable squads... or if you intend for them to fight something with serious fire power

Next focuses:

- How to best include a terminator (from fire support perspective, not morale)

- Storm bolters vs bolters w/ SIA

- Sisters of Silence or Mechanicus as allies for my bigger list

Edited by Mobius0288

Thanks for the great batrep!

Next focuses:

- How to best include a terminator (from fire support perspective, not morale)

- Storm bolters vs bolters w/ SIA

- Sisters of Silence or Mechanicus as allies for my bigger list

Cyclone Terminators are obviously a solid choice, though I'm not sure if they're worth the massive point investment.  As for SB versus SIA Boltguns, I feel that running the former gives you more dakka but it takes away from what makes Deathwatch special and you lose a lot of flexibility in target selection.

Allies is a tougher discussion because it depends quite a bit on your local meta.  If Psyker spam is getting on your nerves, the SoS are a fun build and the models are (IMO) some of the best GW has produced in recent years.  They've gotten a bit of the nerf bat in 8th but 4 units split into 2 Rhinos still gives you a large amount of psychic defense and both the flamer and melee variants off some interesting options.  AdMech are a bit on the weak side right now despite their scary guns because their line infantry are surprisingly pricey and squishy and lack any sort of protection (transports, auras, etc.), though if you just wanted fire support with Kastelans and Onagers that'd probably be a solid option to back up your aggressive Kill Teams.

Ya so for me, I'm really digging a unit of 5 terminators with storm bolters and power swords (wish I had more terminator power sword arms!). It keeps them cheaper then what other space marine factions would have to pay, maybe throw in an assault cannon to compliment. I feel it would be a great unit to just pour fire on to something, or at least force some rolls.

Within a kill team I guess is the thing I'm going to focus on. I think fluff wise it's gonna look pretty cool, but pretty much forces a landraider to corvus for transport. Should I maximize the morale auto-pass rule and take a bigger squad? That kind of takes away points I can use from other squads (primarily concerned with spreading around the frag cannons).

That cyclone missile is pretty cool and appears to be handy in most situations, but I think I can do it cheaper with 2 veterans and missile launchers. And I would get 2 D6 rolls vs the CML's 2 D3 wounds? Any other benefits or cons I'm missing out on?

Thanks for the insight on allies, I agree with you in all points. I'm lacking psychers in my army so I've felt SOS to be the best fit when I start building a 2000 pt list. I suggested Adeptus because I had some lying around, but really it would be nice to get an ally with cheap troops so I can get some more battlefield control... but still have decent stopping power.