=][= Unit(s) of the week: Conscripts =][=

duz_

As promised, here's a shot of 120 of the little buggers. I also have a decently sized Valhannan army I picked up secondhand for cheap that I'm painting up to act as Conscripts in larger games where I want to be able to make sure there's no doubt who's a conscript and who's a proper Guardsmen.

http://i.imgur.com/7hA71nF.jpg

I definitely expect the nerfbat to come soon. I imagine Conscripts will either become unable to take orders, or else their interaction with Commissars will be changing. Unless enough thousands of cadian boxes are sold, then maybe the almighty Dollar/Pound will win out in the end.

Edited by Kinstryfe

Finish basing them, or it doesn't count! :biggrin.:

For balance purposes, I expect some kind of limitation on Conscripts, like only one per detachment, or even one per army.  Not being able to take orders is another good idea, since they are too undisciplined for that.  The interaction with Commissars will likely stay the same, or perhaps he needs to shoot D6 of them to keep them under control. :P

Edited by Withershadow

I suspect the limit of 0-1, 0-2, or 0-3 conscripts per detachment seems to be a reasonable compromise.

Hopefully not a point increase as WF mentioned earlier that would throw the rest of unit balance out of kilter

Commissars should not lose there unique battleshock ability it's honestly the only way IG have guardsmen on the board after being shot on any given turn. This battleshock ability will not change. I honestly don't see conscripts changing at all guard are not currently an unstoppable army (look at Death Guard currently, no seriously look at them) guard haven been in a tough spot for 3 editions now. We are just now getting to a place where we are equal footing with other armies. We don't hide behind toughness 4 and 3+ armor saves like the poster boys to the game, we win through mass numbers much like Nids or Orks do. So should other cheap troops armies be nerfed as well? I don't think so.

Krash

Honestly, the expected rebalance is why I haven't made much progress on painting my men. I've got enough close to finish (slow painter here) and I'm waiting to know if I'll be cutting back before I finish the rest. I remember, too painfully, what happened to mortars for the Empire in WHFB, right after I finished painting my third 

Honestly, I think changing Commissars would do it. What if commissars halved Battleshock tests instead of cutting them down to one. I mean, makes sense, right? The more terrifying the situation, the more men have to be gunned down to keep them in line.

This would make them worthless, except for conscripts who have the numbers to absorb it.  I don't like this change at all.  At that point since you'd be losing a bunch of members anyway, I rather use the Commissar points to buy more infantry squads. 

I wouldn't mind some kind of rule like "Undisciplined Rabble:  This unit cannot receive orders and loses D6 models when using the Commissar's Summary Execution rule."

Honestly, I think changing Commissars would do it. What if commissars halved Battleshock tests instead of cutting them down to one. I mean, makes sense, right? The more terrifying the situation, the more men have to be gunned down to keep them in line.

This would make them worthless, except for conscripts who have the numbers to absorb it.  I don't like this change at all.  At that point since you'd be losing a bunch of members anyway, I rather use the Commissar points to buy more infantry squads. 

I wouldn't mind some kind of rule like "Undisciplined Rabble:  This unit cannot receive orders and loses D6 models when using the Commissar's Summary Execution rule."

This change would mean that instead of taking 1 Morale casualty, you'd take at best two. Maybe three or so when facing NL spam or some such thing. If that would make them worthless to you, maybe you should consider not using them now.

I suspect the limit of 0-1, 0-2, or 0-3 conscripts per detachment seems to be a reasonable compromise.

Hopefully not a point increase as WF mentioned earlier that would throw the rest of unit balance out of kilter

I'm Hoping for this, it's more of the middle ground balance as in you can have the cool big squad (and your buying our mini's to make it :rolleyes:) but you wont have too many to cause your opponent to cry cheese,wine etc... Happy balance :biggrin.:

cheers Mithril

p.s. I'm in awe of all you guys with large amounts of painted models, hats off to the lot of you !! 

This change would mean that instead of taking 1 Morale casualty, you'd take at best two. Maybe three or so when facing NL spam or some such thing. If that would make them worthless to you, maybe you should consider not using them now.

Thank you for repeating exactly what I said.  They are on the edge of usefulness now and are included for rule of cool as much as anything.  A notch down and they are gone.

Its no different to last edition though? 
In fact last edition 1 officer, commissar, priest could affect an entire 50 man regular guardsmen squad!
No one complained they were OP then ;)

I don't think its necessarily the size that's the issue, its the number of squads you can take

Before we were limited by having 1 per platoon, which means you had to take a "tax" of 2 squads + platoon squad per conscript blob

Now that's not the case, so its a lot easier to spam

Its kinda like green tide, yeh its intimidating and you probably won't kill them, but there are ways of neutralizing them. 

I think they should limit the size of a conscript squad. Having 1 order affect 50 models is a little excessive.

Part of me wonders if there is a problem in the game mechanics in general with units over x models. Maybe GW needs a Chapter Approved ruling limiting max unit size for everything.