Killteam Cassius. Worth purchasing?

Adeptus

So I'm looking at starting a small Deathwatch force, and I've noticed that theVanguard, Terminators and Bikers are just the generic SM kits with a DW upgrade frame thrown in, but the models in Kill Team Cassius seem more individual. I've already got the 'Start Collecting' box and was wondering if the Cassius box would be a good next purchase?

I do plan on eventually getting a squad each of the Terminators, Vanguard vets and Bikers, so I'm not sure if the extra models in Cassius would be worthwhile, since I would wind up with an odd number of models and I'm not sure if the ones from Cassius would blend in with the 'generic' ones from the SM range?

I suppose I could just use them as Sergeants of their respective squads.

Thoughts?

Kill Team Cassius is the repack from Overkill of DW characters from the board game. 

At the end of 7th, most of the characters had individual stats and there were several specialized kill teams you could make using some if not all the characters. Alas, that is no more.

Right now, you effectively get the following:

Chaplain (Bolt Pistol)
Librarian (Force Sword, Bolt Pistol)
Frag Cannon
Terminator (with a hugely expensive upgrade and Heavy Flamer)
Biker (Power Sword)
2x Vanguard Vets (Hand Flamer, Lightning claws)
Vet w/ Plasma Pistol
Vet w/ Combi melta
Vet w/ Bolter
Vet w/ Bolt Pistol

Everyone is nicely detailed, so they are awesome to look at. So its a toss up on value if you need certain types of models vs. load outs since this box is like $5 less than 2x Kill Team Boxes. 

I think it's worth getting as the models are all really good, though it'd be better if you found a genestealer player to split Deathwatch Overkill with. It's definitely not very flexible, and the models will stick out if you're going all Mk8.

Will they stick out compared to the models in the "start collecting" box?

I think it's worth getting as the models are all really good, though it'd be better if you found a genestealer player to split Deathwatch Overkill with. It's definitely not very flexible, and the models will stick out if you're going all Mk8.

Will they stick out compared to the models in the "start collecting" box?

Yes, they're all a bit short in comparison.

No, deathwatch aren't much taller.  You will notice it, but it is not as stark a difference as the primaris to normal marine.  They also have the same build as normal marines, they are not wider and thicker legged like the primaris.

Also, the kill team cassius models are absoloutely superb looking, nicely detailed.

No, deathwatch aren't much taller.  You will notice it, but it is not as stark a difference as the primaris to normal marine.  They also have the same build as normal marines, they are not wider and thicker legged like the primaris.

Also, the kill team cassius models are absoloutely superb looking, nicely detailed.

Well, I know people that are barely 5' tall and some that are 7' tall, so I think a little variance in height is OK. I think you've sold me, Killteam Cassius is now on my shopping list!

It is really easy to modify many of the equipment options as well. I changes the dark angel to puta a bolter in place of the plasma pistol and a pointing hand in place of the sword, and it's super easy to replace the hand flamers on the one vanguard guy, so some of their equipment can be fixed.

Kill Team Cassius is the repack from Overkill of DW characters from the board game. 

At the end of 7th, most of the characters had individual stats and there were several specialized kill teams you could make using some if not all the characters. Alas, that is no more.

Right now, you effectively get the following:

Chaplain (Bolt Pistol)

Librarian (Force Sword, Bolt Pistol)

Frag Cannon

Terminator (with a hugely expensive upgrade and Heavy Flamer)

Biker (Power Sword)

2x Vanguard Vets (Hand Flamer, Lightning claws)

Vet w/ Plasma Pistol

Vet w/ Combi melta

Vet w/ Bolter

Vet w/ Bolt Pistol

Everyone is nicely detailed, so they are awesome to look at. So its a toss up on value if you need certain types of models vs. load outs since this box is like $5 less than 2x Kill Team Boxes. 

I find most of them usable to be honest. You have:

- a fairly generic Chaplain and Librarian you can substitute in

- an additional frag cannon (which only get one per kill team box anyway... the more the merrier :) )

- a generic biker

- the vanguard with lightning claws makes a pretty good Sgt in a vanguard unit (3A + 1 for dual claws, and re-rolls)

* I actually use combi-meltas in my list so the combi-melta guy worked out for me

* Same for the generic bolter guy

Just remember now that they've pretty much taken away our single unit stuff in the last Erreta, so my opinion is if you can fit most stuff in your current setup, you're good to go. Having some extras would just mean you can have flexibility in points/power level.

It's a box set with solid details, a nice mix of characters and the scaling is reasonable for the time in which it was produced.  Since many of them are on "scenic" bases or in heroic poses (no static in that box), it would be easy to build them up a bit to increase their presence.

Just remember now that they've pretty much taken away our single unit stuff in the last Erreta, so my opinion is if you can fit most stuff in your current setup, you're good to go. Having some extras would just mean you can have flexibility in points/power level.

What do you mean 'single unit stuff'? What was in the last errata?

It's a box set with solid details, a nice mix of characters and the scaling is reasonable for the time in which it was produced.  Since many of them are on "scenic" bases or in heroic poses (no static in that box), it would be easy to build them up a bit to increase their presence.

I'm so glad you said that! I just bought some fancy bases I can use with my kill team cassius!

What do you mean 'single unit stuff'? What was in the last errata?

The FAQ/Erreta changed Vanguards and Termies from 1-5 to 5-10

The FAQ/Erreta changed Vanguards and Termies from 1-5 to 5-10

http://s2.quickmeme.com/img/cc/ccdb9c1bdc8c745ae389fd40950de56c0da8fd353a66724250f3e5b8e6ac9207.jpg