Do Deathwatch vets keep their shoulder pads?

Aothaine

When a space marine fulfills his duty to Deathwatch and returns to his chapter does he keep the Deathwatch shoulder pad? What about the weapons he was using during the tour? Obviously if it is not in the dex it would be illegal rules wise. But if it wasn't illegal rules wise could he still have some of the gear he used when he was in the Deathwatch?

The shoulder pad typically swaps shoulders once he returns to his parents chapter so that his Chapter badge is on his left again. I believe that the Deathwatch's armoury is their own, and wouldn't be handing inventory out willy nilly, but I'm sure exceptions have been made.

Cheers,

Jono

They used to keep DW pad, though moved to right arm (both captain set and command squad have one) to make chapter badge left again, but it's old fluff. Sadly, Kelly and Cruddace didn't bothered to address that, so the answer is probably 'it depends'.

As for special ammo, that was literally explanation behind Sternguard gear in 5th edition - returning DW veterans liked it and brought back blueprints with them. With new Sternguard not having SIA anymore, it's possible that changed too - we won't know until Codex SM says anything, because again K & C didn't bother to write any new fluff...

I think most of the split between Sternguard Special Issue Boltguns and Death Veterans Special Issue Ammunition was done to differentiate between the two armies better and give some actual character to DW, though the background will need to be emphasized accordingly to explain the differences in-universe.

I'm hoping Deathwatch get Veteran Deathwatch Veterans, with both options. :tongue.:

And then hopefully you will be able to upgrade the sergeant to a veteran sergeant, so you have a veteran veteran veteran sergeant... :tongue.:

It's like, how much more veteran could this guy be . . . and the answer is none.  None more veteran.

I'm hoping Deathwatch get Veteran Deathwatch Veterans, with both options. :tongue.:

And then hopefully you will be able to upgrade the sergeant to a veteran sergeant, so you have a veteran veteran veteran sergeant... :tongue.:

It's like, how much more veteran could this guy be . . . and the answer is none.  None more veteran.

Oustanding reference.

Huh. In all the photos I've seen of ex-DW Marines back in their parent Chapter, they've kept the DW pauldron on the left-hand side. Certainly my ex-DW Black Templar still has his on the left (and his arm is painted silver too). What returns to normal is that the rest of their armour is painted in Chapter colours.

This is old background stuff though, because originally the Deathwatch didn't have their own armour suits; it was just a case of "Ah, welcome Brother, here's some black paint, a fancy new shoulder pad, and a funky boltgun!"

Huh. In all the photos I've seen of ex-DW Marines back in their parent Chapter, they've kept the DW pauldron on the left-hand side.

That would be weird seeing DW pads are asymmetrical and the old post service one from captain/vets box clearly differs from left in-DW one:

http://mrocznyraj.pl/sklep/images/produkty/DM-DUF01.jpg

http://mrocznyraj.pl/sklep/images/produkty/sm-c1.jpg

As for armour, they still don't have their own, it's just Mk 8, they simply have more of them than normal chapter...

*shrug*

Just sayin' what I remember. Always seen the ex-DW pads remaining on the left-hand-side.

Those Deathwatch mk 9 suits are definitely not brought along by the Marines chosen to go and do a tour with the Deathwatch; most Marines wear Mk 7 generally in the 41st Millenium.

(Mk 8 is different to the Deathwatch armour suits - it shares the raised gorget, but the helms are different, the leg pieces are different, the backpacks are different... it also explains why the Primaris wear Mk 10, too!)

This brings up a fluff question I've been ruminating over for a while - obviously we can assume that Joe Schmo tac marine from X chapter is not coming to the Deathwatch in a suit of MK 8 armor covered in inquisitorial markings...what happens to his old armor?  Does it just go into storage, sans one shoulderpad?

Power armour is rare enough that some Chapters resort to stealing them to supply themselves.

I would say they just take it back and have it used for the next person. When a SM dies, there will be times when their armour gets pretty messed up, so spares never hurt either.

The Deathwatch suits are also Mk8, just a slightly different pattern than the old tac squad version.. There is no Mk9 that we know of.

I thought Mk9 was what the Grey Knights used.

This brings up a fluff question I've been ruminating over for a while - obviously we can assume that Joe Schmo tac marine from X chapter is not coming to the Deathwatch in a suit of MK 8 armor covered in inquisitorial markings...what happens to his old armor?  Does it just go into storage, sans one shoulderpad?

They don't have to wear mk. VIII armour when they get to the Deathwatch, it's an option from the Watch's armoury, nothing more (unless there's been some fluff change I missed so GW can sell more of the DW Vets kit). If he wants he can keep using his existing armour (if you're from a chapter with some mk IV you're already wearing something better) while in service, if not, then his own armour would indeed be stored until it's time for him to go back from whence he came (should he be lucky enough to survive that long).

The Deathwatch suits are also Mk8, just a slightly different pattern than the old tac squad version.. There is no Mk9 that we know of.

Narp. GK are atypical, though. Legs are generally Mk. 6. Torsos are Mk. 7 with a gorget (a la the ones from the Black Templar upgrade sprue)  and psychic hood while the heads are crusader helms essentially, which don't really have a particular mark afaik.

Actually that's just slightly modified Mk 6, with cabling hidden under plate (but otherwise nearly identical to new plastic Mk 6s) and helmet shortened a bit in front to make way for the gorget. Remember, they had it way back in M30.

some mk IV you're already wearing something better

Actually I think Mk 8 is better now, especially after recent retcons to Mk 4 (particularly ones making it very fragile). Even Cawl only took helmet from Mk 4 for his Mark X project, rest is Mk 8...

Huh. I need to pay more attention. I stand corrected on the armour mark fronts. Or just create my own headcanon. :P

But I stand by my thing on the whole 'pads on the left' front.

...bet I get proved wrong on that too grumble grumble grumble.

Huh. I need to pay more attention. I stand corrected on the armour mark fronts. Or just create my own headcanon. :tongue.:

Nah, that's how I always remember old depictions of returned Deathwatch vets too.

Huh. I need to pay more attention. I stand corrected on the armour mark fronts. Or just create my own headcanon. :tongue.:

Nah, that's how I always remember old depictions of returned Deathwatch vets too.

I am not alone!!