Keeping an eye on the Ghoul Stars [squad complete 19/7]

Omegius

I got myself a copy of Dark Imperium today, and spent all evening assembling the Primaris half to use as the basis for a Death Spectres force. I've ordered transfers, and managed to get them all primed as well. I'd originally intended to do Omega Marines, but it turns out that the (two thousand words of) fluff I wrote for them was practically identical to the Spectres'. Once I discovered my inadvertent plagiarism, I breathed a sigh of relief (I was dreading a two-tone scheme), and set about doing some Death Spectres. I'd like to think all sorts of creepy things will loom out of the Ghoul Stars now that the galaxy is split in two...

I don't have any pics yet (I'm sure a bunch of grey-primed marines aren't all that exciting anyway), but tomorrow I'll lay down the black base coat, and try to complete at least one test mini.

Edited by Omegius

Okie dokie, here's my first test marine. It was an interesting experience- NATO Black is incredibly matte, I'm not sure if that really shows in the photo. It's also basically a charcoal grey, so I thought I could get away with dry brushing and washes... not so. So this is my first ever attempt at edge highlighting- I think it went ok. The white shoulder pad is glossy in anticipation of transfers, which are currently making their way to me, but will probably take at least another week.

C&C very much appreciated!

http://i.imgur.com/w9AkHWg.jpg

Edited by Omegius

The face looks great :thumbsup:

Two things i would suggest: 

- add some honour markings or crusade signs and/or battle damage to the armour to break up the big black surface (e.g. on the knee pad)

- use another lamp/light source for taking pictures. The black swallows a lot of light, which makes the details seem a little bit dull on the pic. (imho)

Thanks mate! Great idea with the campaign badges. I'll see what I can fit on that knee pad from the transfers that came in the box. I see what you mean about the lighting, too. I'm using a cheap light box from ebay, I'll try pointing some light in from directly in front next time. The matteness of the black really defies all photography though!

Looks great ^^

how did you the white helmet?

Regarding the campaign badges: if there is nothing on the transfer sheet, here is some inspiration 
http://www.bolterandchainsword.com/topic/224240-stoneburners-chapter-champion-dueling-master-wip-model/page-5?do=findComment&comment=3012802

and another one:

"Space Marines often find themselves going into battle alongside other Imperial forces. The massed ranks of the Imperial Guard form the major portion of any allied contingent of Imperial forces and include huge tank divisions as well as enormous numbers of foot soldiers. When an army of the Imperium goes to war it is standard practice for the Imperial Commander or general to choose a symbol to act as a campaign badge in accordance with the regulations set down in the Codex Astartes. This "field sign" is known as the Army Badge and serves to identify all the troops and equipment that are operating under a single command for a single campaign and helps with recognition of friendly units on the field of battle. The Army Badge is painted on Space Marine Power Armour and Imperial Guard vehicles alike. Each time a Space Marine applies the badge the recipient receives a blessing from the company Chaplain or from an attached member of the Imperial Ecclesiarchy if serving alongside one of the other Imperial armed forces. The Army Badge is deliberately designed to be quite straightforward and is an instantly recognisable symbol that functions as a battlefield identification. Space Marines generally apply the Army Badge to their right leg greave. The Army Badge is generally used for the duration of a single campaign and is removed or replaced at the successful conclusion of the campaign. If a squad, regiment or indeed an individual warrior has performed exceptionally in the campaign, the Army Badge may be incorporated onto their armour, uniform or heraldry as a permanent honour. This is particularly true of banners and standards and many of the lavish designs seen on Chapter, company and individual Astartes banners are, in part, derived from the Army Badges of previous campaigns."
(from: 
http://warhammer40k.wikia.com/wiki/Honour_Badges_%28Space_Marines%29 (includes some pics  :wink:  ) )

I decided that I'd better discuss my plans for this army- with a Few scattered thoughts on fluff, too. I've got the Dark Imperium box, so the core of the force is coming from that, but I think I'll also add a unit of Reivers, a Librarian, and maybe a dread (though I prefer the Contemptor aesthetically to the new one).

So far, my thoughts on the fluff of the chapter are that the 'fate'/time obsession of the Spectres throws up some really interesting storytelling possibilities. At the moment, I'm thinking that this strike force might be accompanied by an Inquisitor of the Ordo Chronos? And that they launch raids on xenos worlds in the Ghoul Stars to recover/destroy potentially time-altering technology?

Anyhow, here's my first squad almost done! Just got to add some tufts and transfers at this stage, but I'm waiting for my chapter symbols to turn up so I can do all the transfers at once. And I also need to drill the barrels... C&C always appreciated :)

http://i.imgur.com/fSA4MZ0.jpg

Edited by Omegius

Looks great ^^

how did you the white helmet?

Hey mate,

It was super-easy. Airbrush with a 50/50 mix of vallejo white and bone white airbrush primers, then gave it a wash of gryphonne sepia, then highlights of pallid wych flesh. 

I've got a couple of ideas for campaign badges- but I might just put the squad number on the right knee instead. 

Do you (or anybody else) have any suggestions for a colour to use when sponge weathering on black? Just the same grey that I highlight with?

Edited by Omegius

regarding weathering: try to drybrush the ground and don't care for the boots/ankles of the Primaris... then it will look like they already marched a bit 

If you want to create a chipped paint effect, I would say go with the same grey or something little bit darker.

Alrighty, transfers arrived today, ridiculously fast I should add. Great service from chapter customiser.

They've been applied, so apart from a matte varnish my first unit is done! I learned a couple of lessons today though: 1) never ever try to place a transfer on a primaris kneecap- my future campaign badges will go on a greave or something; and 2) relief cuts are essential when applying almost any transfer.

Anyhow, without further ado:

http://i.imgur.com/DUlkGHH.jpg

http://i.imgur.com/N6XHVMm.jpg

At the moment, just a few head and weapon swaps planned- i've never really done conversions, so that's about the limit of my skills!

I'm going to be emphasising the theme of the reaper, as a bit of a hint.