Chances and thoughts on Deathwatch codex in 8th?

Nurgleprobe

So had a chat with Simon Grant at open day. Not much to say except that the DW codex has been fully written already, so we just need to wait in release queue. But Simon reacted extremely positive about our codex. Maybe we'll get 1 or 3 new kits like the custodes? Hopefully!

do tell us more! :D 

So had a chat with Simon Grant at open day. Not much to say except that the DW codex has been fully written already, so we just need to wait in release queue. But Simon reacted extremely positive about our codex. Maybe we'll get 1 or 3 new kits like the custodes? Hopefully!

do tell us more! :biggrin.:

He couldn't say much about the details :( He only got to work one week on the codex, before they put him on a different project. But from what he has seen, he tells us he was quite impressed. He did mention that they wanted to transition the kill teams of old to 8th, but due to the removal of formations it made the job bit harder. But I guess we should expect maybe the return of our various composed kill teams in our codex, seeing how the writers view those as iconic to us. I also expressed my concern with the ammunition tax on our vets and the illogic behind it (why would we need to pay the tax, when the guy is not equipped with a boltgun etc.). They taken the feedback positively, but feedback given at this point won't have any influence any more on the already finished written codex I'm afraid.

It will be very intersting seeing how it stacks versus other codexes.

How did the Codex in 7th edition compare to others? I didnt play DW back then

What benefits did specific formations give ? 

Edited by Thanatos31

From 7th edition, C: DW was mostly overpriced units and a lack of synergy.  Kill Teams (ie. mixed units) were needlessly complex and contradicted their own rules on many occasions, and our few strong points (Frag Cannons, SIA) were not enough to overcome the severe lack of wounds.  Formations were generally either Kill Team specific (awarding bonuses for targeting certain unit roles) or corner-case oddities (x3 Corvus Blackstars, etc.).  Overall, the DW codex was a bit of a missed opportunity with somewhat bland rules and confusing unit omissions (DW couldn't take other Terminator marks, Apothecaries, Techmarines, etc.).

From 7th edition, C: DW was mostly overpriced units and a lack of synergy.  Kill Teams (ie. mixed units) were needlessly complex and contradicted their own rules on many occasions, and our few strong points (Frag Cannons, SIA) were not enough to overcome the severe lack of wounds.  Formations were generally either Kill Team specific (awarding bonuses for targeting certain unit roles) or corner-case oddities (x3 Corvus Blackstars, etc.).  Overall, the DW codex was a bit of a missed opportunity with somewhat bland rules and confusing unit omissions (DW couldn't take other Terminator marks, Apothecaries, Techmarines, etc.).

They also left out cool things from the fluff - Kill-Marines are awesome, for example, and could have been similar to Lone Wolves like Space Wolves have. There's also no reason for the lack of vehicles.

Honestly, if this is true, then the fact they have the codex done already and are just holding on to it doesn't bode well. It feels like they don't actually care about community input, and are making this a staggered release for no reason other than to make people wait. I understand this increases sales, but damn.

We are going to wait until May or June just because? After the abundance of Imperium releases, the chances of a Deathwatch release in Mar and Apr are dwindling.

Honestly, if this is true, then the fact they have the codex done already and are just holding on to it doesn't bode well. It feels like they don't actually care about community input, and are making this a staggered release for no reason other than to make people wait. I understand this increases sales, but damn.

We are going to wait until May or June just because? After the abundance of Imperium releases, the chances of a Deathwatch release in Mar and Apr are dwindling.

I think its good that the work is done and there was an actual codex written. I also dont think it's a bad sign that there is a release schedule that they are sticking to - print&production times, logistics etc take time, so it needs to be done half a year before release ( probably a bit shorter).

Also, we have to admit, there's other armies that have been around longer and have more players, and there's metrics we dont have any insight about when it comes to sales and opportunities GW sees as a business.

So does anyone have any hopes that we will get any new units or miniatures with the release of our codex?

Looking at the currently released codices then IMHO we wont get anything "new". Besides Death Guard and Primaris have any of the other armies, with new codices, got any new miniatures/units?

I would love to see us getting more vehicles, some DW land speeders would be cool. Techmarines and apotecharies would be great aswell and would make sense fluffwise. Also Kill-marines and DW Keepers.

I assume what we will get is a Primaris DW upgrade sprue and thats it.

So the latest article on the custodes shows us how elite armies function. Wonder if the elite DW would get 2+ BS on all our units and obsec on everything? Though then again might be too much, and we ain't as elite as the custodes, though 2+ BS could be feasible? Would set us more apart from the common marine.

I honestly believe there might be a nerf for SIA to a degree rather than an expansion. Also , the rule writers are looking at lore, and there its single bolts these guys are loading in.

I think a few more vanilla units and a codex along the lines of the GreyKnights codex will happen. (extra damage against xenos; stratagems that give HB or SB SIA; extra deepstrike stratagems etc) 

With the next 3 codices revealed, that rumoured release schedule seems fairly legit now (although order was wrong). Maybe we were just forgotten and we'll be sneaked in somewhere before, or our release is in July or later.

Well, I'm glad I decided to start BA and expand on Custodes in the meantime. I'll put my boys to rest for now as I build on the others.

Edited by Moostick

I think the most you are going to see in terms of new models for a new dex would be a primaris character along the lines of what you saw for DW & BA - a Lt. if we get them, otherwise maybe a Watch Captain or something.

What do you think the odds are we'll see more integration of Primaris marines beyond just adding full units, I.E. a primaris kill team made up of Intercessors, Hellblasters, Reivers or Aggressors?  Or maybe even integrate those new marines into the old KT structure?

I think the most you are going to see in terms of new models for a new dex would be a primaris character along the lines of what you saw for DW & BA - a Lt. if we get them, otherwise maybe a Watch Captain or something.

What do you think the odds are we'll see more integration of Primaris marines beyond just adding full units, I.E. a primaris kill team made up of Intercessors, Hellblasters, Reivers or Aggressors?  Or maybe even integrate those new marines into the old KT structure?

I would be quite happy with just a Lieutenant, re-roll to wound bubble is always welcome!

What do you think the odds are we'll see more integration of Primaris marines beyond just adding full units, I.E. a primaris kill team made up of Intercessors, Hellblasters, Reivers or Aggressors? Or maybe even integrate those new marines into the old KT structure?

I would be quite happy with just a Lieutenant, re-roll to wound bubble is always welcome!

I expect that to be baked into the kill team.

Would be interesting to see the Deathwatch to be the next codex after the release of 3 Xenos ones. Deathwatch to the rescue against the xenos threat, add the Orks in the same month with the DW, lots of people happy! The rumous is still that the space wolves will be the last to get an updated codex, and I think they will have a big chance at lot of new models/revamp. Lot of their products gone Direct Order only or been completely removed (long fangs etc.).

Any way I don't think we have to worry about waiting that much longer for our codex, we're still releasing 2 codexes a month, maybe 3 in march if all those announced xenos ones will be in 1 month.