How are you arming Characters in 8th?

jaxom

Yeah it's a problem I ran into. I do a lot of counts-as stuff, but I feel it would be a bit too cheeky to try and pretend my army are Catachan or Cadian explicitly. This means I can't really use the special characters as they wouldn't be fighting with my force.

Plasma pistols generally for any Sarge or Commander going frontline. Don't bother with melee,  I'd rather just field more shooting bodies  

Debating around using boltguns for further back Sarges - for the price of Scion, I effectively get an entire squad of extra shooting my army. Shame it doesn't benefit from FRFSRF 

I feel most people would let the regiment thing go sir you had an awesome conversion. I know if some one had an old school guard army the had a cool strachen and harker i would have no problem them using catachan as a key word. As long as in the same army pask rolls up in his cadian tank. That would start to smell gamey.

Nothing states your army has to be the same regiment as what its model is. Just like how you had white scars and ultramarines of confusing colours.

You could say yes they are Praetorian models, however they've been assigned to a Catachan / Cadian regiment and have been trained to use their tactics. They only time that could cause confusion is when youre using multiple regiments with the same model and colour scheme. In which case you'd probably want to do their bases differently.

Im gonna have Cadian models running with my Mordians but they'll be considered Mordians for the most part.

Its a shame meltabombs aren't an option for sgts or officers. Kind of hard to fight enemy vehicles and MCs with str 6 fists or str 3 swords. I get breacher charges with my vet squads and I think troop squads(I don't use them there even if it is an option) which frikkin rock except for the one time use and 20 point each thing, but aside from that we are kind of hosed vs any kind of high toughness opponent.

Its a shame meltabombs aren't an option for sgts or officers. Kind of hard to fight enemy vehicles and MCs with str 6 fists or str 3 swords. I get breacher charges with my vet squads and I think troop squads(I don't use them there even if it is an option) which frikkin rock except for the one time use and 20 point each thing, but aside from that we are kind of hosed vs any kind of high toughness opponent.

That is the one thing I'm really missing from IG. At least Elysians get Krak grenades with the wicked order to let you throw them all

Hmm didn't even think about that. Will have to remember that next time as that would have been ideal since I had a melta-vet squad and my warlord point blank against a Storm Surge last game and we ended up charging it just to force him to move the next turn. Det charge was awesome though.

I don't know anyone who has a problem with using whatever Regiment or Chapter rules they like with whatever models they want as long as there is consistency.  For example, my "Iron Hand Straken" isn't named Straken, he is "Iron Hand Strohiem" and does not look like a Catachan at all.  His uniform does however match the other models in my army which are <Catachan> for the sake of rules, but Juncattan Panzer-grenadiers for the sake of fluff.  Since my army is all converted I feel quite comfortable using them with whatever rules I want simply changing the names for the sake of fluff.  This is a very common practice as far as I am aware and I don't think anyone would be bothered by it, though if it is a personal preference not to do such a thing I understand that. 

He still would not be DKoK, and to play him as such would be bending the rules to your advantage, since he would then benefit from the regimental standard and quartermasters. Unlike regular DKoK commissars, he would still be Officio Prefectus.

I don't know anyone who has a problem with using whatever Regiment or Chapter rules they like with whatever models they want as long as there is consistency. For example, my "Iron Hand Straken" isn't named Straken, he is "Iron Hand Strohiem" and does not look like a Catachan at all. His uniform does however match the other models in my army which are <Catachan> for the sake of rules, but Juncattan Panzer-grenadiers for the sake of fluff. Since my army is all converted I feel quite comfortable using them with whatever rules I want simply changing the names for the sake of fluff. This is a very common practice as far as I am aware and I don't think anyone would be bothered by it, though if it is a personal preference not to do such a thing I understand that.

I don't think you will find too much opposition, except for occasional rules sticklers that point to GW's apparent new approach to counts as. If an Imperial Fist successor can't use their relics or use a counts-as equivalent of their character, some would argue you need Catachans to play Catachans.

I personally don't really care, and the rules don't really reflect what Catachans are all about anyway, but it's silly to say another regiment just "learned their tactics". You can't learn the tactics of quasi abhuman baby ogryns who since practically birth fight for daily survival in a jungle that makes Jumanji look as dangerous as your local McDonalds jungle gym.

Edited by Withershadow

I've considered throwing power axes on all my sgts. and throwing in a ministorum priest or two and maybe Iron Hand Straken, and insread of retreating squads actually keeping them in hand to hand and using fix bayonets orders. I'm not sure how well this will work, but I don't use conscripts at all.

I've considered throwing power axes on all my sgts. and throwing in a ministorum priest or two and maybe Iron Hand Straken, and insread of retreating squads actually keeping them in hand to hand and using fix bayonets orders. I'm not sure how well this will work, but I don't use conscripts at all.

I think Krieg are a better melee army than Catachans if you're not just spamming conscripts.  They hit on 3+, have more melee-oriented orders, and have Quartermasters for a 6+ FNP.

I think it's a good sign that our Special Characters are now Regiment Specific, like Space Marine Special Characters. What else do Space Marines have? Chapter Tactics! And what do we desperately want back? Regimental Tactics! Huzzah!

Having said that, No Mordian / Valhallan / Tallarn special characters means no Mordian / Valhallan / Tallarn specific tactics? That's probably the case as well :(

I'm still hoping for a separate upgrade sprue for updated Mordians, Valhallans, and Steel Legion (bring them more in line with modern - like the pic of Praetorian Guard in flak armor). Great coat legs, fancy dress torsos, so many heads.