Blood Brother Space Marines

So this is a home brew space marine Chapter I've worked on here and for the last several years. I'm returning to it with the release of 8th edition and my getting a hold of the Dark Imperium set. So all of the following information should be considered "tentative" and really none of it is set in stone, but here it is.

med_gallery_18358_13514_94606.png

med_gallery_18358_13514_53506.png

The original concept for the Blood Brothers was essentially a loyalist World Eater chapter. Later on I settled on the idea of using the Space Wolves codex to represent this chapter and that actually fueled further development of the idea. The Blood Brothers are a blunt chapter in action but if you look beneath the surface you would see they are extremely focused on control and restraint but they do not preach adherence to rules. Much like how a bullet works because of taking a very violent reaction, the detonation of a chemical agent resulting in a massive change in pressure to propel an object in a given direction, so do the Blood Brother direct their rage and anger at the enemy. Once engaged in battle the Blood Brothers are viscous and deadly, appearing to be savage and blood thirsty utterly headless of their own safety or anything resembling a tactical doctrine or combat tactics. The reality is a difference whose meaning belies the simple and brutal appearance the Brothers present to the outside world.

They reject the Codex Astartes feeling it is dangerously limiting it it's scope and presents a weakness that can be exploited by traitor astartes. They also find the notion of adherence to the Codex, or indeed blind adherence to any doctrine or concept, to be insulting as such mind sets stifle individual adaptability and creativity. Both are traits that the Blood Brother highly value.

med_gallery_18358_13514_484698.png

med_gallery_18358_13514_58336.png

Strength, from the strong.

The Blood Brothers have a strong belief in the strong leading, but also in the strong sharing their strength and thus strengthening the group more than its

Edited by maverike_prime

Well now, this looks to be quite the endeavour, brother.

Rather than review the entire article, I'll address some early points and we can work from there. I've noticed in the past that dropping a whole catalogue of critique upon a Frater can tend to take the wind out of their sails and the project stalls. So, we'll start slow. I have read only oh so far, so if a point is addressed later, I apologise. 

They reject the Codex Astartes feeling it is dangerously limiting it it's scope and presents a weakness that can be exploited by traitor astartes. They also find the notion of adherence to the Codex, or indeed blind adherence to any doctrine or concept, to be insulting as such mind sets stifle individual adaptability and creativity. Both are traits that the Blood Brother highly value.

First up, the rejection of the codex. I don't have a problem with Chapters rejecting some or all of the codex. It's something that's existed for a long time in canon. But, as with all DIY's, the how's and why's are important. How did the Chapter get to the point where the Codex was not just irrelevant to them, but the epitome of staid thinking? Did they begin as a codex Chapter? If so, what caused them to stray? If not, why not? (If we are indeed venturing into Space Wolf successor territory, then this is a whole can of worms than needs to be explored carefully.)

The Blood Brothers have a strong belief in the strong leading, but also in the strong sharing their strength and thus strengthening the group more than its’ members could ever be alone. And it is from the blood of the strong that they draw their greatest reverence from. To a Blood Brother, all of a warrior’s strength is held in his blood. The Strength to fight, the strength to learn, the strength to heal and the strength to win. It is from this belief in blood that the Blood Brothers take their name.

I appreciate what you're trying to say, brother, but by the Emperor's Armpits you've used 'strength' and 'strong' a lot here! I'd suggest rewriting this paragraph, preferably by ditching every instance of the words except the initial ones. The repetition is a little jarring, I'm afraid. 

But more than simply the smearing of blood, the Brother have discovered something else though they are themselves unaware of it. It is in fact a virus carried in their blood. In its normal form, it’s benign and utterly harmless, a holdover from some previous plague perhaps. But once it has passed through the enhanced filtering systems of a full matured Astartes it changes, becoming no longer harmless, but in fact beneficial. When introduced onto the body of a developing initiate it has the effect of granting the initiate a temporary stamina boost and enhanced healing abilities. Though the abilities are nothing compared to those of a fully matured Astartes, they are considerable all the same and allow young initiates to fight at a level approaching their fully blooded brothers. The initiates are prepared for battle by ritualistically drawing a portion of blood from their training mentors and painting an oath rune upon their faces with the blood. Known as the “Blood Fire”, this virus has served the Brother well throughout their history.

This sounds somewhat like a 'having your cake and eating it' moment. The Chapter is affected by a virus that their own genhanced physiques and apothecarion haven't (or can't) eradicate. But, thankfully, the virus is benign. What is even better, in an astartes physiology it is actively beneficial. To me, this concept doesn't work. There are no flaws, and besides the fact that it is purely there to give your Chapter a benefit, it has no narrative use. This effect given by the virus can easily be explained alternatively by a cocktail of combat drugs, without the disadvantage of giving them something (I find) implausible. To whit, "Blood Fire" would be an excellent name for such a cocktail.

That is it for now. I will continue any critique I may have at a later point. Hope this helps.

Rather than review the entire article, I'll address some early points and we can work from there. I've noticed in the past that dropping a whole catalogue of critique upon a Frater can tend to take the wind out of their sails and the project stalls. So, we'll start slow. I have read only oh so far, so if a point is addressed later, I apologise.

First up, the rejection of the codex. I don't have a problem with Chapters rejecting some or all of the codex. It's something that's existed for a long time in canon. But, as with all DIY's, the how's and why's are important. How did the Chapter get to the point where the Codex was not just irrelevant to them, but the epitome of staid thinking? Did they begin as a codex Chapter? If so, what caused them to stray? If not, why not? (If we are indeed venturing into Space Wolf successor territory, then this is a whole can of worms than needs to be explored carefully.)

Okay... so what is unclear about it? the Brothers view the codex as something insulting and stifling to their own views when it comes to war fare and survival so they reject it and use their own approach. They take the idea of adherence to 'rules' as being a sign of incomptetence and a lack of imagination. Since those are both qualities that the Blood Brothers do not wish to be associated with, they tend to reject most concepts that can be summed up as "Because it says so." Who said anything about the Blood Brothers being a Space Wolf Successor? Actually I just saw that I did indeed neglect to include this tidbit. Genetically, the Gene stock of the Blood Brothers comes from the Imperial Fists. The Blood Brothers have no interest in being recognized for the association with a Primarch, and frankly kind of suck at record keeping anyway. So they've forgotten what Primarch they are descended from and don't actually care enough to find out. The Imperial Fists by comparison dislike the Brothers because of their dismissal of ordered battle drills and discipline. So the Blood Brothers don't care that their linieage is from Dorn while the Imperial fists dislike associating with them. Makes the family reunions entertaining.

The Blood Brothers have a strong belief in the strong leading, but also in the strong sharing their strength and thus strengthening the group more than its’ members could ever be alone. And it is from the blood of the strong that they draw their greatest reverence from. To a Blood Brother, all of a warrior’s strength is held in his blood. The Strength to fight, the strength to learn, the strength to heal and the strength to win. It is from this belief in blood that the Blood Brothers take their name.

I appreciate what you're trying to say, brother, but by the Emperor's Armpits you've used 'strength' and 'strong' a lot here! I'd suggest rewriting this paragraph, preferably by ditching every instance of the words except the initial ones. The repetition is a little jarring, I'm afraid.

Yeah that tends to happen when I'm writing at 4 in the morning. Like I said this is all rough ideas and concepts. Comparatively little of it has been proof read or edited so a lack of linguistic variety is probably going to happen a fair bit for a while.

But more than simply the smearing of blood, the Brother have discovered something else though they are themselves unaware of it. It is in fact a virus carried in their blood. In its normal form, it’s benign and utterly harmless, a holdover from some previous plague perhaps. But once it has passed through the enhanced filtering systems of a full matured Astartes it changes, becoming no longer harmless, but in fact beneficial. When introduced onto the body of a developing initiate it has the effect of granting the initiate a temporary stamina boost and enhanced healing abilities. Though the abilities are nothing compared to those of a fully matured Astartes, they are considerable all the same and allow young initiates to fight at a level approaching their fully blooded brothers. The initiates are prepared for battle by ritualistically drawing a portion of blood from their training mentors and painting an oath rune upon their faces with the blood. Known as the “Blood Fire”, this virus has served the Brother well throughout their history.

This sounds somewhat like a 'having your cake and eating it' moment. The Chapter is affected by a virus that their own genhanced physiques and apothecarion haven't (or can't) eradicate. But, thankfully, the virus is benign. What is even better, in an astartes physiology it is actively beneficial. To me, this concept doesn't work. There are no flaws, and besides the fact that it is purely there to give your Chapter a benefit, it has no narrative use. This effect given by the virus can easily be explained alternatively by a cocktail of combat drugs, without the disadvantage of giving them something (I find) implausible. To whit, "Blood Fire" would be an excellent name for such a cocktail.

This was something I originally came up with to explain the difference between Space Marine Scouts and Blood Claws back in 5th edition, since I was using the Space Wolf Codex to represent the army. Since the Unblooded weren't scouts, using Wolf Scouts didn't fit but the Blood Claws were pretty close in terms of abilities to Grey Hunters. It can just as easily be a combination of blood and... oh the name escapes me just now. Scottish solders used it, it's a blue paint they paint on their faces and as they sweet they're pores open and they absorb something from it that basically gives them a battle high. Whatever the stuff is called. It can be a Cruor version of that combined with blood.

That is it for now. I will continue any critique I may have at a later point. Hope this helps.

Feedback is always welcome.

Okay... so what is unclear about it? the Brothers view the codex as something insulting and stifling to their own views when it comes to war fare and survival so they reject it and use their own approach. They take the idea of adherence to 'rules' as being a sign of incomptetence and a lack of imagination. Since those are both qualities that the Blood Brothers do not wish to be associated with, they tend to reject most concepts that can be summed up as "Because it says so." Who said anything about the Blood Brothers being a Space Wolf Successor? Actually I just saw that I did indeed neglect to include this tidbit. Genetically, the Gene stock of the Blood Brothers comes from the Imperial Fists. The Blood Brothers have no interest in being recognized for the association with a Primarch, and frankly kind of suck at record keeping anyway. So they've forgotten what Primarch they are descended from and don't actually care enough to find out. The Imperial Fists by comparison dislike the Brothers because of their dismissal of ordered battle drills and discipline. So the Blood Brothers don't care that their linieage is from Dorn while the Imperial fists dislike associating with them. Makes the family reunions entertaining.

The Chapter rejecting unoriginal thinking is fine, I get that quite clearly. It's the need for some breadcrumbs for the reader as to how they got to that point that I'm pointing to. As I see it, giving a genesis for how they act goes some way to providing the reader an insight in how the Chapter could act implicitly. I suppose, in a way, it's semi-pychological - if we see how they are, and if we see why they do what they do, we can infer what they'd try to do in a circumstance that's not described in the article.

The thing is, you know where the concepts come from and where they lead - for the readers, we need to be shown, in the IA, where these practices come from. Were they always like this? Did they always reject the codex (as opposed to it happening at some later point)? Either way, why? Where do they get the mindset of rejecting rules and guidelines? Is it from the initial corps of officers they have? Did they get it from the native population that was inducted into their ranks over the years? Is it a reaction to a disaster for the Chapter?

And you have my apologies for assuming the Chapter might be a Space Wolf successor - up to the point that I've read, the only lineage I could imply was from the mention of the Space Wolves in the overview. I'd suggest, as an explanation to the lineage (and lack of interest thereof), that the reasons you've given me so far should be put into the article under Lineage or something. While the Chapter will not care, the reader might. 

This was something I originally came up with to explain the difference between Space Marine Scouts and Blood Claws back in 5th edition, since I was using the Space Wolf Codex to represent the army. Since the Unblooded weren't scouts, using Wolf Scouts didn't fit but the Blood Claws were pretty close in terms of abilities to Grey Hunters. It can just as easily be a combination of blood and... oh the name escapes me just now. Scottish solders used it, it's a blue paint they paint on their faces and as they sweet they're pores open and they absorb something from it that basically gives them a battle high. Whatever the stuff is called. It can be a Cruor version of that combined with blood.

Aha. Woad. Yes. I would still advocate the process as a chemical one rather than one related to a virus (incidentally in keeping with the Scottish inspiration) - perhaps, indirectly, the Blood Fire chemical (as per my initial suggestion) would be some form of combat drug that, if smeared upon the skin (mixed already with astartes blood), triggers an early rush of Larraman's Cells, meaning that the individual marines have a decreased response time in their body's healing factor. However, this does pose a problem - inciting Larraman's Cells without any wounds to heal encourages blood clots. Which is a dangerous thing, obviously. Maybe this has led to an increase in apothecaries in response to these unexpected medical problems. 

Just a thought. ^_^

The Chapter rejecting unoriginal thinking is fine, I get that quite clearly. It's the need for some breadcrumbs for the reader as to how they got to that point that I'm pointing to. As I see it, giving a genesis for how they act goes some way to providing the reader an insight in how the Chapter could act implicitly. I suppose, in a way, it's semi-pychological - if we see how they are, and if we see why they do what they do, we can infer what they'd try to do in a circumstance that's not described in the article.

The thing is, you know where the concepts come from and where they lead - for the readers, we need to be shown, in the IA, where these practices come from. Were they always like this? Did they always reject the codex (as opposed to it happening at some later point)? Either way, why? Where do they get the mindset of rejecting rules and guidelines? Is it from the initial corps of officers they have? Did they get it from the native population that was inducted into their ranks over the years? Is it a reaction to a disaster for the Chapter?

And you have my apologies for assuming the Chapter might be a Space Wolf successor - up to the point that I've read, the only lineage I could imply was from the mention of the Space Wolves in the overview. I'd suggest, as an explanation to the lineage (and lack of interest thereof), that the reasons you've given me so far should be put into the article under Lineage or something. While the Chapter will not care, the reader might.

No worries. I had said I had been basing the army list off the Space Wolves army list so it's not any huge leap of logic to assume I was making them a Wolves successor. I don't recall if it was the Blood Brothers or a different chapter but one of the points I started out with was making the chapter "The Space Wolves" but not being a successor to the Wolves so I had to come up with all these comparatives and explinations to explain the whats and the whys. Like I couldn't have Thunderwolf riders because that's exclusively a space wolf so they ride.... um.... Doom Bulls.... large 3-horned Rhinos... that they raise and bond with over the course of 2 decades.... Yeah.... that's what it is. They're big Rhinos. That bit... and have claws.... Ever see 'James and the Giant Peach'? Yeah the Rhino that ate James' parents. Thats what these guys ride. Or something like that. But yeah trying to make a not-space wolf army.... from the Space Wolf army list... has quit a few challenges. So it's pretty easy to look at what I'm making and see them as being the Space Wolves even though from a lore point they're decended from the Fists.

As for the rejection of the Codex, I think you may have just given me a key to addressing that. Just off the top of my head with no proof reading so be ready for lots of lazy writing. How does this sound:

I had stated that Cruor Prime was a former forge world that had been striped and abandonded by the Mechanicus. What if that's the root of the Brothers disdaine for military order and adherence to rules? Something like 20k years ago the Mechanicum settled Cruor Prime and enslaved the populace for it's work force. Over time the populace became compliant and submissive to the Mechanicus and followed orders with out question, never questioning what they were doing. Ultimatly there was a rebellion which is what prompted the Mechanicus to abandon the world, the resources being largely used and processed already commiting more resources to put down the rebellion just wasn't efficient for them. So the act of rebellion has become a corner stone of Prime culture to never submit to orders simply because they are orders or because it is required. Look at the situation and make your own determiniation about what to do.

Okay a bit of a bullet point approach but that's what you get when it first rolls out of my brain.

Aha. Woad. Yes. I would still advocate the process as a chemical one rather than one related to a virus (incidentally in keeping with the Scottish inspiration) - perhaps, indirectly, the Blood Fire chemical (as per my initial suggestion) would be some form of combat drug that, if smeared upon the skin (mixed already with astartes blood), triggers an early rush of Larraman's Cells, meaning that the individual marines have a decreased response time in their body's healing factor. However, this does pose a problem - inciting Larraman's Cells without any wounds to heal encourages blood clots. Which is a dangerous thing, obviously. Maybe this has led to an increase in apothecaries in response to these unexpected medical problems.

Just a thought. :happy.:

Woad! That's it! I suck with names. As you just saw I can remember the idea and concept, but have a decided problem with linking it to a name.

As for the rejection of the Codex, I think you may have just given me a key to addressing that. Just off the top of my head with no proof reading so be ready for lots of lazy writing. How does this sound:

I had stated that Cruor Prime was a former forge world that had been striped and abandonded by the Mechanicus. What if that's the root of the Brothers disdaine for military order and adherence to rules? Something like 20k years ago the Mechanicum settled Cruor Prime and enslaved the populace for it's work force. Over time the populace became compliant and submissive to the Mechanicus and followed orders with out question, never questioning what they were doing. Ultimatly there was a rebellion which is what prompted the Mechanicus to abandon the world, the resources being largely used and processed already commiting more resources to put down the rebellion just wasn't efficient for them. So the act of rebellion has become a corner stone of Prime culture to never submit to orders simply because they are orders or because it is required. Look at the situation and make your own determiniation about what to do.

Rebellion broke them free from the yoke of oppression and orders. I can see that being an adequate catalyst for how they don't follow explicit rules and orders. Maybe, to further the idea, the native population has a strong inclination towards unspoken rules and social mores/taboos. Behaving as expected is one thing, but being told to do something just isn't done amongst them. Everything is implicit rather than explicit. 

Which leads nicely to your mention of the Chapter not keeping records and not caring who their Primarch is. Perhaps, there is a strong emphasis on the here and now, not the past or the future. They 'live for today'. The trials of past and future generations are their problem alone, not those of today's people. 

Which leads nicely to your mention of the Chapter not keeping records and not caring who their Primarch is. Perhaps, there is a strong emphasis on the here and now, not the past or the future. They 'live for today'. The trials of past and future generations are their problem alone, not those of today's people. 

Huh, I thought I had spelled out that when I laid out how the Brothers don't maintain Cadre numbers the way a Space Marine Chapter maintains Company numbers.

Huh, I thought I had spelled out that when I laid out how the Brothers don't maintain Cadre numbers the way a Space Marine Chapter maintains Company numbers.

In all likelihood, I haven't got to that bit yet. ;)

In all likelihood, I haven't got to that bit yet. :wink:

fair enough. the downside of doing something like 10 years worth of info dumping... it takes time to read through it.

I like what I see here but I know its already been said but please remember that what you intend versus what is written directly affects the readers perspective. I see from the discussion this has already been talked about but I would encourage you to do a draft in word if you are writing when you are tired or late at night (i do the same thing when an idea comes to me) then go back later re-read it and try to look at it from the viewpoint of the reader. Do not assume we will see the same thing you are thinking/intend. Please keep this going, it is a great concept for a chapter.

I like what I see here but I know its already been said but please remember that what you intend versus what is written directly affects the readers perspective. I see from the discussion this has already been talked about but I would encourage you to do a draft in word if you are writing when you are tired or late at night (i do the same thing when an idea comes to me) then go back later re-read it and try to look at it from the viewpoint of the reader. Do not assume we will see the same thing you are thinking/intend. Please keep this going, it is a great concept for a chapter.

Are there any particular examples of what you're referring to?