Blanking out Edryc Setorax's Deathwatch Shoulder Pad

Alcyon

I just impulse bought this guy on eBay to use as a counts-as Shrike, which I know some of you've done - anyone have advice on how they blanked out the DW pad?

I was thinking of just filing it down smooth but I'm worried I'll have to build it back up with GS or something. On the other hand if it's recessed into the pad, maybe I can just GS right over it to make it smooth. Thoughts?

I was thinking of just filing it down smooth but I'm worried I'll have to build it back up with GS or something. On the other hand if it's recessed into the pad, maybe I can just GS right over it to make it smooth. Thoughts?

You do see where the supposed surface of the shoulder pad is, don’t you?

This means:

Filing down the ][ and filling the letters beneath with GS if you want to get rid of them, too.

I’m just wondering how much of it is DW specific. The ][ symbol obviously. The letters are a common motif on DW and GK, but would other chapters use them, too?

As for my Edryc, I’m not sure I’ll remove the DW stuff at all. I read somewhere that SMs after returning from their DW duty often keep their stuff, so if making him a regular veteran or sergeant he wouldn’t have to get it removed.

(He would, ofc., if he was supposed to become Shrike.)

I read somewhere that SMs after returning from their DW duty often keep their stuff, so if making him a regular veteran or sergeant he wouldn’t have to get it removed.(He would, ofc., if he was supposed to become Shrike.)

Not owning the current DW Codex, I read the same, yet also had the impression that the Chapter icons and colors take precidence. So, upon return, the DW pad goes to the right shoulder as the Chapter symbols stays to the left (excepting MkVI style pads).

Chapter icons and colours take precedence. So, upon return, the DW pad goes to the right shoulder as the Chapter symbols stays to the left (excepting MkVI style pads).

This is correct.  Several sources cite this, from FFG's  Deathwatch RPG, to BL's Blood of Asaheim and Rynn's World.

MR.

Dude! Do you have any other angles or even WIP shots?

Not to hand chap, but i'll post some when he's done.

It's a fairly easy kitbash if you've got the bits and pieces;

• Legs and Torso from Edryc
  • Power claws from Calth
  • Jump Pack from a Vanguard squad
  • Helm from the FW upgrade pack (the helm with the skeletal beak style)
  • The guy on the base is taken from Corax's scenic base

Pretty happy with him.

Edited by Amayasu

To the OP, I think it depends on how comfortable you are with green stuff. I for one just chopped off enough of the DW shoulder pad then smoothed it out with a file enough to fit a new pad over it. 

Liquid green stuff I've found not so good at filling shallow gaps, because it contracts as it dries.

Millliput with some water added and mashed into a paste has worked better for me. It is messy though and sawing out the pad and inserting the new one would probably be easier.