Can marines backflip?

Ranwulf

That's so impractical... there is absolutely zero reason to expose yourself like that.

This. Space Marines are strong enough to do a lot of things, especially after including the power armor's own self-sustaining strength and additional boosted strength. You could have Space Marines kill people by breakdancing with power swords attached to their feet, or walking on their hands and juggling tanks with their feet.

You just never see it for the same reason you never see soldiers in real life doing backflips during combat even though some of them can.

Of coarse space marines can backflip. They have the strength and their physique gives them the flexibility. This particular skill however has no real combat value. But, It is useful for gymnastic competition during the Space Marine Olympics........or not:huh.: 

But, It is useful for gymnastic competition during the Space Marine Olympics........or not:huh.:

What heresy is this?! 

We are not to speak of these accursed Olympics again! 

*stares off into the distance*

Coach bad touch.... no

Depends on gravity. Also, I do not think, under normal earth gravity conditions, that a Marine could backflip in armour. Sure, they are strong and movements are enhanced, but we are talking about a ton, pretty abysmal aerodynamic. If it is assisted by something propelling him into the air, sure. From stand? I think Marines can do plenty of stuff on the ground like roll to dodge, but not so much that would separate them from the ground.

Gabriel Angelos, Chapter Master of the Blood Ravens wishes to cry, "Mediocre!", to that display.

Speaking for myself, I'm in agreement with the above. There is no reason a Marine has any need to flip like that unless he is trying to prove a point. Even then, I honestly couldn't say if he would actually be capable of it. Synthetic muscles and enhanced musculature are all well and good, but this is power armour you're trying to flip around in. While it carries the strength to propel itself long distances (See the bridge navigation scene from Ultramarines), I can't see it turning the Marines into acrobats. It's simply 'Rule of Cool', meant to appeal to those who love that sort of display of 'awesome' that sets your characters above and beyond those filthy 'mundanes'.

People do remember that Angelos is like Darth-Vader-levels of machine right? Add to the fact Godsplitter is a Daemon hammer with a Avatar shard within it...it probably screws with physics.

I'll toss my backflip into this arena - there's footage on youtube (which i can't post immediately) of a man backflipping in a full suit of platemail to demonstrate how flexible it is - I don't see any reason why a Marine couldn't, given that the armour actively assists him, unlike platemail which is dead weight.

Can they? Yes.  Should they?  Heresy.

MR.

Honestly looking at the picture and Rendix's movements I don't think he's back flipping at all, it looks more to me like he's launched himself forward and corkscrewed through the air, taking heads as he spins. As to the "can Marines backflip?" debate, I feel that physically they'd be more than capable in normal, but probably not power armour as the backpack would most likely impede such a maneuver.

I'll toss my backflip into this arena - there's footage on youtube (which i can't post immediately) of a man backflipping in a full suit of platemail to demonstrate how flexible it is - I don't see any reason why a Marine couldn't, given that the armour actively assists him, unlike platemail which is dead weight.

Can they? Yes. Should they? Heresy.

MR.

This sums it up perfectly.

The real question should be, how often will they be required to perform such a maneuver?

Hey, terminators can totally somersault, C.S Goto said so.

You know, in that book with the Dark Reaper riding the Wave Serpent like a surfboard. The same one where it's stated that Eldar steal Imperial Tanks to use where possible, because theirs are so weak. The same books where......

Actually, no. Still too soon. The PTSD is real.

Well you've got a super human whose strength is enhanced further by power armour so I can't see why not. If it is directly related to the image in the first post that guy is a chaos follower so could be even more likely depending on his gifts.

Of course, whether or not they COULD isn't nearly as important as whether or not they SHOULD.

Backflipping is not something that I really think fits the imagery of Astartes, who I see more as huge, solid, walking tanks, rather than jumpy flippy twirly things like Aeldari or Deathcult Assassins.