Chaos codex release date 8/5/17

1st is free; you simply replace one piece of wargear that you bought normally for the relic.  Then you can use the relic stratagem to buy more if you want.

For example, in my Iron Hands army, I buy a storm shield for my captain.  I then replace it for free with the Shield Eternal.  If I also wanted to give another character the Axe of Medusa to replace their power axe, I have to pay 1 CP.

Yeeeeeessss Axe of Blind Fury + Burning Talisman juggerlord!

Not quite, unfortunately, it specifically says the 2nd (and/or 3rd) Relic has to be given to a different Character...

When I was reading the stratagem, it was  - I thought - a bit vague, using the term *included* artifacts must be on different characters etc.. - does 'included' mean included in your 1/3CP choices, (which is how I first read it) or *included* in your whole army (in which case, it would be nice if they stated that qualification). Bear in mind, I'm reading the text for this from a YouTube screenshot!

But is there an interpretation where you can put your artefact on your lord, and then spend 3CP and choose 2 more artefacts, put Artifact 2 on the Lord and Artifact 3 on your Sorcerer - Both artefacts *included* in your CP purchases (artifacts 2 and 3) are on different characters (Lord and Sorcerer)...

This *may* be what they intended, but there's a little angel on my shoulder saying that it probably isn't... A FAQ will hopefully clarify. But does the wording seem ambiguous to you?

Did he also confirm that Berzerkers (and by extension Noise Marines) can no longer be taken as troops?

I logged on too late and only caught the back end of his conversation, but that was what it sounded like.

Not a single word in the codex allow you to take Cult troops as troops for EC and WE. Let's just wait hte CSM FAC (SM just got their one) to see if it's on purpose or an oversight. 

Note that WE & EC don't have any rules now, they have lost the rules to be only Khorn/Slaanesh. Nothing forbid the heresy of an Noise Marine squad in a WE army atm. So i'm expecting a very quick update on that point (hopefully with return of NM/Berzerk as troops). 

So EC/WE need to make a Vanguard detachment to bypass this, at the cost of Commands Points. If you want to take daemonette you can also make a Batallion/Brigade detachment with Daemonette as troop and fill it with all units who cant use EC Legion trait (Spawn, Vehicules other than Hellbrute, Daemon Prince).

Or get mad one Chaos cultist. 

Edited by DreamIsCollapsing

Not a single word in the codex allow you to take Cult troops as troops for EC and WE. Let's just wait hte CSM FAC (SM just got their one) to see if it's on purpose or an oversight. 

Maybe this is in anticipation of their own codex releases? It is the same for DG and TS, no?

Death Guard and Thousand Sons aren't even in this codex.  If the WE and EC books were close enough to coming out to worry about, they wouldn't have been in this book to begin with.

It's a pretty serious oversight, one that I'm sure will be resolved with the same "just use the entries from the index" answer as the missing bike and daemonic steed characters.

Death Guard and Thousand Sons aren't even in this codex.  If the WE and EC books were close enough to coming out to worry about, they wouldn't have been in this book to begin with.

It wouldn't be the strangest thing they ever did. It has become apparent to me over the years that GW, at any given time, has a method to their madness, even if it is not easily discernible and subject to abrupt change. They have a logic all of their own.

Note that WE & EC don't have any rules now, they have lost the rules to be only Khorn/Slaanesh. Nothing forbid the heresy of an Noise Marine squad in a WE army atm. So i'm expecting a very quick update on that point (hopefully with return of NM/Berzerk as troops). 

So EC/WE need to make a Vanguard detachment to bypass this, at the cost of Commands Points. If you want to take daemonette you can also make a Batallion/Brigade detachment with Daemonette as troop and fill it with all units who cant use EC Legion trait (Spawn, Vehicules other than Hellbrute, Daemon Prince).

I'm starting to wonder if this isn't an oversight, but perhaps an indication that they may end up with their own codexes, thus leaving them as a forced elite choice no matter how you make your CSM lists?

Also...side note but I would edit the first post if I could, but does anyone have a link or reference to the point adjustments being made in the codex?

I'm trying to prepare for a 'pre-release game' and I know I'm over paying for a lot of stuff....

I'm going to break from the norm here. I like that they are returning to the concept of "not all World Eaters are berserkers, and not all berserkers are World Eaters". At least based on the Twitch stream comments. 

That's really how it was in 7th. I just find it very confusing that they allegedly won't be a troop option. I don't think it would be a big deal except anyone basing a very heavy assault army on Zerkers is going to have a real problem with ObSec (post match play errata).

That's not a new trend lore wise for bezerkers, it's been a thing since at least 5th edition that the black legion specifically aquried the means to implant the butcher's nails in marines and make their own bezerkers.

Yeah I'm not sure what the deal is with WE and EC, I hope they get their cult units as troops but that you also can't take non khorne and slaanesh keyword units across the army. Being able to legally take say rubric marines in a WE detachment would be pretty unfluffy..

I'm honestly not overly worried about getting Noise Marines as troops or not for now. Cultists are cheap enough to fill the troop slots and are worth taking anyway. I can wait with troop Noise Marines until we get our own Codex whenever that may happen.

I mean it would be nice to have a backfield sonic blaster unit being objective secured. I'm more concerned though that WE and EC will just be able to take any mark keyword which wouldn't make much sense, but I suppose we'll know for sure in two days.

Yeah it would be nice but can't have everything I guess. The Codex so far still sounds great. ^^

Right, being able to take units with different marks would be pretty weird but I doubt we will be able to. ;)

I'll be devastated if I can't have Noise Marines as troops in my army. They've been troops since the 3.5 dex and without them I'm struggling to field a Battalion. Noise Marines aren't viable as an Elite choice in my opinion, not when we have Dreads, Termies, Possessed and Chosen in the same slot.

I've used Noise Marines as troops through the good times and the bad and this could well be the straw that breaks the camel's back :sad.:

Well if they aren't troops that will change for sure when EC get their own codex, though of course we have no idea if that's one year away or three so I suppose that's not too reassuring.. Let's just hope they stay troops for EC as they should.

I'm starting to wonder if this isn't an oversight, but perhaps an indication that they may end up with their own codexes, thus leaving them as a forced elite choice no matter how you make your CSM lists?

Also...side note but I would edit the first post if I could, but does anyone have a link or reference to the point adjustments being made in the codex?

I'm trying to prepare for a 'pre-release game' and I know I'm over paying for a lot of stuff....

Look for my post in the Chaos SM Codex in the news section. 

Yeah it would be nice but can't have everything I guess. The Codex so far still sounds great. ^^

Right, being able to take units with different marks would be pretty weird but I doubt we will be able to. :wink:

My first thoughts when I eard NM/KB were not troop slots anymore was : It maybe an oversight, or they did it on purpose now that troop are more valuable coz of Objectif Secure and bringing the more Command point (Batalion & Brigade bring x3 & x9 CP as other detachment).

But since i saw there isn't the "only Slaanesh for EC/Khorn for WE" i think they just forgot to add rules for the monotheist legion (wich isnt a problem for DG/TS as they can't use this codex). 

I'm expecting a FAQ asap to bring back the Only god on his respective legion, and we will see if the troop option come back with it .