=][= Unit(s) of the week: Armoured & Scout Sentinels =][=

duz_

It has come to the Commissariat's attention that some of you have not being keeping up with your regular training requirements. As such we intend to rectify this immediately by commencing an intensive re-education of the command corps. Failure will not be tolerated!

This will be a weekly series of threads aimed at discussing the units available to the Astra Miliatrum in 8th edition. This can become a resource for those finding their feet in 8th and our brothers in arms who have joined the fight in the glorious Imperial Guard.

The next series will cover our highly mobile support elements, Fast Attack.

This particular thread will be dedicated to Armoured & Scout Sentinels.

I had originally planned to do these as two separate entries, however I find these units are somewhat "same, but different" so it would be good to compare and contrast them in the same thread. 

The Scout Sentinels are slightly more mobile (+1") and have a pre-game "scout" move, however they do have a slightly worse armour save. The Armoured sentinel is obviously slightly slower by 1", does not benefit from the "scout" move and has a SV 3+ vs 4+. The Armoured sentinels are +1PL / +5pts more expensive than their lightly armoured brothers. (Personally I think for what they both offer they should be about the same price point). As they are both less than 10 wounds they do not suffer from the degrading profile like most other walkers, however they did lose their relentless rules of previous editions, meaning they will be hitting on a 5+ if they move. Given these are meant to be mobile fast attack units, its highly likely that more often than not you will be suffering that -1 modifier.

The biggest play I can see here (as with many others) is for the Scouts to be area denial unit equipped with heavy flamer.

Armoured sentinels I am not sure about, I had bought 3 of the early release models a couple of years back because they were a steal. My plans in 7th had been to equip them with Auto cannons and patrol the backfield, charging and tying up enemies that deep struck in with their tough AV12 armour. However in this edition this doesn't seem like a viable tactic with only T5 and a SV 3+ , coupled with being able to fall out of combat it seems like an expensive option compared to the Scout Sentinel.

Unfortunately for me the old kits make terrible looking Scout Sentinels and had no heavy flamer (they only make marginally better Armoured sentinels) so I will progress forward with my build and see how they fair. At the very least they are a cheap FA option to fill out a Brigade detachment without me having to go and buy some Scout sentinels (which lets be honest I will probably do at some point, because like Rough Riders I've loved these models since 3rd, but haven't been able to viably play them until now).

So whats your thoughts on Armoured vs Scout Sentinels? Leave the Armoured ones at base, or am I missing some utility of them? It would be great if the Armoured ones got a relentless rule in our codex or a point drop :)

I've spent time trying to make armoured sentinels viable but there is just no reason to take them. You pay 5 points to get +1 save which is not that great, only to lose the scout move which is half the reason you take sentinels.

Scout sentinels with heavy flamers are fantastic though. On top of the deep strike denial possibilities, being able to move 9+9" turn one and flame/charge things is great. They can tie up vehicles or shooty units quite quickly so it forces the enemy to waste firepower on them and they can take a few hits before going down. In a mech-heavy list I wouldn't leave home without them as any shot not going towards your tanks is a good thing.

I think armored sentinels could be used well. Sentinels are tall, but the models are still fairly small, so they're pretty easy to get cover saves for them. T5, 6 wounds, 2+ means that they can afford to laugh at small arms fire. At the same time, no one will want to hit them with anti tank fire, at least not while your Russes and Hellhounds are on the loose. The scout sentinel is probably better, but the armored one is certainly usable. 

Scout Sentinels with flamers (and Powerlifters, which also Scout) can be very useful as a charge deterrent.

Armoured Sentinels, frankly I find them a waste of points. They'll hardly hit anything, as usual.

Agree with whats been said. My standard list has two individual scout sentinels with heavy flamers and a chainsaw. I position them at the deployment line about 24" apart. They scout move forward to turn my bubble into a U shape hoping the opponent isn't paying too much attention to what I did and goes into the U with his forces and 1st turn deepstrikes. My army being mostly elysian then drops everywhere and hits him from all sides. Has worked so far. I have had two tau players get aggravated enough by this tactic to comment on it. One said using my scout sentinels for this purpose was cheesy(as he dropped a Y'varha battlesuit that took out a big chunk of my army until I finally was able to kill it)

Why a lascannon. In my experience thus far with 8th, I have never had a scout sent last long enough to really utilize anything other than a heavy flamer. Usually they get targeted quickly although thankfully after they have done their bubble job.

I use three with power lifter. After lot of try with vary weapon, and seen how long a sentinel will last if your enemy pay attention to it, I decided to avoid any range weapon in favour or three attack which really could do something...

I move forward to get area denial, than if they survive the first turn I move again trying to stop/engage enemy forward units, or divert its attention from other units.

I tried autocannon, H. Flamer, multilaser, but none pay back its point cost...

I've had some success with an armoured sentil armed with plasma cannons. I got it parked in some good cover and sniped elite infantry with it. I am thinking of trying 3 for my brigade near Harker. 3 plasma cannons re rolling ones may prove pretty damaging. But the heavy flamer scouts are still the best bang for your bank.

Why a lascannon. In my experience thus far with 8th, I have never had a scout sent last long enough to really utilize anything other than a heavy flamer. Usually they get targeted quickly although thankfully after they have done their bubble job.

A few reasons which may or may not effect everyone:

1: My group plays using PL, not points. So  the lascannon doesn't cost more, I just prefer to use it.

2: Since I typically run using tons of infantry in a "Astro-mil" list, I'm not to concerned about taking out soft targets. I need more hard target problem solving. Couple it with an HK, and hope to go first. 

3: The other side of my above comment. The enemy will see it as a threat to their armor/monsters. It forces them to have a hard time selecting targets.  Having it be close to the bad guys makes them seem a little more threatening than they are, or maybe they've got a shot angle my tanks do not.  So if the bad guys go first (or on their naturally occurring turn), they dump a ton of shots into a cheap FA slot, not my artillery/tanks. 

I've had one make it to turn 3 before, but that's about as long as they ever make it.

Scout sentinels in groups of 3 with heavy flamers have been my MVPs for several games, they are just such a great unit.  I'm considering running an outrider detachment with 6 of them as individual units though (1 per unit).  I think this would be a VERY good thing to throw into and enemy line first turn because you can potentially tie up 6 units with them and at only 50 points a piece.