Bought some sets but not sure how to build them

Spaz

Hi! Got out of the hobby about 10 years ago, and am finally returning. I've always been a fan of the Raptors chapter and figured I start with them. I've read some on the forum but would like some additional help, if at all possible. Getting a codex has proven to be problematic, however I was able to pick up a few sets, but I'm not sure how to build them.

Namely a commander, a tactical squad, 2 scout squads (I was thinking one all snipers and the other all shotguns) a landspeeder storm and a vanguard veteran squad (thunder hammers and storm shields).

I'm not sure where this will put me points wise or if I can even field what I have but if I remember correctly you need an HQ and 3 troops to start.

Any help is appreciated.

If your squads are the same size of what comes in those boxes... your army figures to be around 600-700 points.  

I like your approach... start simple.  However the battalion detachment is 2 HQs and 3 troops.  If I were you id avoid buying the HQ boxes from GW. The prices on those are completely outrageous.  What you can do to mitigate costs is kitbash HQs using leftover parts from other boxes.  For example, you bought a vanguard vet box and intend to use all the thunder hammers and storm shields.  This will leave you with a ton of spare power axes, power swords, claws, and pistols.  If you could snipe a few pairs of legs from ebay then there is 2nd HQ.  You could make a librarian or an LT with that quite easily.  

Going forward... Figure out what you like and want on the table.  If you want to just talk some trash and rolls dice, get the models you like the most and for the core of your army around those units/models.  Do you like infantry or vehicles?  Flyers or tanks?  Melee or shooting?  Answer those questions first, then try to come up with an army list.  

Here is how I would answer those questions.

Infantry > vehicles

Flyers > tanks

Shooting > melee

So my army is mostly guys on foot with plasma guns, plasma cannons, lascannons, heavy bolters.  I have only 1 rhino/razorback, 1 drop pod(soon to be 0).  I have more shooting than close combat but only slightly.  I have 1 dreadnought.  Since you like raptors, you probably like infantry and maybe flyers?   

Bottom line: Figure out what models you like and what you want your army to be.  

However if you want to win games and be competitive, just copy/paste the top space marines lists that do well at tourneys... simple enough to do.  

Thank you for the great advise. I will definitely build another HQ. For now all I have is what came in the boxes but it sounds like I'm a little short. Thank you for adding it up for me. I've been trying to piece it together based on YouTube reviews of the codex but damn. Lol. I think most in my area play at 1000, 1500 or 2000. So I'll pick something else up, not sure what though, some kind of fire support.

I'm not super competitive, might go to a tourney if it's close enough but I like to have fun. I'm not sure which way to go, the models have evolved quite a bit and most look really good since I last played.

I like the idea of an elite force but understand strength in numbers and volume of shots are probably still a thing. So for now, I think I'd break down as infantry and vehicles being close but more infantry with vehicle support. I've never played with flyers, the concept seems fun though, are there any requirements to field one? Shooting more than melee, but I'd like some close quarter harassing units and to have options. I really like the idea of an all comers list, without the massive spamming that I've seen before.

How would you suggest I build the tactical squad 1x10 or 2x5? The kit doesn't come with enough plasma for x2. Maybe 1x5 combiplasma/plasma and 1x5? plasma pistol+chain sword/bolsters?

Thanks again for your time and all the advise.

Edited by Spaz

What commander? Terminator armour or regular PA one?

I'd definitely build the SM as 2x 5, more troops = more command points and special/heavy weapons. You want to fill as big detachment as you comfortably can.

Small hint, if you want troops or more HQs, look at Start Collecting kits. Usually you get one HQ mini or even whole vehicle free in these...

You really don't want a large number of units for raven guard and their successors. Ensuring going first paired with some key alpha strike units is very important; ideally if you take lots of units, you'll want them storm raven compatible to shave down the number of units you need to deploy.

As for commanders, start with the chapter master Lias Issodon, extremely cool, extremely strong

If youre waiting on the codex BattleScribe and Army Builder are a good place to start the former definitely has smart phone app I dont about the latter.

However they'll get you by with some points and rules until you get a codex.

Look forward to seeing some pics of your progress going up! Why not join our painting challenge too! :D

Thank you for the great advise. I will definitely build another HQ. For now all I have is what came in the boxes but it sounds like I'm a little short. Thank you for adding it up for me. I've been trying to piece it together based on YouTube reviews of the codex but damn. Lol. I think most in my area play at 1000, 1500 or 2000. So I'll pick something else up, not sure what though, some kind of fire support.

I'm not super competitive, might go to a tourney if it's close enough but I like to have fun. I'm not sure which way to go, the models have evolved quite a bit and most look really good since I last played.

I like the idea of an elite force but understand strength in numbers and volume of shots are probably still a thing. So for now, I think I'd break down as infantry and vehicles being close but more infantry with vehicle support. I've never played with flyers, the concept seems fun though, are there any requirements to field one? Shooting more than melee, but I'd like some close quarter harassing units and to have options. I really like the idea of an all comers list, without the massive spamming that I've seen before.

How would you suggest I build the tactical squad 1x10 or 2x5? The kit doesn't come with enough plasma for x2. Maybe 1x5 combiplasma/plasma and 1x5? plasma pistol+chain sword/bolsters?

Thanks again for your time and all the advise.

2x5 is probably better for beginners... takes care of 2 troop slots right away and you dont have to worry about morale very much.  You can always mash them into a single squad later or if you buy a 2nd box of tacs you can always model them for 2 full squads.  

How about plasma/combiplasma in one squad and missile launcher in the other?  That gives you an anti armour unit and a long range multi purpose unit.  You can use all those models interchangeably going forward. 

No non $$ requirements for flyers as far as I know.  Stormtalons are relatively cheap and a nice bullet hose.  Stormravens are better but might be considered beardy.  I'd take the Stormtalon as a first flyer but only because I like the model.  Since you like the idea of an elite force, the Storm Raven seems more suitable for you because it is a transport.  Land Raiders are also cool and pretty good.

Some modeling advice.  Use all your bits... cannibalize every sprue!    

Kits that have hidden value...

1. devastator boxes.  These come with 2 of each heavy weapon which seems annoying at first but once you start building up your collection having spare multimeltas or whatever lying around is just great.  If you spend around $90 on 2 boxes of these you can field 2 dev squads of any configuration and end up with 4 of each of the remaining heavy weapon types to put into your tac squads.  Also, these boxes come with melee options and extra helmets and combi weapons.  

2.  Vanguard Vets... same as above but with close combat weapon options.  You get 5 storm shields, thunder hammers, claw pairs and I think 3 power fists.  You also gets 5-6 chain swords and a ton of pistols.  

3. Tactical Marines.  This kit has a lot of extra helmets/shoulders/hands/arms.  

Other Stuff

1.  Ebay!

Raven Guard have a lot of the beakie helmets.  You can get these for like $1.50 each.  I bought 30 of them a while ago and still havent used them all up.

2. Third Party Bits

https://spikeybits.com/2015/07/the-best-alternatives-to-gw-miniatures-revealed.html

This is a good place to start looking.  I like anvil industries and kromlech.  Don't buy anything from third party if you hate resin though.

https://www.shapeways.com/shops/popbits?s=0&section=--+Raven+Legion  I havent tried these guys yet but their stuff looks amazing.

Thank you guys for all the solid advise. Taking copious notes and it's much appreciated.

@Irbis: It's just the regular commander. I think the getting started comes with a dreadnaught, could be a solid fire support.

@SkimaskMohawk: I looked for Lias Issodon, and couldn't find a model for him. Once I get enough parts together I'll try and make one.

@duz_: Just downloaded battlescribe. Had no idea there was an app, pretty cool and now I can figure out what is allowed for equipment. Thanks man. I had to end up getting my codex form GW directly so it'll be at least a week or two (according to the the tracking info) before I get it. I'll put up some pics when I get this all figured out. I'm not sure how I'm going to go about painting them up just yet. I like the olive drab scheme but need to figure out an application process and buy all the supplies. I'm a pretty slow painter but I'll check out the challenge, might be what I need.

@SanguinaryGuardsman: I will definitely build the Tac squad in that configuration, I wasn't sure if the missile launcher could go into a 5 man squad. I'll take a look at the stormraven, maybe that'll be my next purchase. I apologize but what do you mean by "might be considered beardy"? Is it overpowered? I'm new to my area and haven't established a group yet, so I would like to keep away from being labeled "that" guy, as it really isn't me. I'll keep all the bits for sure! Putting a personal touch in your models is a strong point of this hobby. I forgot how addicting this is. Lol. Are there any Raptor specific bits? Or do they interchange with raven guard? Thanks again.

Are the 25mm bases still okay to use or should I switch them to 32mm? I've read the 25s could be going away and really want to avoid rebasing, if possible.

Thanks again for all help. I'm know you guys get a lot of these "what should I do" questions and taking the time to help a new guy out is really appreciated.

"Beardy" is a term used to describe a unit or list that would be played by neckbeards, AKA "That Guy". Stormravens are very good right now, so a lot of "those" guys are using them.

Just one or two is fine. Those guys use like 6.

Other than shoulder insignia, Raptors and Raven Guard interchange nicely. Look into Plokoone's bits on Shapeways for pads. There's a link in his thread either here or in the News and Rumors subforum.

Bases aren't so important unless you're trying to game the system.

In previous editions the rulebook actually said use what came in the box.

This edition they don't even mention bases in terms of which ones to use.

My rule of thumb is Power armour, T4+ is 32mm, <T3 is 25mm.

Eg Space Marines, Tech Marines, possibly Power Armoured Inquisitors are on 32's

Guardsmen on 25's

(I don't play sisters so I'm not concerned with the face theyre T3 & 3+ ;) )

There are still plenty of players out there with older Space Marine armies with 25mm bases, I left my Scouts on 25mm and my Vindicare assassin

There are also "clamps" / "rings" that you can buy 3rd party which go around 25's to make them 32s which makes converting them easier.

Thank you guys for all the solid advise. Taking copious notes and it's much appreciated.

@Irbis: It's just the regular commander. I think the getting started comes with a dreadnaught, could be a solid fire support.

@SkimaskMohawk: I looked for Lias Issodon, and couldn't find a model for him. Once I get enough parts together I'll try and make one.

@duz_: Just downloaded battlescribe. Had no idea there was an app, pretty cool and now I can figure out what is allowed for equipment. Thanks man. I had to end up getting my codex form GW directly so it'll be at least a week or two (according to the the tracking info) before I get it. I'll put up some pics when I get this all figured out. I'm not sure how I'm going to go about painting them up just yet. I like the olive drab scheme but need to figure out an application process and buy all the supplies. I'm a pretty slow painter but I'll check out the challenge, might be what I need.

@SanguinaryGuardsman: I will definitely build the Tac squad in that configuration, I wasn't sure if the missile launcher could go into a 5 man squad. I'll take a look at the stormraven, maybe that'll be my next purchase. I apologize but what do you mean by "might be considered beardy"? Is it overpowered? I'm new to my area and haven't established a group yet, so I would like to keep away from being labeled "that" guy, as it really isn't me. I'll keep all the bits for sure! Putting a personal touch in your models is a strong point of this hobby. I forgot how addicting this is. Lol. Are there any Raptor specific bits? Or do they interchange with raven guard? Thanks again.

Are the 25mm bases still okay to use or should I switch them to 32mm? I've read the 25s could be going away and really want to avoid rebasing, if possible.

Thanks again for all help. I'm know you guys get a lot of these "what should I do" questions and taking the time to help a new guy out is really appreciated.

I think you could only become "that guy" once you go have more than 2 stormravens.  Although in my first game of 8th I faced a list with 2 fireraptors and guilliman.  It was extremely powerful and would easily crush any balanced list.  

Raptors specific...

http://www.ebay.ca/itm/Space-Marine-Raptors-Shoulder-Pad-Warhammer-40k-Deathwatch-Kill-Team-/162549221183?hash=item25d8b0473f:g:RhsAAOSwi8VZPIGE

Deathwatch shoulder pads with raptor insignias.   I think these will be somewhat hard to find in large numbers on ebay but don't let that deter you from looking.  

Regarding tacitical marines.  You can take 1 special OR 1 heavy per 5 guys .  In a 10 man squad you can take one special and one heavy but NOT 2 of each.  The sarge can always have a combi weapon and some close combat stuff.  

@Claws and Effect: Thanks for explaining the term. I just put in an order for some of Plokoones shoulder pads.

@duz_: Ok, cool. I like the scenic look, so I figure on the easier side of moderate basing should look good. I'm leaning towards Jungle or Swampy, but wouldn't want to rebase, way too much work. I like your logic.

@SanguinaryGuardsman: I just looked up the fireraptor and that kit looks nice! Biased on what you said and the price though I'm guessing it's as OP as it can get. Sounds like it was a rough game. Thanks for the clarification on the Tac squad.

Thanks again guys, I have more of a plan, and knowledge. I just need to start painting up some test models.