is an all big and stompy robot army possible?

Andy Tea

Hi,

Some background first

I've played 40k for years but never had a marine army, however I love the dreadnought model and with vanguard detachments and the new big stompy dreadnought in 8th I started thinking about an all dreadnought army

I started looking a blood angels, but they seem a bit angsty

then I was looking at Iron hands and I like the whole excessive fire power and bionic replacements thing but they cant do all dreadnought unless they use a FW HQ choice

Then I thought why not go green and Loot the dreadnaughts

so an all walker Ork army

As well as Deffdreads and killa kans I could use sentinels, dunecrawlers, elder battle chickens, various tau suits,a mind probed carnifex - the world is my lobster

HQ wise I'm sure I could so some sort of Big Mek/warboss with a cyborg body conversion to look like a walker

sorry its all a bit vague at the moment but I'm at work and don't have access to the book

anyway what do you think?

how would you do an all Ork walker (an Orker?) army?

Cheers

Andy

Hello and Welcome! 

Building an all Dreads, Kans and all things stompy is doable in 8th edition. However, they are all Heavy Support choices. Unless you are also thinking about Mega Nobs, which are Elite choices. Regardless of the slot they sit in there is a detachment just for them...although the name escapes me. 
From what I have seen from 8th edition you might do well with such a list. I'm not 100% sure which way is more "optimal" for such a list, points or Power levels I'm sure either is fine. 
Don't forget your grots!  They will help your Stompy stuff and possibly save the day!  You might want Big meks and Meks as well to fix up any damages walkers on the go. So Burna boys become a good choice as well, in power Levels I think they may be slightly "better" due to the costs of equipping Spaners in the unit.

If your more nihilistic when it comes to your armies, just buy more Kans and Dreads and go for it!  

(I've found the less I care about my Orks survival the better they want to fight!...I guess they want to live after all.!)
As you may be able to tell Orks aren't just an army to collect but and addiction!  
Just pick units you like in a balance you are happy with, start small and have fun!  You'll be hooked in no time!  

Thanks

Spear head is the one that gives you 3-6 heavy support choices, but I'll still need a HQ

we are just using power points at the moment whilst we work out what's going on, plus I'm lazy

I may take some Mega Nobs, it will depend on what HQ I go for but I wouldn't take any infantry that's not big and stompy

Although maybe a unit of grots carrying spare parts could be fun

or Grots in teeny tiny mega armour

hmmm more planning tonight when I get home

Cheers

Andy

Edited by Andy Tea

Stompy lists are great fun, you'll be wanting biker meks for your hqs to follow your things around fixing them. Bonus points for taking a kustom force field to make them more survivable. Kans seem like a winner in this edition, pretty good value for the points, especially if you take big mobs for the bonuses.