Why are the Ultramarines so Psyker friendly?

DogWelder

I've noticed that psykers usually got treated relatively well in the ranks of the 13th Legion and it seems this tradition continued to the Ultramarine Chapter and their Successors in M41. While they may not have it quite as good as in the Thousand Sons, Ultramarine psykers (Librarians, Epistolaries etc.) are treated with a rather high level of respect/camaraderie among their battle brothers and their opinions are valued very highly by the ranking officers. 

Back when the Ultramarine Legion was active, Guilliman always treated his chief Librarian as a highly trusted advisor.. He dedicated an entire section of the fortress of Hera (the Library of Ptolemy) to the memory of the first Ultramarine Chief Librarian named Ptolemy. During the Heresy Titus Prayto, the Chief Librarian at the time, was very close to Guilliman as both a trusted military adviser and the only individual he confided his secret doubts and fears in. In fact, in Unremembered Empire, he seemed to trust Titus more than any of his Chapter Masters or Captains.

In M41, Marneus Calgar has a similar relationship with Varro Tigirius seeing the powerful psyker as a close friend in addition to being his most trusted advisor. 

The Ultramarine successors also put a lot of trust in their Librarians. The Silver Skulls completely trust in their judgements and will not go into battle unless the psykers approve of their course of action. The Novamarines are deeply spiritual and therefore give their Librarians great authority. The White Consuls have their officers trust the Librarius to the point where ranking Captains will put aside his own mission should a Librarian requires the strength of his company for a task of his own. 

I've also noticed very little disdain for psykers as a whole within the ranks of the Ultramarines in the books. They never seem to hate/be repulsed by one just because of their identity but rather due to their actions. 

So I'm curious. Do you agree with my assertion and if so, why do you think this attitude is present within the Sons of Guilliman?

Edited by DogWelder

Marius Gage was the legion 2nd in charge, not  Ptolemy.  I have no idea where you get that notion of psyker being 2nd in charge of the legion. Even after Gage's disappearance, it was always the First Chapter Master who had authority after the Primarch.

As for Guilliman's views.  It is known (from HH: Inferno) that Guilliman supported the Librarius program and was not in favor of sanctioning Magnus.  Ultimately, i think it comes down to pragmatism.  What one does not contest, it concedes.  If his legion is unable to contest psykers, it must concede that the enemy will have psyker dominance over them.  To Guilliman, anything that is not dominance in a field of war is unacceptable.  As such, incorporating battle psykers into his forces would seem like a natural step.  Even post Nikean decree, Guilliman reinstates the librarium when he realizes the need to fight Horus on the psyker front. 

Marius Gage was the legion 2nd in charge, not  Ptolemy.  I have no idea where you get that notion of psyker being 2nd in charge of the legion. Even after Gage's disappearance, it was always the First Chapter Master who had authority after the Primarch.

Oh I was talking more about who the Primarch was personally closest to and whose opinion he valued the most, not who he gave the highest authority. In Unremembered Empire, it seemed this was the case for Titus. But yes I stand corrected about Ptolemy.

Edited by DogWelder

Guilliman valued the opinion of many in his legion.  That is one of his greatest strengths in my mind; his ability to consider other perspectives on issues.  I'll agree with you that his actions set the precedent to allow Ultramarine Librarians to take on the mantle of the sage (both in the legion and the various successor chapters), but being the sage is not quite the same as being 2nd in charge.

I think Guilliman is a Primarch who knew how to delegate, and understand the value of his peers.

Your observation is a good one though... he definitely trusted his Librarians, but I think it's more about 'who' those psykers were. In Tigurius we see (even rules wise) he is extremely gifted in Prescience. This has obvious uses.... in the post Gathering Storm series of short stories, if I recall, Guilliman has a conversation with Tigurius about 'possible future outcomes'. Guilliman is very likely to explore every resource he has when making a larger decision.